today I fitted this

Vr6gordy, Im keen to see your car in all of its glory. Will you shed any light on if this will happen? ;)

Because we are on an Audi Forum and isnt that what we do?
Plus, you have clearly spent a lot of effort on it, and its good for inspiration etc

Should be off to a few shows this year so might see you at one

To be honest once the engine bay heats up that filter will be just sucking in hot air and you will loose power. I owned a 1.8T B5/B6 for years and this subject as been more than covered off and the end results have proven you loose power.

The only time you would fit an open filter is when you go big turbo and you have no option to fit an open filter for space reasons, the stock box is the best but not the most sporty looking.

The induction pipe is a good upgrade as the OEM one is known to collapses under load, upgrade both my cars with a intake pipe the B6 BEX engine never got a market made one so I had to adapt one to fit.

My conclusion is the intake pipe is where you see the gains but these will be lost once the engine bay heats up (heat shield or no heat shield).

Reactions: ruffrida
You could do but what I also forgot to mention which is also a a key power point is the Ram Air effect which you no longer have. Cars run better with cold air and that includes NA cars so moving the filter say down to the bumper intake area will help a filter but it's still not great. Now if you fitted say a BMC/CDA and had a feed pipe running from the lower bumper then you might see some gains but in its current state forget it.

You could do but what I also forgot to mention which is also a a key power point is the Ram Air effect which you no longer have. Cars run better with cold air and that includes NA cars so moving the filter say down to the bumper intake area will help a filter but it's still not great. Now if you fitted say a BMC/CDA and had a feed pipe running from the lower bumper then you might see some gains but in its current state forget it.

Bmc looks like it's a tight fit and difficult to run a feed from it.

I have just bought a universal filter so far. Is there not anywhere to run it say to a different location?

For me personally I am going hybrid turbo and requires an 80mm maf., so needed a cone filter.

You state hybrid Turbo so I need an idea of what that's going to be as I ran a Hybrid on my S-Line but it was based on a K04-15 which meant everything fitted as it should. If yours wont i would see if there is anyway to feed it down to the bumper and that will only be possible I would think if running a FMIC.

Just took a look and they all look K04 based so the stock air box should still fit with no issues

The a4 hybrids are not on his website. They are a k03 remachined etc. it requires a 80mm tt maf which won't fit into the std air box

The maf is not located in the air box so fitting the maf to the air box is just a case of buying some silicone hoses to allow the maf to fit.

I had one in my car and had to remove it as it as it was not mapped in to the car and cause me issues.

Start a thread and I will move all this in to it.

edit: I'm talking ***** (thinking RS4 here), the maf is in the box but you can mount it out side the box. You will need a silicon induction pipe some metal tubing and some additional silicon piping to mate everything up. I think i might still have my old setup and will take a picture.

Last edited: