Too Much Oil and White Smoke on Startup

Chrismawa

Reaction score
My local garage changed my oil and filter 2 weeks ago. Checked the oil and its been overfilled. The pic below shows the current level on the stick. Do you think this will be ok or need taking out? Uploadfromtaptalk1390139012645

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd personally drain some out and get it right although a small amount over the mark shouldn't cause any issues. It's when its a good litre or so over it causes leaks to occur.

Its not very clear in the pic but if its more than a few mm over and you don't use much I would take some out and don't go there again

Cheers. Its started smoking on startup since the oil change. Is this the car burning the extra off?

Reading around there isn't any certainty what the white smoke is from? The smoke only happens on a cold start and stops once the car is warm. Could this be glow plugs? The car is also rough starting on cold start.

The white smoke could be steam from condensation built up in the exhaust when cooling down - which is more noticeable in the colder weather and completely normal.

If it is smoke, than it will linger around.

The white smoke could be steam from condensation built up in the exhaust when cooling down - which is more noticeable in the colder weather and completely normal.

If it is smoke, than it will linger around.

I think it is smoke like as its a bit smelly as well.

White isn't oil that's blue.Quite normal for some on cold start.Is it diesel?That will always smell.A little extra oil isn't a worry only when is a lot and there for long

On a cold day mines a bit rough and the steam can sometimes look really bad.....if its a diesel like mine it stinks too, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cheers guys. Yeah its a 1.9 TDI 130. I'll keep an eye on it - hopefully just the colder weather at the moment!

You need to watch it if you think it different since the oil change.Probably coincidence but it shouldn't get worse and white exhaust should drop as it gets warmer.Wouldnt be surprised if they spilt some oil and that may be burning off somewhere.This type of job is often left to the boys to learn on

a good way to remove oil is to feed a pipe down dip stick tube connected to fat syringe and draw it out this way!
i had to do this on my a4 when i first got it it and overfilled by about half a litre!
it smoked a lot at the time too!

Reactions: Chrismawa
Just to add, my 1.9 diesel also chucks out a lot of white smoke on cold mornings when first started and so did my 1.9 diesel vrs.
Perfectly normal to me.

Cheers for the info. It may be coincidence, but I just don't remember seeing this happen before the oil change. Ill see how it goes, may try the syringe method above to remove some oil and get it down to the exact level.