To Ski or to Snowboard?

Snowboarding all day every day!!!

snowboarding definately

i skied first but i was a wee skater kid when i was younger so i quickly turned over lol

you cannot beat the feeling of fresh powder on an untouched section of off piste! its undescribable i think!

quick pic of me in action about 5 years ago and my classic burton floater in les deux alpes :scared2:

Snowboard, I did a whole 4 hours worth of lessons, 5 years a go!!!
Anyone want a pair of size 14 Burton step ins/pay for me to use them?!

(It is Christmas!)

i had the same mate - 4 hours lessons and a bruised bum later and i havent looked back

i just wished it snowed all year! :(

Snowboarding, i fecking hate ski'ers.

Why is that the if you do one you hate the people that do the other. I just think ski'ers are so up there own **** its not true. Nearly got in a few tussels with them.

Those impact shorts are good, bought some for my ex, get the impression though, if you've already got a fat ***, it only makes it ten times worse!!!

Pose with pain or go for comfort over looks

If you're a boarder im guessin to pose will win!!!

Beerzo said:
Snowboarding, i fecking hate ski'ers.

Why is that the if you do one you hate the people that do the other. I just think ski'ers are so up there own **** its not true. Nearly got in a few tussels with them.

Takes one to know one. Happy doing both, two planks are more versitle, one plank's better for powder.

Skiing all day long, watch me whistle past you boarders on the black run, also boarding off-piste is a bit dodgy....

BTW i'm going in 2nd week of feb, not sure where yet, gonna book last minute to get some deals.

A4Quattro said:
also boarding off-piste is a bit dodgy....

Only if your stupid!!
Do your home work first and check out your route at the bottom and you will be fine

Going to do a instructed heli drop this year..every year we want to do it but never do..this will be the year for it

Skiing as its more flexible: you can't go uphill on a board.

You also don't get people cutting you up.

And you don't get lumped with all the lame people into boarding (you know the type - matching Burton checky clothes, oakleys, talking about how 'rad' the powder is. Except they have just fallen over on a blue run).

icenutter said:
Skiing as its more flexible: you can't go uphill on a board.

You also don't get people cutting you up.

And you don't get lumped with all the lame people into boarding (you know the type - matching Burton checky clothes, oakleys, talking about how 'rad' the powder is. Except they have just fallen over on a blue run).

Why do you want to go up hill?? Boarding and skiing is a downhill sport

Skiers are the worse for cutting people up

No you get the skiers wearing there one piece strippy ski suits thinking they look cool as they wear a stupid hat!!

Why did they invent the carver, so skiers can go off piste??
Why do skiers dress like boards now??

Check out extreme channel and watch the freestyle skiers they look like boards

Speak for yourself falling on a blue run.

Skiers and boarders will never see eye to eye....!

'Skiers are the worse for cutting people up'

Both cut up each other, but when you are in the majority...

'No you get the skiers wearing there one piece strippy ski suits thinking they look cool as they wear a stupid hat!!'

I reckon without the French the whole 1-piece suit market would fall apart ;)

'Skiers and boarders will never see eye to eye....!'

Just as BMW and Audi drivers don't :gun2:

Chill! Its just a bit of fun :friends:

nothing funnier than seeing a 1980's skier in their pink or polkadot one piece hahahahaha

ive had plenty of run in's with skier's - if someone annoys me i go after them lol when they stop hit them with a spray of snow off the back foot!! :rockwoot:

If they knew what they were doing they'd never catch you.

Both are fun, but I prefer skiing as you can go much faster on the skis. I'm sure my 0-60 on skis is faster than my old car...

You can also do much of what you can do on a snowboard on skis, but faster.

Mike

These days, he actually partakes in a bit of snowboarding mike!

(good name by the way)

"southern mike"

I do both, but would have to say I prefer skiing.

I agree both sides have their faults - such the boarder trick of stopping just over the brow of a hill sat in the middle of a piste so you can't see them until you are on top of them; or skiers who don't look uphill before starting off.

Boarding is definitely easier than skiing.

you think?

i found both easy to get hold of but definately though boarding was harder than skiing

when we head off we have a few first timers on the board - they can sort of ski already but it will be interesting how they get on!

Boarding everytime.
Damn site more relaxed and easier on the legs.
The boots are really comfy
You don't need stupid sticks to get around
You'll never break your leg boarding
The whole culture is far cooler & less up it's own ****
No one laughs if you crash & burn on a board.
Who the hell wants to get to the bottom of the hill in a straight line?

give me a liquid mountain any day..... surfings were its at guys...
i ride a 9'2" bear long board.... been doing it for nearly 20 years and still love it passionaitly..... however, i dont tend to do the sleeping in the back of my van and all night partying kind of weekends any more.... its more like stolen days or odd weekends when i can, which isnt half as often as id like.

AndyMac said:
Boarding everytime.
Damn site more relaxed and easier on the legs.
The boots are really comfy
You don't need stupid sticks to get around
You'll never break your leg boarding
The whole culture is far cooler & less up it's own ****
No one laughs if you crash & burn on a board.
Who the hell wants to get to the bottom of the hill in a straight line?

how is boarding easier on the legs?? lol your thighs are wrecked!

of course you can break your leg - dont be silly

of course they laugh at you - you just dont see them doing it

My mate's broken both his legs separately snow bording.

He's on crutches at the moment.

Don't do it myself though....

I ski and my son does both. He starting boarding first but had conveted over to skiing.

He has raced for the last two years and theres nothing better than carving a black top to bottom on a true slalom ski.

On the other hand when you see a real snowboarder true carving it does look impressive.

The secret is to not comprimise. When I feel like fast carving then on go my Atomic SL 11's. For off piste my 186 Line Eric Pollards come out. They,re like two small snowboards on your feet.

I remember a ski instructor in Canada telling me that it takles 3 week to become a snowboard instructor and three years to become a ski instructor. He may have been slightly biased, but the snowboard instructors does seem a lot younger.

I teach on dry slope as well and have been doeing so for the last 2 years. I run a kids club on a sunday morning coaching kids past the parallel into into true carving skiing.

At the end of the day there plenty of room on the mountain for us all.

Chill!!

Cant wait to get to Chatel at the end of Jan, 110 of us going.

Nearly went to Meribel for this coming week with a group of aboput 30 of us, but too busy at work. Glad I didnt as I never really tried grass skiing

Only about 7 weeks to go.

Cheers

Simon

If it's wrecking your thighs you're not doing it right or you're incredibly unfit. I'm pretty unfit and I don't get any thigh burn.
OK Mr pedantic, you're far less likely to break your leg, it's very rare but of course not impossible if you board like a kamikazi idiot. Breaking your wrist is far more likely if you don't wear wrist guards.
The laughing thing? I mean't even the best boarders crash & burn, it's part of the sport, no one really laughs "at you" more "with you" as it happens so frequently.
Nobody arguing that it's far cooller then? Thought not.

Never having done either i think i'd rather have a go at snowboarding cos it looks like you can pick up quite a few more tricks.

I used to be a skater for some yaers when i was a kid so it does appeal but i've just never got off my **** and gone on a proper winter sports holliday.

Might have to be a new years resolution!!!

i only get thigh burn when on flat piste's or balancing on one edge for a long period of time

anyone would i think

maybe i might be doing it wrong but im far from unfit lol - play rugby for a semi-pro club and swim for my town

I use to ski for 6 years before i started snowboarding. I decided to change after a few falls when i was going really fast and my skis decided they wanted to go in different directions, and strangley all i broke was my thumb!
then i bought my own snowboarding gear and never looked back.
I get really bad thigh burn especially on flat pistes but i am unfit so i just put it down to that, So i just stretch as much as possible. I also had a problem with my binding on my right foot cutting of the ****** supply and causing unbearable cramp. But i have some cap straps to try so hopefully they should help

your bindings are prob too tight on you or your bindings are too small or your boots are the wrong size

anyone will get the burn it you are on a flat piste - you are standing in an unnatural postion putting strain on your thighs so its def going to happen

if your unfit it will happen quicker than a fit person lol

im off in 6 days - i cannot wait!!! got most of my stuff packed already!

its handy though if you have skiing buddies and you can cling on to a pole ;)