Top Gear - last night...

bowfer said:
To be honest,I thought they lost the plot a bit with that one last night.
Going to America for a week and spending USD1000 on cars is one thing,but last night's stunt must have cost hundreds of thousands of pounds !!!
They'll have to be careful.
There's a massive difference between using your imagination and just throwing money at stuff.

I agree, must have been extremly expensive but I guess BBCs budget for Top Gear are enormous since its the number one motor show in the world.

bowfer said:
To be honest,I thought they lost the plot a bit with that one last night.
Going to America for a week and spending USD1000 on cars is one thing,but last night's stunt must have cost hundreds of thousands of pounds !!!
They'll have to be careful.
There's a massive difference between using your imagination and just throwing money at stuff.
I doubt whether there was much difference in cost between the US trip and the Reliant Robin Shuttle episode.

They had two people carriers full of crew on the US trip, and just one cameraman costs > £1000 per day. I bet the US trip cost £200k minimum !

Personally, I thought the most recent show was absolutely brilliant and inspired.

mfspen said:
I doubt whether there was much difference in cost between the US trip and the Reliant Robin Shuttle episode.

They had two people carriers full of crew on the US trip, and just one cameraman costs > £1000 per day. I bet the US trip cost £200k minimum !

Personally, I thought the most recent show was absolutely brilliant and inspired.

Possibly,but the US trip wasn't as overtly expensive as last night's stunt.
I am a massive fan,but I don't want them to get ***** or above themselves,just because they're doing well.
It'll be smashing jewell-encrusted Aston Martins into walls next,just because they can.
JC must have agreed with my thinking,hence he didn't want any part of it.

I think overall it was a good episode last night. I too think it took a while to get going, perhaps the news section went on too long. But I think we were all spoiled by last weeks superb American trip, last night was more of a normal car-programme episode (which should appeal to some folk).

BUT...in true Top Gear style, they brought it back with humour and sheer amazing stuff at the end.

I think the guys from Glossop did an fantastic job making the rocket. I could not believe my eyes when it started to lift off and go straight up into the air. I said to the missus "is that really lifting off"!! It was just unbelievable! I don't think Hammond or May could believe it either. We've hardly stopped talking about it in the office - who would think a CAR programme would provide so much discussion.

Roll on next Sunday!

AL

Well, I'm not sure the rocket piece would have been that expensive really, and anyway, the programme has a budget and it has to be stuck too!

I am pretty sure that most of the cost of the project will have been funded via a Government research programme as it was actually a serious attempt at making a rocket and the 'boffins' will have been funded to do it via their respective Universities.

They will have involved Top Gear just to give it some profile.

All IMO of course!

bowfer said:
Crikey,the 145 is going back a bit !
I think my desire to own Alfas harks back to the Alfasud days.
God,I always wanted an Alfasud,but by the time I passed my test they'd all rusted away !
Me too. My Dad had a Alfasud 1.2Ti in 1975, & you could not believe the way it drove. It was just joy unconfined. It only had 68bhp and 165/70 X 13 tyres, but it drove with a purity that is completely missing from modern FWD, power-steered, traction-controlled power monsters. And the smoothness of that litttle boxer as it soared to 7,000rpm was astonishing. But listen carefully, and you could hear it rusting in the garage at night.

When I was a 21 year-old student, I managed to blag a brand new Alfa 33 on 24 hour test drive from Arnold Clark in Edinburgh. I picked it up at 9am & by Midday was blatting up the A82 from Balloch to Fort William, with a very impressed GF in the passenger seat!

Wonder when they review the new S3?

Probs in the winter series as it won't have been released to the press by the time they filmed the current series?

They actually film most of the programme content quite late, ie about 2/3 weeks ago for last sundays show, that being the studio stuff and the stig hot laps, star in a car stuff, and the review of cars at the track. My mate crews a rescue ambulance down there a couple of times a month, that's the only reason I know. If you think about some of the jibes they make on the show, some of them are quite topical so they can't have been filmed that long ago.

Stuff like the rocket and other special features probably were filmed some time ago though, maybe even last summer.

The latest Top Gear mag has a review of hot hatches, and the S3 wasn't in there, so maybe they won't review it, but then again they might consider the S3 a cut above that class (I do! ;o)) so maybe saving it for later?

Mind you, the show and the mag don't always do the same thing.

I don't think they'll bother with the S3,will they ?
No offence,but Jeremy Clarkson has always said they'll aim to test drive 'supercars' which the general public can only dream of.
He's stated he doesn't see the point of testing cars that 'anyone' can go down to the dealer and get a test drive of,which you could with an S3.

Well for what it's worth I think Top Gear is absolute quality.

In the world of TV which we seem to live in at the moment, with 100's of channels of complete crap (oh, and repeats of Open All Hours and Dad's Army in primetime slots), Top Gear is a ray of sunshine and proves we *can* still make entertaining TV shows given enough money - oh, and it can attract the audience it deserves too.

Oh and as for cost, with the amount of channels that TG is sold to around the world I suspect they will have broken even quite quickly.. ;)

Forgot to say, used to drive an Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 Twinspark (T-plate). Man, what a noise! I've never experienced such passion in a car before, or after.

However, I've also never experienced something quite so unreliable! Immobiliser problems, hydraulic problems (roof), handling problems, headlight problems... And Alfa is let further down by the quality of their service franchises - they didn't know how to fix our immobiliser (which had completely disabled the car).

Just my own experience, you understand ;)

MarcQuinlivan said:
didn't they have the focus st on a while back, along with some other "lesser" hot hatches? I also doubt that just "anyone" can nip down to their dealer and get a drive in the S3. I would hope they are a bit more selective in who they let drive them- no tracksuits, no burberry, etc.

Good to see the old Audi brand snobbery is still alive and well....

;-)

Again,no offence,but I'm not particularly interested in seeing them test a relatively run-of-the-mill car like the S3 (RS3 maybe though).
I bet it would be an incredibly dull track test,with nothing more exciting than some understeer to watch.
I want to see fire-breathing monsters being thrashed to death.
Cars that,when checking the lottery on Sunday morning,I very nearly thought I was going to be able to afford,but I fell at the last hurdle and 'only' got 5 numbers out of 6...
£3042 ain't going to get me anything exciting...
:)

Bowfer, that's a killer!

I got 5 numbers on the lottery a few years ago, and got about £2.5k, and although that's better than a kick in the whatsits, the thought of what you get with just one more number made me feel a bit sick!

I spent mine on a new telly!

:eek:)

The odds of getting 5 numbers are,allegedly,around 54000/1.
The odds of getting 6 numbers are,again allegedly,around 14,000,000/1
The difference is quite incredible !

I could buy a remote control Lambo though.

Bowfer's RS3 comment has just reminded me...

A couple of days ago somewhere near Reading - on the A329(M) possibly - I saw an blue A3 with a somewhat dubious bodykit and exhaust setup. On the back was a reasonably large DIY "RS3" logo :)

Now the thing is, I don't know if it's a serious attempt at a performance A3 or just a bit tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps the owner is lurking around this forum somewhere and can enlighten me?

Tooks said:
I got 5 numbers on the lottery a few years ago, and got about £2.5k, and although that's better than a kick in the whatsits, the thought of what you get with just one more number made me feel a bit sick!
Same thing happened to me 5 right and the sixth number was 23 and I had 24!!
Never done the lottery since! Won £3200 - can't remember what we did with it - probably spent most of it on wine, women & song ---- and wasted the rest!:lmfao:

Well they tested the Focus ST, Golf R32, and think of some of the other cars...Megane Cabriolet, Fiat Panda the list goes on....

I'm sure they will as just about every car magazine is rating it at the min including Top Gear magazine (the one with Richard Hammond on the front), it went round the track just over 2 secs quicker than the R32!

Nothing wrong with reviewing S3 actually. I kinda liked the episode back in the days with R32 vs. 130i. So, they're not supercars, yet it's about how you do it, and it was two cars that actually interested me. It's still expensive small car, not something every people buy every day ;)

- Yak