Top 5 or 10 VAGCOM options

Chris4410

Reaction score
Hi all,

With my car due to arrive in a couple of months I was just wondering if there was a "Top 5 or 10" options that owners recommend having enabled.

Cheers,
Chris

Would be interested in this too and hope it doesn't get merged into the main VCDS mods thread haha (too much going on in there)

I'll start with some I'm interested in for when I get my car

Passenger mirror dip when in reverse (although someone says this happens anyways if you set the mirror control stalk to the passenger position?)

Oil temp on all screens of the DIS

Possibly interested in alarm short beep when locking the car

1. Oil temp in DIS.
2. Stop/Start deactivated.
3. Front PDC auto activate.
4. DRLs off and wiper service position menus added to MMI.
5. Visual confirmation of comfort close.

That's my top 5 of the VCDS mods I have active. There are many others depending on vehicle equipment and configuration from the factory.

Reactions: Wondering Soul and xBox
Anybody in Gloucestershire that can do these to mine,when it arrives in March

1. Oil temp in DIS.
2. Stop/Start deactivated.
3. Front PDC auto activate.
4. DRLs off and wiper service position menus added to MMI.
5. Visual confirmation of comfort close.

That's my top 5 of the VCDS mods I have active. There are many others depending on vehicle equipment and configuration from the factory.

Thats a great list! I have 1&5 and wouldn't mind 2&3 :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Any more explanation on what 5 does please?

I think Rob meant audible - car chirps on lock/unlock. Great if you don't have fold mirrors on lock and are in a noisy environment, so cant hear the locking action.

I think Rob meant audible - car chirps on lock/unlock. Great if you don't have fold mirrors on lock and are in a noisy environment, so cant hear the locking action.
Ahh okay, same as I mentioned on my post then

Can you confirm if it is a very short beep of the alarm buzzer or car horn?

Want to get it done, but don't want it to be more annoying than anything haha

5 is if you want to lock your car whilst any windows are open or if the sunroof is tilted open or slid back. Keep the lock button pressed on your key fob to operate global close and hold ....

When closing is complete the indicators (hazards) will flash once to tell you so that you know when you can release the key fob button.

It is different to the lock/unlock chirp I have this live via VCDS but inactive using MMI menus as I tended not to need it.

Reactions: azibux1
Ahh okay, thanks!

With regards to the chirp, is it an alarm chirp or horn chirp?

Lock/unlock chirp is exactly a chirp best word to describe it - I think it's maybe a 1/4 second burst from the alarm siren but very subtle.

That's great

A few nice things you can do in VCDS... Just trying to warrant the cost of a genuine cable! It's quite a lot haha and doesn't seem to be any active users nearby to me on the VCDS map

In no real order, and only the ones available via VCDS:

1) Beep on Lock / Unlock with MMI Menu (cannot be done on 2015 cars)
2) Visual Confirmation of Comfort Closing
3) Visual Parking Display
4) DLR's Off in switch position 0
5) Auto Daylight Savings Time
6) Needle Sweep
6) Oil Temp Display
7) Rear Lights are DLR
8) Fog Lights as Static Cornering Lights
9) Disable Central Locking Auto Un-lock when key removed from ignition
10) DRL Brightness while indicating

There are so many more options tho... I would suggest reading the main VCDS thread and checking out the document linked in my signature :)

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Ignition1
5 is if you want to lock your car whilst any windows are open or if the sunroof is tilted open or slid back. Keep the lock button pressed on your key fob to operate global close and hold ....

When closing is complete the indicators (hazards) will flash once to tell you so that you know when you can release the key fob button.

It is different to the lock/unlock chirp I have this live via VCDS but inactive using MMI menus as I tended not to need it.

Oops, sorry Rob :respekt:

That's great

A few nice things you can do in VCDS... Just trying to warrant the cost of a genuine cable! It's quite a lot haha and doesn't seem to be any active users nearby to me on the VCDS map

Just do it mate....

Ive just today got one, for £258 delivered brand new.
I own an S3 and the wife collects a new A1 tomorrow.
I kinda fugured that the cars we have enjoyed the most have been VW / Audi, so I will keep hold of it until they decide to change the OBD plug style....which is a good few years away hopefully!

Anybody in Gloucestershire that can do these to mine,when it arrives in March
I am Cirencester based, and have the VCDS cable. I've done a few of the above mods so should be able to help you out.

Reactions: a4zac and (deleted member)
Thanks to DJAlix, I have -

1. Left wing mirror dip when reversing (VERY useful). Would be great to toggle it so it also dips the right side as well if that mirror is selected.

2. Rear DRLs on. Personally I like the LED DRLs on the A3, both front and back - not sure why people want to turn them off? Interested in opinions.

3. Needle sweep on start up

4. Acoustic lock/unlock - single chirp for lock, two chirps for unlock. They can be quite loud especially in closed area like a multi-storey car park but I like the sound.

sorry to hijack, but this dimming of mirrors when in reverse, is this just a programming thing or does anything need adding?

sorry to hijack, but this dimming of mirrors when in reverse, is this just a programming thing or does anything need adding?
Mirror Dipping requires Electrically Adjustable mirrors to work. Once coded it functions by leaving the mirror selector switch in the passenger side position and once reverse gear is selected the mirror will "dip" to a user selected position.

Only one i would like is the oil temp.
Having neither oil or water temp seems wrong. The boost gauge to me is a waste. Just a gimmick. Would far prefer a temp gauge there.
To only show oil temp on lap timing function seems very odd to me.
In my racing days all i had was a rev counter and temp gauge. Most important gauges imo. Ok have to have speedo on the road ( no value on the track).
Must check if the * button gives the option to toggle the lap timer in the DIS. Currently have it set for drive select.

Only one i would like is the oil temp.
Having neither oil or water temp seems wrong. The boost gauge to me is a waste. Just a gimmick. Would far prefer a temp gauge there.
To only show oil temp on lap timing function seems very odd to me.
In my racing days all i had was a rev counter and temp gauge. Most important gauges imo. Ok have to have speedo on the road ( no value on the track).
Must check if the * button gives the option to toggle the lap timer in the DIS. Currently have it set for drive select.
I would also like to have the oil temp in the main DIS display plus 'Mirror Dip'...
Anyone in North Wales area willing to sort this out for me??:friends:

Mirror Dipping requires Electrically Adjustable mirrors to work. Once coded it functions by leaving the mirror selector switch in the passenger side position and once reverse gear is selected the mirror will "dip" to a user selected position.
You can set the dipped position? That is ideal if so! I was concerned about getting someone to activate the feature for me (if I don't buy the cable), then being stuck with it dipping too much and being annoying haha

Did someone say these things likely cannot be done by a dealer?

Ok thanks all, so from those options I would like.

1. Alarm chirp when arming
2. Needle sweep
3. Dipping mirror when reversing
4. Visual Parking Display.

Reactions: steelfish
Can you enable the visual parking display even if you just have rear sensors?

+1 for mirror dip (don't need if you have folding mirrors as this is standard I think)
+1 for needle sweep :)
+1 for visual parking for rear sensors only

would like alarm chirp, but I don't have it working on my 65 plate :-(

will be doing visual confirm of (remote) comfort close next.

in the Swindon area (but not currently a map user) if you'd like assistance :)

Reactions: Zak0123 and Rob2k68
+1 for mirror dip (don't need if you have folding mirrors as this is standard I think)
+1 for needle sweep :)
+1 for visual parking for rear sensors only

would like alarm chirp, but I don't have it working on my 65 plate :-(

will be doing visual confirm of (remote) comfort close next.

in the Swindon area (but not currently a map user) if you'd like assistance :)

Nice !!

Yep passenger draw down is standard with the power fold mirror option. The VCDS mirror dip is well worth doing but from what I've seen on my previous Leon and other A3s I've done this too it may need a slight adjustment tweak every month or so. Think the mirror is missing some sensors or something that stores the exact position - still well worth having tho!

Great news (for me at least) that it seems to work perfectly from factory if you spec folding mirrors (strange though, as surely all you should need it adjustable mirrors haha)

Reactions: Zak0123
In no real order, and only the ones available via VCDS:

10) DRL Brightness while indicating

There are so many more options tho... I would suggest reading the main VCDS thread and checking out the document linked in my signature :)
Do you mind if I please ask what you changed in 10? Is the S3 one of the models where the DRL normally turns into the indicator?

^^ There is legislation relating to proximity of indicator and DRL - if they are close then the DRL must dim to make the indicator more obvious.

Reactions: azibux1
^^ There is legislation relating to proximity of indicator and DRL - if they are close then the DRL must dim to make the indicator more obvious.
Which is why I have configured mine dim to 30% instead of 0 :)

Do you mind if I please ask what you changed in 10? Is the S3 one of the models where the DRL normally turns into the indicator?
Xenon Lights have separate DRL and indicator lights. LED Lights have combined DRL and Indicator lights.

To change the brightness of Xenon DRL while indicating:
  • 09 - Central Elect
  • Adaptation - 10
  • (10) - Leuchte2SL VLB10-dimming CD 2
  • (10) - Leuchte3SL VRB21-dimming CD3
Value = %

Have never had a request to do this on LED lights so cannot advise.

I think it might be a good idea to keep Adaptation and Coding related questions within the VCDS Mods thread if possible so as not to confuse things...

Thanks guys

Sorry for any confusion, when I asked what you changed, I meant in general what was the outcome from what you changed... rather than requesting the specific coding details

Thanks though :) And yes, will keep specifics of coding to the other thread :)

Thanks guys

Sorry for any confusion, when I asked what you changed, I meant in general what was the outcome from what you changed... rather than requesting the specific coding details

Thanks though :) And yes, will keep specifics of coding to the other thread :)
Oh lol My bad.

Default behaviour of the DRL's when indicating is to switch off for the duration of the indication:

Left indicator on = Left DRL off
Left indicator off = Left DRL on

My change functions as follows:

Left indicator on = Left DRL dims / fades down to 30% of it's max brightness
Left indicator off = Left DRL returns / fades up to 100% brightness

Is it legal to turn DRL's off? And why would you want to do it?
I believe that as of 2013 any road going vehicle has to have DLRs on permanently from ignition 1st position. Some EU safety thing.

I have recoded mine so they are off in light switch position 0 so I can sit in the car using VCDS etc etc without lighting up the street in the evenings :)

Oh lol My bad.

Default behaviour of the DRL's when indicating is to switch off for the duration of the indication:

Left indicator on = Left DRL off
Left indicator off = Left DRL on

My change functions as follows:

Left indicator on = Left DRL dims / fades down to 30% of it's max brightness
Left indicator off = Left DRL returns / fades up to 100% brightness
Ha no worries

Do you know about the legality of your change you've made?