to service or not to.........

audigeezA4

Reaction score
hi peeps
just had the service message come up on the display, have read up on how to reset so hope it works, but bit surprised as i am sure only recently it stated 700 miles or so to go, anyway, it had a regular oil change in dec 10 and has only done approx 2500 miles since. only thing that concerns me a little is that i do minimal mileage now(about couple of miles a day) to work and back and im sure that is not doing the engine etc too much good. So the question is, should i get an oil change done, especially with the point above, or should i just leave until the routine service in dec this year, and if i do get it done then apart from air/pollen filter what else would be worth changing at 65K?
cheers.

to be honest if you are doing small milage complete once a year, I have done 20000 miles this year and completed two oil changes my self and plan to give to Audi to have a good going over as their prices seem not so bad.
But at the end of the day its up to you

Mate an oil change is really easy to do yourself and while your at it for the cost you might as well do the oil filter.

Oil/filter, Pollen/air filters and a set of spark plugs from Audi alll in are approx £120 however knowing someone who works for a car spares company non oem parts all in for about £80ish depends what you want. Oh dont forget the sump plug!

With regards to frequency of service as a minimum I'd stick with 10k or every year which ever one comes up first!

to be honest if you are doing small milage complete once a year, I have done 20000 miles this year and completed two oil changes my self and plan to give to Audi to have a good going over as their prices seem not so bad.
But at the end of the day its up to you

yeah know what u mean, i just thought short distances aint really too good for a diesel engine with not even getting up to full temperature etc so probably best to do a change of oil/filter as a minimum i guess.

Mate an oil change is really easy to do yourself and while your at it for the cost you might as well do the oil filter.

Oil/filter, Pollen/air filters and a set of spark plugs from Audi alll in are approx £120 however knowing someone who works for a car spares company non oem parts all in for about £80ish depends what you want. Oh dont forget the sump plug!

With regards to frequency of service as a minimum I'd stick with 10k or every year which ever one comes up first!

yeah mate- i would defo change the oil filter as a given, only thing is whether to go to a local garage or audi, i think audi quoted £260 approx which is a bit steep for a basic service me thinks, its that old question of dealer stamps in the book, unfortunately diy/practical stuff dont sit easy with me, but on the other hand 2 delaer oil services a year, new front tyres and other adhoc repairs are making ownership costs too costly for comfort. Of course it would be a different story if your a handy man but man, i aint handy...:cool:

if you you dont fancy DIY I would not bother paying a lot for a service every year if the mileage is low.Modern engines and oils can cope and I am sure they could build an engine that would be sealed for life if they wanted to but it would put a lot of garages out of business

if you you dont fancy DIY I would not bother paying a lot for a service every year if the mileage is low.Modern engines and oils can cope and I am sure they could build an engine that would be sealed for life if they wanted to but it would put a lot of garages out of business

fair point, so i take it most owners either do a self service or once a year then depending on age/mileage etc i'm used to a yearly service with my previous cars too so i suppose the only thing thats gonna hurt doing it every 6 months is my pocket.

Whilest I agree that DIY is the best way, with help of here it really is not that hard the most awkward part is getting the scuttle panel off under the car all the rest is easy.

My advice is get the stuff yourself and do a search on the internet it really is not that hard......

Where you from audigeez?...if you were close Id offer to show you how to do it?!

Whilest I agree that DIY is the best way, with help of here it really is not that hard the most awkward part is getting the scuttle panel off under the car all the rest is easy.

My advice is get the stuff yourself and do a search on the internet it really is not that hard......

Where you from audigeez?...if you were close Id offer to show you how to do it?!

lancashire,thanks for the offer anyway pal, i will get it sorted out one way or the other soon.

cheers.

I've got myself one of these
310rhtltPEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wasn't cheap but beats having to jack the car up and remove the scuttle panel and I change my oil every 3-4k
Will also have paid for its self after the saving of not having to buy 450 odd crush washers!

Come to thinking of it my oil filter is also on the top of the engine. not sure where yours is so you might still have to get underneath anyway

Have a look about, there are additives you can buy to add to the oil which can help the type of usage your doing.

I've got myself one of these
310rhtltPEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wasn't cheap but beats having to jack the car up and remove the scuttle panel and I change my oil every 3-4k
Will also have paid for its self after the saving of not having to buy 450 odd crush washers!

Come to thinking of it my oil filter is also on the top of the engine. not sure where yours is so you might still have to get underneath anyway

that looks really interesting mate, anybody else used this? how long does it take and whats it like to use, and i mean for a complete novice, also, does it take all the oil out without the leaving the sludge at the bottom?
i assume my diesel lump will also have the oil filter at the top, or at least i think i read that somewhere.....

that looks really interesting mate, anybody else used this? how long does it take and whats it like to use, and i mean for a complete novice, also, does it take all the oil out without the leaving the sludge at the bottom?
i assume my diesel lump will also have the oil filter at the top, or at least i think i read that somewhere.....

Its very straight forward to use, just remove the dipstick and insert the tube down there, give it a few pumps and the oil starts flowing. The S4 uses almost 10 litres of oil so takes a while to get it all out. It does get it all out tho and if you run the engine so the oil is warm before changing it any sludge should be held in suspension I should think. Also wouldn't most sludge be in the oil filter? one would hope anyway

Look under the top engine cover to see if there's an oil filter up there.

Depending on how much oil your engine takes you can get smaller oil extractors that are a lot cheaper.

Its very straight forward to use, just remove the dipstick and insert the tube down there, give it a few pumps and the oil starts flowing. The S4 uses almost 10 litres of oil so takes a while to get it all out. It does get it all out tho and if you run the engine so the oil is warm before changing it any sludge should be held in suspension I should think. Also wouldn't most sludge be in the oil filter? one would hope anyway

Look under the top engine cover to see if there's an oil filter up there.

Depending on how much oil your engine takes you can get smaller oil extractors that are a lot cheaper.

will have a look into this- cheers for the info mate.

For the price of an oil filter and sump plug it really is easy to do it from underneath and yeah ideally you want to remove the oil filter from the top of the engine (more room if you move your coolant tank out of the way) and you will need to put a tray under the engine as it will leak down onto the floor.

Only thing with that tool is it wont get all the oil out of the filter!

I don't know how your oil filter is mounted, but mine is upside down the oil would run out anyway.

Yea why do they do that, design engines with oil filters that cover everything in oil when you change them???????

You think? I find the majority of the oil had drained away before I lift the filter out.

You think? I find the majority of the oil had drained away before I lift the filter out.

so i take it you change the oil yourself then mate?
ok, so most you guys are pretty much saying do it yourself as it aint that hard, slight issue for me is that my drive isnt flat which surely would be more awkward to get under the car(or i'm just looking for excuses) which may rule diy out......so, i reckon its either main/local dealer or buy this or similar contraption.....mmmm well at least i have one more option than i did at the start.....

thanks chaps.

I would say put it on a piece of flat ground, (my gramps has a pair of wooden ramps so I drop onto those) that was only so I have enough room to get the lower scuttle panel off and then access to the oil sump plug is easy....

Undo the sump plug and once you can unscrew with your hand do it slowley and make sure you have your drip tray or what ever your going to use underneath it and slowley take the plug out....dont make the mistake I did and dropped it into the drip tray and didnt position the tray in the correct location I ended up with oil on the drive (remember to position the drip tray to the left of the drain point at the oil will pour out a bit like when pouring water from a watering can if your with me), once its empty put the new plug back in and tighten.

Once this stops position the drip tray under the oil filter and you'll need the old filter removal tool to undo the filter then undo it by hand slowley as you dont want to drop this....ok some oil will spill out but it should fall into the drip tray....(note you will have more room if you move your coolant tank out of the way this is held in with two screws undo then wiggle it out of the fixings and lift it out of your way).

When putting the new filter on put a bit of oil on the rubber seal and tighten it hand tight then use the tool to tighten it but not to much.

Then fill with the required amount of oil, from memory mine is a 1.8t and it was something like 3.7ltrs, check this as you fill as it is a lot easier to add more than to take it out as I found out when I overfilled mine.....start her up and let it flow through the filter and then make a final check on your levels and thats it.

If you need any more help shout fella!

Last edited:
so i take it you change the oil yourself then mate?

I don't generally but I have done. Thats more to time constraints and laziness than any difficulty! I've got a set of drive on ramps too which make it a lot easier.

I have always done my own changes and thats going back to early Beetles but its messy and can be tricky especially with filter placings on some modern engines.Just helped with an Octavia Vrs which took two of us to get the filter down and out without dropping it one to turn and one to hold it from underneathThats why I dont leave it to garages who will always be time constrained and inclined to cut corners .How many would know how to check they have changed the filter?Just bought a Bora for the wife and the filter seems to be inside a plastic holder but accessible I hope!

I would say put it on a piece of flat ground, (my gramps has a pair of wooden ramps so I drop onto those) that was only so I have enough room to get the lower scuttle panel off and then access to the oil sump plug is easy....

Undo the sump plug and once you can unscrew with your hand do it slowley and make sure you have your drip tray or what ever your going to use underneath it and slowley take the plug out....dont make the mistake I did and dropped it into the drip tray and didnt position the tray in the correct location I ended up with oil on the drive (remember to position the drip tray to the left of the drain point at the oil will pour out a bit like when pouring water from a watering can if your with me), once its empty put the new plug back in and tighten.

Once this stops position the drip tray under the oil filter and you'll need the old filter removal tool to undo the filter then undo it by hand slowley as you dont want to drop this....ok some oil will spill out but it should fall into the drip tray....(note you will have more room if you move your coolant tank out of the way this is held in with two screws undo then wiggle it out of the fixings and lift it out of your way).

When putting the new filter on put a bit of oil on the rubber seal and tighten it hand tight then use the tool to tighten it but not to much.

Then fill with the required amount of oil, from memory mine is a 1.8t and it was something like 3.7ltrs, check this as you fill as it is a lot easier to add more than to take it out as I found out when I overfilled mine.....start her up and let it flow through the filter and then make a final check on your levels and thats it.

If you need any more help shout fella!

You make it sound easy mate, thanks for the instructions- so its buy filter/oil/ sump plug all from dealer i presume, then all i need is to find a family/friend with a flat drive, buy some ramps, drive onto them, and get stuck in.... Then said bloke rubs chin,scratches head and thinks, i shoulda just gone to a garage..... Lol
Thanks for the encouragement though!

I've always wondered and perhaps a dumb question, What do you do with the old oil?

I put it in an old milk container and pour it down the drain.

* not really, I take it to the local tip/household recycling centre.

Thats because it is easy mate once you have done it you will wonder what all the fuss it and if you can do that then a full service is simple as the filters and spark plugs are all accessable and is a case of undo and replace walla save yourself £££ over dealer prices.

You can save yourself even more money if you are not bothered about OEM parts, for example at Audi all the parts for a major serivce will set you back £118 from an independant you might get them £20/£30 cheaper. Me my mum works for a car spares company and I get the lot all in for £68 ok not OEM but still an oil filter is an oil filter and the same for a air/pollen filter they just dont have the Audi stamp on them!!

Mattrs as for the old oil pour it back into an empty bottle and at the local tip as Quattrojames said there should be a place for you to empty it into walla....

Another point dont try to drain when the oil is hot as some advise .Its safer to let it cool down and drain as long as possible to get the sludge out which a garage would never do.Its enlightening to see whats there if you switch the drain tray after the oil slows to a trickle and come back later to see what and how much has dripped out.I am not convinced that this can be sucked out of the dipstick holder

Thats because it is easy mate once you have done it you will wonder what all the fuss it and if you can do that then a full service is simple as the filters and spark plugs are all accessable and is a case of undo and replace walla save yourself £££ over dealer prices.

You can save yourself even more money if you are not bothered about OEM parts, for example at Audi all the parts for a major serivce will set you back £118 from an independant you might get them £20/£30 cheaper. Me my mum works for a car spares company and I get the lot all in for £68 ok not OEM but still an oil filter is an oil filter and the same for a air/pollen filter they just dont have the Audi stamp on them!!

Mattrs as for the old oil pour it back into an empty bottle and at the local tip as Quattrojames said there should be a place for you to empty it into walla....[/QUOTE

mate,i agree with you 100%, i just dont think i have 100% ability....lol will still give it a go though!!
cheers pal.

Mike B
Another point dont try to drain when the oil is hot as some advise .Its safer to let it cool down and drain as long as possible to get the sludge out which a garage would never do.Its enlightening to see whats there if you switch the drain tray after the oil slows to a trickle and come back later to see what and how much has dripped out.I am not convinced that this can be sucked out of the dipstick holder​
thats a great point mate, i would like to see whats in the collection tray(apart from oil) so will definately do this.
cheers.

Another point dont try to drain when the oil is hot as some advise .Its safer to let it cool down and drain as long as possible to get the sludge out which a garage would never do.Its enlightening to see whats there if you switch the drain tray after the oil slows to a trickle and come back later to see what and how much has dripped out.I am not convinced that this can be sucked out of the dipstick holder

I emptied mine and let it drip into the tray but nothing other than small drips of oil came out I wouldnt worry about this otherwise you'll be there for ages waiting for the small drips to stop just leave it for a small while then whip the new drain plug in and dont worry about if you do or do not see sludge as I never saw any in mine!

As for ability its really not hard you'll do it just follow my instructions and get on with it and then once you have done it you will wonder why you kept putting it off and underestimating your ability!

I emptied mine and let it drip into the tray but nothing other than small drips of oil came out I wouldnt worry about this otherwise you'll be there for ages waiting for the small drips to stop just leave it for a small while then whip the new drain plug in and dont worry about if you do or do not see sludge as I never saw any in mine!

As for ability its really not hard you'll do it just follow my instructions and get on with it and then once you have done it you will wonder why you kept putting it off and underestimating your ability!
Leave it a bit longer overnight if you can.I have always found a good amount of really black stuff especially if like me you dont want to play with hot oil .It naturally takes time to drip but thats the stuff you dont want to leave in there