Too much smoke out of exhaust

djb83

redline responsibly
Reaction score
:sos:HELP started up the s3 yesterday when it was cold and it had a bit of excess steam/smoke thought it would clear thogh it didnt was still doing it this morning so i ran it for about 15mins on tick over and it's still doing it any ideas what it could be theres no sludging in the water and oil as yet so i hope it's not the head gasket and i dont think it's the turbo so is there any issues with the s3 that would do this ? :blownose:

Does the smoke smell very rich in fuel as such?

Sounds normal enough to me, with the arrival of the colder weather the smoke is bound to be more noticeable. If it's blue smoke then you have reason to be concerned.

I was thinking along lines of secondary air pump as I had 2 go down the toilet on me on my S3 & this directly affects the CAT, to help heat it up in cold weather, thus helps to burn of unspent fuel in the exhaust gases.

A little read up:

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/TT/Audi_TT_Sec_Air.pdf

Last edited:
ive got white smoke in the cold - its perfectly normal, as its fine when its warm outside etc... Best thing is to look at a few other cars and see if you see smoke on them - if so you know its the conditions.

thanks for the replies lads i took it to a mechaic m8 and he says it smells like the cat because its white steam and not blue smoke he says ive not to worry thak god :rockwoot:

I was thinking along lines of secondary air pump as I had 2 go down the toilet on me on my S3 & this directly affects the CAT, to help heat it up in cold weather, thus helps to burn of unspent fuel in the exhaust gases.

A little read up:

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/TT/Audi_TT_Sec_Air.pdf

cheers for the link m8 im now thinking you might be right about the secondary air pump a had a screeching noise off t for a wee while when it was cold but it stopped seems intermitent so me thinks i'll replace it is it an audi only part or can i get it cheaper elswhere ? chers again lads:hi:

That really does sound like the secondary air pump mate cause it only lasts for a few minutes when its cold anyway, I would hazard a guess its got water in it at some point as mine did from the cracked plastic pipe that comes of the airbox, mine made this horrific screeching loud noise on my S3 & my S4 B6 had a noise to but hey that was a V8 so seemed normal, but the S3 one was far from normal, so changed out & noise went away.

Buy new cause then if goes again can get it swapped out within 2 years, expensive but so worthwhile if you really think its this, tell you what to do though, could try unplugging the loom from the pump & see if noise goes away, before starting up in morning, its fine to do for few minutes to test this theory.

Also mate I can now recall from memory on cold mornings the S3 was more smoky when I had the issues, now from this it would be my 1st port of call but upto you at end of day.

yup agree with NHN, it is renowned for it, but not for 15 minutes of running....

well am going to try the (fix) for it and if that dosent work it'll be a new one but the car does seem rich smelling and its smoky most of the time not only when its cold !!!!

Mine does it if i only do the weekly commute of 20 mile a day, short journeys like this dont do the car much good really . Take it for a decent drive and it might clear for a while .

Is the secondary airflow pump is only for emissons? If so, then can it actually do any damage if it's not working correctly - apart from to the environment maybe :p ?