Too many owners?

dale taylor

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just looking to purchase my first RS3 this week but I just wanted to check regarding former owners on the one Ive found.
Its an early 16 plate with 2 previous so three in total and the first being Audi as a demonstrator.

Would you say look for lower owners as I'm wondering if this would be an issue further down the line if I try to sell it.

Also this will be a daily for myself and wife and thoughts on if the S3 would suit it better or is the rs3 an easy daily?

Thanks for your time

Hi,
I'm just looking to purchase my first RS3 this week but I just wanted to check regarding former owners on the one Ive found.
Its an early 16 plate with 2 previous so three in total and the first being Audi as a demonstrator.

Would you say look for lower owners as I'm wondering if this would be an issue further down the line if I try to sell it.

Also this will be a daily for myself and wife and thoughts on if the S3 would suit it better or is the rs3 an easy daily?

Thanks for your time

Probably couldn’t afford payments etc.
Front discs and pads will cost around a grand.
I paid £700 ish for 4 tyres.
Insurance is likely high for most people.
I pay £459 a month for mine (2015). That’s more than my mortgage. If you drive it pretty hard it’s gonna cost a lot in fuel.
If it’s been serviced when it should have been, surely not too much damage could have been caused in the short time it’s been alive.
If it had 5 owners I’d be concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for your time

Certain cars seam to have many owners from new. Porsche GT cars and Ferraris etc will always have many owners early on. Same can be said for Audi RS cars (though not to the same extent) as some people get one to be seen in the latest toy, then quickly move on to the next `in car`, while others take out finance and either circumstances change, or it ends up costing more than they thought. PCP deal is one thing, fuel, Tyres, insurance etc don't get taken into consideration.

I'd dismiss the first owner being the dealership, as it may have been sold the first day they registered it. Or it could have been hammered for 3 months? So 2 proper owners in 3 years on an RS3 is probably right given the cost / running expenses of these cars.

It's always better to pick up a well looked after 1 owner car, and if you wait around long enough you'll find one. Best advise is if in any doubt's about a car or it's history, is to simply walk away.

Certain cars seam to have many owners from new. Porsche GT cars and Ferraris etc will always have many owners early on. Same can be said for Audi RS cars (though not to the same extent) as some people get one to be seen in the latest toy, then quickly move on to the next `in car`, while others take out finance and either circumstances change, or it ends up costing more than they thought. PCP deal is one thing, fuel, Tyres, insurance etc don't get taken into consideration.

I'd dismiss the first owner being the dealership, as it may have been sold the first day they registered it. Or it could have been hammered for 3 months? So 2 proper owners in 3 years on an RS3 is probably right given the cost / running expenses of these cars.

It's always better to pick up a well looked after 1 owner car, and if you wait around long enough you'll find one. Best advise is if in any doubt's about a car or it's history, is to simply walk away.

Thanks for the feedback.
this is going to be used daily with school drop, day to day use etc so was wondering if its too much in someones experience or will the s3 be sufficient.
insurance is pretty low to be honest but fuel doesn't sound the best.

Think you need to give more detail in what you mean as suitable as a daily?

My RS is my daily, all city miles, to shops, work & gym. It’s absolutely fine to be used for this. It’s a car at the end of the day.

Just consider what the OP has said with regards to running costs. An S3 will be a LOT cheaper. This may or may not be an issue for you, I don’t know.

If it is and this is your question around daily then I’d swerve the RS. Your looking at 120 miles out of a tank £60-70, brakes/pads 1k, tyres expensive, servicing expensive, my 3rd year 1k.

All of this said I’m happy to keep pouring money at it cos I love the car and it’s an RS, there not cheap but that sound

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
Hi,

Thanks for your time
I have both cars and the s3 is alot cheaper to run. Insurance, brakes, servicing, tyres, etc is approx double, although brakes are near triple if you get them done at a main dealer as they are 1075 for front dishs and pads, whereas at the main dealer fir tye s3 they were 319.

Driving wise there is no comparison, the s3 is a quick car but the rs3 saloon is much quicker, sounds better, handles slot better, looks better. However the rs3 is alot more to buy.

I'd say the s3 or golf r and maybe the merc a35 are the best value cars you can buy and run, more power than you'll need 99% of the time, cheap to run for a performance car, look good.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Hi,

Thanks for your time

Has the 16 plate any warranty left ?

Is it for sale at an Audi Dealer

You need to be wary of these PFL cars being 'messed' with then put back to standard and moved on, you don't want to buy someones 'plaything' that's been abused......

Probably best to get a reg and picture etc and put it on here to see if it has been a forum member car.

Fuel as others have said, 99 ron is the best for these cars, so £60-70 a fill up, wont last long (120-200 miles on town driving)

Servicing anywhere from £180 (oil change indie) to £390 at Main dealers

Inspection service generally more at £ 390 - 500

Maintenance items......

Front discs can be had for £500 a pair if you look hard enough and are easy to change

OEM pads £ 350 a set

You could got aftermarket with the discs and fit Reyland 2 piece fronts at £ 760 a set, these allow you to just swap the disc part come replacement time which is significantly cheaper.

Ferodo pads are a good upgrade choice in either DS performance at £132 a set (you need 2 sets, 1 for each side) or DS2500 at £270 a set online.

Insurance is on the rise with RS models i've noticed this year so anywhere from £400-£900

I'd say the s3 or golf r and maybe the merc a35 are the best value cars you can buy and run, more power than you'll need 99% of the time, cheap to run for a performance car, look good.

^^^ This

Look at the new A45 S. £15,000 premium over the A35. Yes, it's quicker, but will you honestly use that on a daily basis? Doubt it very much.

A well specced A35 would be my choice over the A45S

Has the 16 plate any warranty left ?

Is it for sale at an Audi Dealer

You need to be wary of these PFL cars being 'messed' with then put back to standard and moved on, you don't want to buy someones 'plaything' that's been abused......

Probably best to get a reg and picture etc and put it on here to see if it has been a forum member car.

Fuel as others have said, 99 ron is the best for these cars, so £60-70 a fill up, wont last long (120-200 miles on town driving)

Servicing anywhere from £180 (oil change indie) to £390 at Main dealers

Inspection service generally more at £ 390 - 500

Maintenance items......

Front discs can be had for £500 a pair if you look hard enough and are easy to change

OEM pads £ 350 a set

You could got aftermarket with the discs and fit Reyland 2 piece fronts at £ 760 a set, these allow you to just swap the disc part come replacement time which is significantly cheaper.

Ferodo pads are a good upgrade choice in either DS performance at £132 a set (you need 2 sets, 1 for each side) or DS2500 at £270 a set online.

Insurance is on the rise with RS models i've noticed this year so anywhere from £400-£900

Thanks all for the replies.
Its starting to sound like I the S3 might be the better car to choose for what its going to be used for. The dealer did mentioned I should retain around low 30's to mid 30's on fuel which sounds way out hearing what you all are saying.

Its starting to sound like I the S3 might be the better car to choose for what its going to be used for. The dealer did mentioned I should retain around low 30's to mid 30's on fuel which sounds way out hearing what you all are saying.

Very optimistic figures I’d say.

On a run yes but town driving an RS3 hmmm

I visit the Petrol station once a week spending on average £50-60 on Momentum.

Car is only used to work and back so 120 - 150 miles a week.

My PFL averaged the same.

They are better on a run though, we go on UK holidays a lot and on the last one to Northumberland I did 180 miles on 1/2 a tank.

Ha I avrg about 16MPG

If you were using it on quick A and B roads and motorways like me it will return about 25 mpg
On a motorway below 80 mph it returns about 32 mpg
Mixture of town and work journeys about 20 mpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I had a PFL S3 from brand new. Was a great all rounder, but after a year i was craving n RS3.
Picked up my PFL in April, well worth the extra costs. The S3 was great but the RS3 is on another level, especially the sports exhaust!

Reactions: NevMan and Terminator x
3 year old car with 2 owners is as good as it gets - especially if the first owner was a main dealer

When I had my RS3 we also had a S3 too. The RS is superior to the S3 in every department imho. Oh and the noise! Not much around under £100k sounds better to my ears.

If you can afford the RS, do it.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rdj, Adi7r and Snake Pliskin
When I had my RS3 we also had a S3 too. The RS is superior to the S3 in every department imho. Oh and the noise! Not much around under £100k sounds better to my ears.

If you can afford the RS, do it.

TX.

Just driven home with the windows down in Dynamic & boy oh boy that 5 cylinder howl never fails to impress ... frickin awesome sound :icon thumright: :bluecar::dashsymbol::dashsymbol::boom::boom:

Reactions: NevMan, T-800, Dan_DJT and 3 others

In the RS3 you will get 20ish mpg, lower in the city. Being a previous owner of an RS3 and M140i i would seriously consider the M140i over the RS3 and defently over the S3. That b58 engine with BM3 tune and ZF gearbox is close to perfection for a lot less money.

In the RS3 you will get 20ish mpg, lower in the city. Being a previous owner of an RS3 and M140i i would seriously consider the M140i over the RS3 and defently over the S3. That b58 engine with BM3 tune and ZF gearbox is close to perfection for a lot less money.

But a lot less ‘all-weather’ ability

Especially for wife and kids.

RS3 / S3 unflappable in every weather.

BMW can barely keep things together down a straight road

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
But a lot less ‘all-weather’ ability

Especially for wife and kids.

RS3 / S3 unflappable in every weather.

BMW can barely keep things together down a straight road

Thats why you should never cheap out on tiers :) with mps4s and sport + you will have good grip in most weathers. Also having no turbo lag and a non clunky gearbox is gold for me.

Around town I’ll get mid to low 20s in my pfl, on a run depending on how gentle I am it’ll go as high as 36/37 indicated on the obc.

Have done about 4K miles in it since getting it in March and think my long term average is sitting at 29 at the moment (it’s been back at Audi for the last two weeks, and still there waiting on parts, so can’t double check!).

Had a Golf R before and what I’ve found is naturally the RS3 is a lot worse round town and short trips, but at the top end on a long run there’s not huge amount in it, the R would see 38mpg on a similar run.

Think you need to give more detail in what you mean as suitable as a daily?

My RS is my daily, all city miles, to shops, work & gym. It’s absolutely fine to be used for this. It’s a car at the end of the day.

Just consider what the OP has said with regards to running costs. An S3 will be a LOT cheaper. This may or may not be an issue for you, I don’t know.

If it is and this is your question around daily then I’d swerve the RS. Your looking at 120 miles out of a tank £60-70, brakes/pads 1k, tyres expensive, servicing expensive, my 3rd year 1k.

All of this said I’m happy to keep pouring money at it cos I love the car and it’s an RS, there not cheap but that sound

120 mile out of a full tank of fuel :wtf: that's me never buying an Rs3 i didn't realise they were that bad . I get around 280/300 around town driving from the s3 and around 400 motorway driving .

Obviously depends how everyone drives.
My mk7 golf R so same running gear as S3 used to do 280-300 miles from a tank and long term mpg show 25,8 mpg.
On my second RS3 and both have achieved 270 ish miles from a tank long term mpg showing 25,3 mpg
Both cars will do 350 miles on a run if driven sensibly.
Apart from Audi rip off servicing and front brake costs I don't see much difference in running costs.
Fuel very similar
Road tax £100 a year more
Insurance very similar under £100 a year more.
If you've got your heart set on a RS3 then theres no reason not to have one.

Last edited:
120 mile out of a full tank of fuel :wtf: that's me never buying an Rs3 i didn't realise they were that bad . I get around 280/300 around town driving from the s3 and around 400 motorway driving .
26mpg in mine over 41k miles.

TX.

Obviously depends how everyone drives.
My mk7 golf R so same running gear as S3 used to do 280-300 miles from a tank and long term mpg show 25,8 mpg.
On my second RS3 and both have achieved 270 ish miles from a tank long term mpg showing 25,3 mpg
Both cars will do 350 miles on a run if driven sensibly.
Apart from Audi rip off servicing and front brake costs I do t see much dif6in running costs.
Fuel very similar
Road tax £100 a year more
Insurance very similar under £100 a year more.
If you've got your heart set on a RS3 then theres no reason not to have one.

Best i've had out of the s3 on a long run is 43 mpg

Looks like I sit each end of the scale longest run in the RS was down to Devon, returned 43.5mpg, that was 70 all the way in cruise. No fun whatsoever. Had girls in the car :blahblah1:

But round Leeds stop start in Dynamic, S & Traction off I rarely see anything above 16.

If I attempted it though reckon I could get it into 20mpg, S is the killer for it keeps the gears so low and rarely shifts out of 3rd.

I always got between 260-300 miles out of a tank. Seen 35mpg on a few rare occasions and quite often 30 if careful. But my average was 26mpg.

Not a chance on earth, must be sat at 155mph. If I spend a day with the intention of doing nothing but drive fast on country roads it’s a 200 mile tank at absolute worst.

On average I see between 280 and 350 mile tanks with 50/50 split in type of driving... up to highest of 435 miles on one tank on the motorway with some Central London driving.

Not a chance on earth, must be sat at 155mph. If I spend a day with the intention of doing nothing but drive fast on country roads it’s a 200 mile tank at absolute worst.

On average I see between 280 and 350 mile tanks with 50/50 split in type of driving... up to highest of 435 miles on one tank on the motorway with some Central London driving.

Fuel figures seem to vary a lot i'am guessing its down to driving style

My dashboard has never shown anything over 305 miles of fuel left, even when I’ve just started the car after filling up.

Yep never anything like as bad as 120 a tank. Worst I've had is 200ish and best 330ish.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Marshy and FBF01

It is but if you abuse it within limits of the roads, you won’t see any worse than 270/280 to a tank... can’t be foot to the floor all the time on the roads.

Drive it gently expect 320-350 on average.

For what it is, it’s incredible on fuel.

Here are two MPG figures calculated throughout my time in my S3 and my RS3, when I had my S3 I had a gentle commute which was around 4000 miles of its mileage so I’d expect it to be better.

S3 310PS; 11,800 miles... 25.11MPG

RS3 400PS; 19,400 miles... 24.98MPG.

Think that says all you need to know from the MPG calculations and when I drive the RS I tend to drive it.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin and 45bvtc
My dashboard has never shown anything over 305 miles of fuel left, even when I’ve just started the car after filling up.

Mine normally shows around 345, but I’ve had the same as you. Best I’ve had after a long 36mpg motorway run is 415 show after filled :O

26.1mpg over nearly 20k miles for my car. Its driven a mix of town, 100mile/day commute and hard cross country.

833dafb4140295cfc556643118963cb5.jpg

Reactions: Mr Freeze and AudiNutta