1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toms Audi S3 8V, lots of plans...

tomhamsyo Apr 24, 2018

1. tomhamsyo

tomhamsyo New Member

Hey!

Finally managed to join the forum after lurking in the background and getting error messages thinking I was a bot (promise I'm not!).

I picked up my 64 plate S3 8V a couple of weeks ago after trading my 2011 Porsche Cayman in. The Porsche was great whilst it worked, but an expensive mistake.. hopefully the S3 will be a little more reliable.
    I'm loving the S3 so far, it's a great all rounder. Quick, looks great and (touch wood) reliable. It was originally an ex-demo car so has loads of options including B&O sound system, Pano roof, DSG, Tech pack, optional extra LED headlights etc. Here are some pics taken at Goodwood shortly after picking it up:

29542907_1830802220546000_3536755856627007173_n.jpg

29543181_1830802397212649_5712412280414598624_n.jpg

29572542_1830802230545999_1969752249747237387_n.jpg

Since picking it up I've changed a couple of bits including satin black front and rear badges, satin black S3 badge and yesterday fitted a CSK res delete. The res delete is awesome! Highly recommended to any 7R/S3 owners. I want to go down a fast road set-up for the car, so plans include a VWR R600 intake, Stage 1 map (open to suggestions as to who's best!), B16 coilovers and some lightweight OZ wheels.

Updates to follow...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    q5man, gynads, TYb and 3 others like this.
  2. JonnyS3

JonnyS3 Member

Welcome.
    Only joined recently myself so there’s plenty of helpful and much more knowledgeable people around here than me.

I’ve seen your build on Instagram actually - car - car is looking great.

Audi Bairn and tomhamsyo like this.
  3. wab172uk

wab172uk Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new car. Enjoy

tomhamsyo likes this.
  4. slinemfc

slinemfc Active Member Team Sepang Audi S3

Welcome and good choice of spot for photographing your S3 when you collected it
    Whereabouts are you located? Saw Hampshire so another southern bod

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

tomhamsyo likes this.
  5. tomhamsyo

tomhamsyo New Member

Thanks Jonny! Exactly the reason I joined - always good to see other peoples progress and modifications for inspiration!

Thank you!

Thanks! I'm located in Fareham, Portsmouth - do you guys have many S3 meets locally? I'd love to pop along to one.

Tom

6. Audi Bairn

Audi Bairn Well-Known Member Team Navarra TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 saloon quattro S tronic DSG

Welcome aboard mate!
    Nice car :thumbs up:

tomhamsyo likes this.
  7. gynads

gynads Member Team Ibis Audi S3 Black Edition quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform DSG

Nice looking car! Few questions..
    How do you rate the B&0?
    Did you fit the res delete yourself? It looks fairly straight forward. Does it really sound a lot better? hard to judge on YouTube
    Can you upload pics of the badges please mate

cheers

tomhamsyo likes this.
  8. Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle

Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle Active Member

pretty much the exact match of my car, color, spec, year :)
    Very keen to hear how it compares against your Cayman as i'm thinking of going the other way - how does it compare for general road noise/tyre roar when on the motorway?

9. Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle

Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle Active Member

10. tomhamsyo

tomhamsyo New Member

Thank you! The B&O sound system is unreal, especially with the onboard DVD player. The surround sound is better than I have at home! Highly recommended.

I did fit the res delete myself - it was fairly straight forward. You need to cut the pipe to the standard res out, then fit the delete up with sleeves and clamps each end. I’ve kept my resonator should I ever need to return it back to standard in future!

Here are some pics I took this evening:

31289673_10156178619061718_8124775761098833920_n.jpg

31437407_10156178618816718_971393444826054656_n.jpg

Haha awesome! The Cayman was a great car, but more of a weekend car for someone rather than an every day user. It was insanely fun to drive, it gripped so well in all conditions and could be thrown into corners at pace without any trouble. The ride was definitely a lot firmer, you could feel all of the bumps in the road and road noise was certainly louder than the S3.

My S3 is only 3 years newer but feels like a brand new car in comparison. I suppose the price you pay for a Porsche is partly for the name, but more so the engineering of the car rather than the interior quality.

Tom

gynads likes this.
  11. 4K

4K Well-Known Member Team Glacier Audi S3 DSG

Gorgeous. It's pretty much identical to mine apart from the front LED's.

12. PanamaS3

PanamaS3 Well-Known Member Team Glacier Audi S3 Black Edition S3 Saloon DSG

very nice looking 3 door you got there bud! congrats!...and welcome to the forum!

13. gynads

gynads Member Team Ibis Audi S3 Black Edition quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform DSG

Brill! Love the badges and the black rings! Been thinking about the high gloss Maxton body parts and fitting some black rings, they suit it real well, mines also white.

I saw the three dots and where to cut on one side, but is there a reference point to cut the other side for the standard res?

14. Boydie

Boydie S3 8V DSG VCDS Map User

Nice - more or less like mine - great cars!

15. teamspb

teamspb Member

Car looks lovely! How do you find the res delete? Im hoping to fit ours tomorrow! I hope it doesnt make it drone-y...

Have you bougt the induction kit yet? I was looking at the same kit...but might go for the open air option rather than the enclosed option

Also have you looked at the ECS induction kit...it looks leaps and bounds better quality than most kits I have seen! But it doesnt seem to be used as much here in the UK

16. gynads

Good luck, let me know how you get on. where did you get the pipe from?

17. teamspb

teamspb Member

Managed to get the pipe on today.....great mod! I really do not like the sound of these engines when they have aftermarket exhausts...the way they seem to fart and drone isnt my idea of a nice exhaust note...but thats personal taste...

However, with the center box delete, the car remains so civilized, very very small increase in cruising noise, hardly any difference with 'around town' driving...then when you open the throttle, it comes to life...makes an awesome pop/bang on upshifts too...much more prominent and hard hitting than with the box in.

The car also feels to pull a bit harder and sounds so much stronger as you pull through the revs

Overall, took around 15-20mins to do...very easy mod!

I bought mine on ebay for £50 delivered...its not mandrel bent, but knowing what I do about tuning etc, this would never be an issue up to around 500hp, possibly a bit more!

18. zcspec

zcspec New Member

It's a shame we don't get this beautiful car State side. Enjoy it!

19. MikeParkin

MikeParkin Well-Known Member Team Ibis Audi S3 Manual

Welcome my friend. I'm 3 years in Stage 2 and still love the car. Enjoy it!

20. tomhamsyo

tomhamsyo New Member

Thanks for the comments guys!

A couple of small updates; I bought some semi-dynamic rear indicator modules from @george_seamons - they are amazing! Here's a link to a video of them fully installed:

I also tidied up my hubs as they were a little rusty and showing their age. A quick coat of some Satin Black paint freshened them up, very happy with the outcome:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom

george_seamons and q5man like this.
  21. Boydie

Boydie S3 8V DSG VCDS Map User

Need to do that job myself - mine are brown!

q5man and tomhamsyo like this.
  22. tomhamsyo

tomhamsyo New Member

No real update here, just dusted the camera off and got a couple of pics. Pretty happy with how these came out. Still absolutely loving the car!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom

Scotty75, q5man, Tom.H and 2 others like this.
  23. oli356

oli356 Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 S tronic

Nice location, and light ... and the car of course :D

tomhamsyo and q5man like this.
  24. randy4

randy4 Member

I did mine too probably around the same time as you. When I put the wheels back on I did think maybe I should have painted the calipers too while I was doing that. Did you consider the same?

tomhamsyo likes this.
  25. Chris4410

Chris4410 Active Member Team Glacier Audi S3 saloon Audi A5 Black Edition quattro Audi TT

Will you do mine at the same time:salute:

tomhamsyo likes this.
  26. tomhamsyo

tomhamsyo New Member

Surprisingly my calipers aren't too bad! If I was to do calipers I think I'd do it properly by removing them and getting them powdercoated - I've painted them myself on previous cars (whilst still on the car) and they're so fiddly the outcome is never 100%!

Maybe it's something I'll add to my never-ending mod list :wink:

randy4 likes this.
  27. Scotty75

Scotty75 New Member Team Brilliant Black Audi A3 Sportback S-line owners group Manual

I'm just down the road from you in Waterlooville..... S3 is looking great. Like the touch on the hubs. Did you paint the calipers too?