To Squeegy or not to Squeegy....

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning,

Just a thought, does anyone use the squeegy you can get (either turtlewax or autoglym)? Or do you prefer a a good chammy instead (autoglym)?

I use a bit of both, the squeegy for the quick removal of water and then the chamois (dipped in hot water) to finish it off. However recently I have noticed little scratch's occuring when using the squeegy, only two of the little blighters but both straight, going down and on a ming blue S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif. After further investigation I noticed two more little buggers, not obvious but there. So I have stopped using the squeegy and concentrated on using the chamois.

It does take a little longer but the effect is still the same. So does anyone else have similar issues with the squeegy? Do you use some other water removing device? Or is Chammois the best you can get? Your ways are appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ta

Squeegy?? Are you talking about the silicone blades?

If you are don#t use them!! They are BAD! My car was covered in tiny scratches after using it. I thought it was because my car is black, but I tried it on my new dark silver car, and it did the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chammy is best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully when I get round to ordering some ScratchX from Meguiars I'll be able to get rid of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
It really took me a while to get rid of the scratches, I was very pi55ed off at the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif, pretty much back to normal now, after a polish and wax every two weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Berkshire Flipper said:
Have just ordered my swissol stuff, paint rubber set, glass cleaner, towels etc and some cleaner fluid that claims to remove light scratches and swirl marks amongst other things. Will be sure to keep you informed on how they perform.
Another point about scratches (cut and pasted from swissol):

Swissol wash towels
Have two clean Swissol cloths on hand for your car washing day. Please avoid using a washing sponge whenever possible, since no matter how carefully you rinse out your sponge, a few dirt particles (fine sand grains etc.) always remain trapped in the pores and can cause fine scratches on your paint finish.
..........so i ordered some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

anyway, for those of you who are interested, here's the link

Swissol

[/ QUOTE ]

Swissol is fantastic stuff, you wont be disappointed. I use the Onyx wax on my baby S3... Not sure about their other products. They are extremely expensive but I guess its worth it for the money you spent on your Audi's!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regarding chamois, go a synthetic one.. the natural ones are ****** and don't suck up the water half as good. That and the fact they turn into ROCKS! when your not using them...

well my swizol wash and dry towels arrived the other day and, following a plentiful bug harvest, I decided to get the hose out this evening.
Have got to say the wash towels are pretty effective at removing bugs and they seem to be easier on the paint as the web site claimed. After drying the car with towels (you need atleast 2) there were no traces of any scratches or swirls. Highly recommended.
I also got a few other bits - paint rubber, cleaner, and onxy wax. Hope to give them a go this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Cool, let us know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

right - as i reported before - the swissol wash towels and drying towels work very well. not a hint of any swirls or scratches but you'll certainly need atleast 2 towels to dry the car.

the paint rubber is amazing - I was a bit sceptical to start with, just when you think you've got the car clean you take leave of your senses and rub a lump of clay over it. It leaves the paint feeling glassy - so smoothe. so easy to use too.

then a quick rub down with the pre wax oil and on with the wax (swissol onyx wax in this case). Moderately pricey but well worth it. I follwed the advice and applied it with my hands (smells great but takes a while to get it off you). The only problem was it took a bit of effort getting it all off but i think i may have used a touch too much. The result is amazing though and well worth the time and effort.
Sadly no pictures this time as soon after cleaning it i re decorated it with bugs but will try to post some soon. Would be interested to see how Swissol compares to maguiars

The bottom line - the towels dont scratch!