To Spray Or Not To Spray, Humm...

Point_Audi

Vorsprung durch Technik
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know this is quite a common thing to do on the Audi's I did so on my last A4. But when I got this car I was like I am not spraying anything bla bla! :noway:

But after seeing a few sprayed it put the notion back in my head, so I am going to Plasti-Dip the chrome on the front, done a quick photoshop and I think it looks nice, what do you think?

Before

After

Last edited:
epic photoshopping skills ;) hehe each to their own really. But I like it, I think the chrome can be a bit OTT on the audis, especially on the lighter colour cars. So yea black surround on the grille sounds good :) maybe looking at doing the fog surrounds too :) window surrounds are optional then really as a little chrome is good ;)

Thanks, plenty of practice photo-shopping before completing mods!lol .. Yea I had thought about the fog grill surrounds and tbh I still haven't decided I quite like them to be honest, but least with the Plasti-Dip if I dislike it I can remove so not too much hassle!:) .. The window surrounds I might leave, as you said a little chrome is good, give it that bit of bling!lol

ay exactly :D worst comes to worst you waste a bit of money on plastic dip that gets peeled off and binned and back to how it started. nothing to lose :D

now I'm thinking might need to make some stencils and make some funkay patterns/decals on the car. there's an A5 about I;ve seen which is silver and has a darker grey stripe running above the door sills with the OOOO rings at one end and Quattro written at the other, looks pretty cool :D maybe a bit hard to plastic dip that.... maybe just an accenting stripe or something ;)

Reactions: Point_Audi
I plasti dipped mine but only to see if I liked the look which I do so I am getting it vinyl wrapped Matt black. I don't like the plasti dip it looks a bit cheap as can tell its plasti dipped, I would recommend having a go with the plasti dip to and run around with it for a couple weeks then get it wrapped. I almost guarantee you will prefer the chrome done in black though... :)

Don't use plasti-dip on the Grille. I did and it didn't last long even after loads of prep beforehand. Just buy a black RS4 Grille!:)

Apologies for them been sideways I don't know how to change it on my phone lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Point_Audi and DrSasso
I agree plasti dip isn't all it's cracked up to be mine is starting to show chrome but it's staying on until it gets wrapped, I personally wouldn't put an rs4 grill on my car just because I don't think they look rite not been an rs4 but that's my opinion :)

Plasti dipped my full grill, rings aswell, last year, x3 coats. Looks as good now as it did when I did it, front fog surrounds next when the "Scottish" weather gets better. Also thinking of doing chrome door/window trim, as others have said, if you don't like it you can always peel it back off. Simples!!!

I've got a grille and some plati dip that I'm not not using if interested ?

Thanks for the comments guys, I have used the Plasti-Dip before now and I can't say I have had much trouble with it! The first time I kinda was impatient so it cracked on me, but I simply started again and it lasted me for a good while! .. I do like the RS4 grills, but I think I agree with SI-W85 on that one being an RS4 grill! ..JG51 AUD, it was mentioned to me about the Fog Light Surrounds but I might leave them for now, I quite like them! But with Plasti-Dip you can go back in time!:icon_thumright: I am tempted to get some ordered for this weekends project, it does look nice in your photo SI-W85 and the PhotoShop has me convinced!lol

Its going to be done! :thumbsup:

The inside of the grill was the hardest to do, the corners especially I had to do mine twice as I got a bit close with the masking the first time so the plasti dip bonded to the tape :( so 1 tip is don't try to go too close to the chrome on the inside of the grill, the outer masking is a doddle though... Hope it comes out rite for you first time and do it inside with some heat on also maybe worth putting the can in some hot water first, spend a good while prepping and you should be fine :)

I think you should vinyl wrap all the silver bits and turn it into a Black Edition :) but then I would ....

Reactions: RS5 JON
I have to say, that the RS4 type grilles (without the RS4 badges!) look great on non RS4 models and don't make the car look like something it's not. They are still relatively subtle and still look OEM.

I like the RS4 front bumper, if I could get hold of one of them I would definitely change change.

I think you should vinyl wrap all the silver bits and turn it into a Black Edition :) but then I would ....

+1 to this.
I plastidipped my grille surround, and not happy.
Will be doing vinyl.
Tougher, longer lasting, and easier to clean

+1 to this.
I plastidipped my grille surround, and not happy.
Will be doing vinyl.
Tougher, longer lasting, and easier to clean

I think I might just hold off on the Plastidip, I would be very fussy with finishes as am sure you all are so am gonna order some vinyl and give this ago. I have done Carbon Wrapping before so hopefully I can get the chrome surround sorted ok! :) .. Might even carbon fibre it!lol ..

I think I might just hold off on the Plastidip, I would be very fussy with finishes as am sure you all are so am gonna order some vinyl and give this ago. I have done Carbon Wrapping before so hopefully I can get the chrome surround sorted ok! :) .. Might even carbon fibre it!lol ..

Did a CF wrap on my B7 grille surround.
Looked okay, but much prefer gloss black these days.
Maybe I've just grown up a little, but CF has to be the real deal.

Do you have any pictures of how it came out by any chance just to see how it looked? .. Have Black vinyl ordered! :thumbsup:

Gloss black seems to look good with any colour, are the door pillars black on your car ? if not do them gloss vinyl too :)

Gloss black seems to look good with any colour, are the door pillars black on your car ? if not do them gloss vinyl too :)

Yea I agree Anthony black looks good against any colour! :) .. By door pillars are black indeed so that's one less thing to cover!:) ..