Today's dyno results

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Well as we had the dyno at our disposal it would have been rude not to get some pre tear down figures.

245bhp and 270ft/lb torque

DSC_1532_zpszko9w73l.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsq88xclxu.jpg

What set up was this?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

K04-020 from an S3, modified to fit the A4.

It got a bit lean at the top end, whats going on there? Somethings become maxed out!

Undecided whether the current K03/K04-023 ******* turbo will be stripped and reconfigured or whether we look at something else entirely.

There was no det but it ran lean at the top and in all honesty we're not sure why. Injector duty cycle is at 80% (I think my bro said) so not excessive. Further investigation is needed but for 190,000 miles I don't think I have cause for complaint.

Last edited:
What set up was this?

Spec is currently;
K03/K04-023 love child
C20 LET injectors
3bar FPR
Golf VR6 MAF housing (new stock sensor)
Evolution RaceWerks TIP
Front mount intercooler
HKS rip off mushroom filter
Custom chip file 22psi

Figures are still pretty good though man give yourself some credit

What's the spool/pull like through the gears?

If its not injector duty, then it can only really be the fuel pump?

There has to be more in that turbo, your boost tails off when it really should be able to hang on to it a bit further up the revs. Did you get any logs of N75 duty cycle? I think if your sticking with the K03 housing, theres no point going bigger than what you have. Get a stronger actuator on it and push the boost up to 1.5bar held and you'll probably match what my much bigger, laggier K300 hybrid is doing.

The bonus being that if the turbo does ever fail, you can simply buy a new standard K04-020 and swap it in.

If you do want more, then K04-063 or a Garret GTX2860R is what i'd be looking at.

We didn't log the N75 but my brother did suggest a more sturdy actuator and fuel pump is on the list anyway.

This car is going to be Trigger's broom lol

afr 13:1 is acceptable imho. Am i reading it wrong? Ok it's less than ideal, but not melty lean yet

Ive paid a lot more for a lot less power thanks to MRC and the crappy map. good work. Any more, i'd get rods tbh

13.1 is quite lean at WOT really want it about 11.9.

Rods are being done and have a set in the kitchen ready to go in. Seemed silly not to do them really

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
12.5 is fine, down in the low12's high 11's is probably costing you power. As mark says, its not mega bad, but the shape of the curve clearly shows somethings run out of capacity.

I'm at 295lbft on stock rods :p Its simply not worth the cost.

Avant-Dyno-Unicorn.png

I'm just not brave enough to push the stock rods at the mileage on them and the steel rods are already here so no huge extra drama to pop them in.

Any actuator suggestions?

Mines on 170k miles. For the cost of fitting rods and the associated rebuild parts i could buy a V8 or a 2.7T, either of which would give a significantly better end result. Thus its getting driven on stock engine. If it blows up, i'll need to go hunting for a V8 :p

My actuator is a cheap chinese 12psi thing, bodged up to fit.

I'd maybe suggest a good olde ford -31?

8psi should give a bit more control than a 12psi one like i've got.

To he honest I just can't be bothered to do an engine swap but acknowledge what you say.

Probably have a -31 from my RS Turbo laying about in the garage so will have a play with that.

Tear down has started and already found a split hose between the N75 and actuator, a number of oil leaks and the turbo is pretty goosed with loads of play in the shaft and the compressor wheel being able to touch the housing. Unsure if I should have the existing unit overhauled or whether I should look at something else altogether.

IMG-20161031-WA0003_zpsvkmc0ic1.jpg

a 4 bar fpr will add more fuel :D
310ftlb on my stock aeb (unkown mileage) same fueling setup as above (other than 4bar fpr) and a kjet fuel pump (its in a 90quattro) with a t28

Well not all bad news, the block has come back with a clean bill of health and requiring no work. Cylinder head needed new exhaust valve guides but the cams again are fine. Just waiting for all the bits to be returned to the workshop and it can all start going back together.

Certainly can't complain at the build quality.

Cheers Sam, 4 bar FPR is sat here in my spares box.

personally, i would keep it on 3 bar and fit larger injectors.

4 bar regulator just stresses the pump more and reduces its flow capability.

Fitting a new beefier pump seeing as it's this far apart :) seemed silly not to really. probably going to stick a set of VXR injectors in as the 550's are a bit OTT really

DSC_0024_zpsykmnyqmh.jpg

Starting to come back together at last, well it's bits are mostly in the same place.

Block is back and despite the miles wasn't in need of a rebore. Head needed some faff as the timing chain tensioner was knackered as were the exhaust valve guides.

IMG-20161201-WA0000_zpsoxlatvvz.jpg

New rods mated to original Mahle pistons which were given a clean bill of health.

DSC_0097_zpst6ldtmfe.jpg

And the new turbo which should be sufficient for 280-300bhp. The builder spec'd and built the unit knowing it was going to be run up by a dyno manufacturer. I don't know the spec myself yet so can't reveal much.

IMG-20161208-WA0004_zps2hgfkobs.jpg

certainly be interesting to see whats inside the turbo...

Bear in mind, a completely standard K04-020, in its original home (the S3/TT), with a decent exhaust manifold and all the bolt ons, will already be up in that 280-300 range.

Problem is the A4's manifold isn't all that clever and I've not found a sensible alternative as all aftermarket manifolds seem to crack. Don't want a £300 manifold as a service item

Yeh but fitting a bigger turbo to try and get round that doesnt really work. You just end up with the lag and response of a 350hp turbo, and massive boost and manifold pressure trying to force the gasses thru, and still only have 280hp. I know this because thats exactly what my car has :p

Hopefully they've not gone too silly with it. Bigger turbine to help flow and maybe a K06 ETT wheel of similar size to the original is about as much as you'd want.

Where did your turbine housing come from?

I would very much like to solve the manifold issue if I can as this seems a not too uncommon gripe.

Will reveal the turbo spec once I know for sure.

Well it's starting to look a lot like an engine again now.

IMG-20161212-WA0002_zpsvwourppf.jpg

Hoping the engine will be back in the bay by early part of next week.

Look good man

Well a solid day of graft with my brother and it looks like a car again and sounds pretty darn nice too.

DSC_0129_zpsh78aj5ya.jpg

DSC_0130_zpsackpsomh.jpg

Managed to get a couple of miles on it but found a very small fuel leak as a result of pulling it all out to put the beefier pump in. Also need to sort a heat shield out for the filter then crack on with running it in.

Reactions: slepy
That filter looks a bit weedy...

far far better just using the standard airbox. Stick a panel filter in if you must. but the stock airbox is good for well over 400hp.

Did you get the specs of the turbo?

Standard airbox won't fit with my MAF and TIP unfortunately as that would have by far been the preferred option. Slightly annoying as I spent ages climbing through the loft and rummaging round the sheds to find the poxy thing.

Brother has all the paperwork, I just need to collect it all. At the minute we're just trying to get it buttoned up. Will get them up asap though

Last edited:
Welcome home, now comes the running in fun. had to order a new PCV valve as the old one was dead. Hats off to Awesome, ordered at 2pm and was at my front door by 11am today.

DSC_0147_zps0ksalzta.jpg

Where abouts are you based Oranoco?