To everyone with 19 inch rims and sports suspension

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
As you’d know I upgraded my alloys from 18 to 19 inch on Friday and I’m just wanting to ask you guys what you think of the ride on the 19” wheels as at this moment I’m thinking about sticking the originals on and selling the new ones on ( if anyone wants to make a offer pm me )

Basically what do you make of the tyre noise inside the cabin ?? Mine seems quite loud. Pirelli p zero rated at 71db, this could just be the tyres but I really don’t wanna buy another set after spending close to 700 on them

Road feedback ?? I seem to get some vibration through the pedals, floor and a little through the wheel. I’m hoping this is just where balancing being a tiny bit off and I’m going to get them done on a road force machine on Friday.

Really I’m just after your opinions on what you feel etc to know weather it’s normal or something not quite right. Then I think that’ll make my mind up as I’m not going to keep chucking cash into it getting them rebalanced etc from below par garages

Thanks

I have 19” but have never anything else on the Audi. I don’t particularly notice that it is noisy or overly harsh ... but then compared to the wife’s RS Focus the ride is luxurious.

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
I have 19” but have never anything else on the Audi. I don’t particularly notice that it is noisy or overly harsh ... but then compared to the wife’s RS Focus the ride is luxurious.

I have to say it isn’t really harsh. Maybe a small fraction more over certain things but I don’t feel bumps any more then I did. It’s just the small vibration through everything I feel. Even on brand new tarmac. And the road noise is quite bad but if I can sort the vibrations. I could also sort the tyre noise by adding some dynamat in the wheel wells or something. As it’s mostly from the rear I notice it

I’m in a s-Line with 19s and I have to say the ride comfort surprised me. Before getting it I had read some reviews and started to worry but I needn’t have . I think the ride is superb.

I’m in a s-Line with 19s and I have to say the ride comfort surprised me. Before getting it I had read some reviews and started to worry but I needn’t have . I think the ride is superb.

Yeah as I say the rise isn’t really the problem it is as comfy as 18. It’s the vibration and tyre noise. Do you get any vibration through the accelerator when say at 70?? I’m sure I get a tiny amount through the wheel also but will keep an eye on this to see if it’s just road surface Etc but the wheel did seem to be vibrating a little but enough to annoy me.

Will update on the vibe on Friday after I’ve had them balanced on a road force machine

Yeah as I say the rise isn’t really the problem it is as comfy as 18. It’s the vibration and tyre noise. Do you get any vibration through the accelerator when say at 70?? I’m sure I get a tiny amount through the wheel also but will keep an eye on this to see if it’s just road surface Etc but the wheel did seem to be vibrating a little but enough to annoy me.

Will update on the vibe on Friday after I’ve had them balanced on a road force machine
I’ll be honest it’s not something I’ve noticed and I’m a stickler for that sort of thing . .. hope you can get it sorted

Might sound mad but have you checked your wheels are done up correctly. Some tyre companies do say check them after so many miles just incase.

Tyre noise is def more pronounced but you do get used to it, I think it’s more intrusive because there is so little wind noise in our cars.
That said it doesn’t bother me, it’s a trade off for sharper steering. Def not noticed any vibration or harsh transmission through the steering wheel or pedals, you could try dropping the pressure by 5psi and see how it feels - what do you have them set to now?

Just a thought, but if they are after market alloys, is the spigot diameter correct b/c that would cause some weird vibes if a wheel wasn’t concentric to the hub...

What tyre pressure are you running at? Ive found 38 front 35 rear more comfortable have even found 36f 33r OK. I've the same set up and drove a number of A4's before buying mine and the ones with Hankook tyres were the quieter ones I then switched to goodyear eagle 3 and they were also quiet. Currently running Fulda sport control 2 a little louder than goodyear.

Tyre noise is def more pronounced but you do get used to it, I think it’s more intrusive because there is so little wind noise in our cars.
That said it doesn’t bother me, it’s a trade off for sharper steering. Def not noticed any vibration or harsh transmission through the steering wheel or pedals, you could try dropping the pressure by 5psi and see how it feels - what do you have them set to now?

Just a thought, but if they are after market alloys, is the spigot diameter correct b/c that would cause some weird vibes if a wheel wasn’t concentric to the hub...

Where do I check the diameter they are 8.5j same as oem 19 the et is 45 instead of 40. Is it the 19h2 I should be looking for for the spigot diameter ??

What tyre pressure are you running at? Ive found 38 front 35 rear more comfortable have even found 36f 33r OK. I've the same set up and drove a number of A4's before buying mine and the ones with Hankook tyres were the quieter ones I then switched to goodyear eagle 3 and they were also quiet. Currently running Fulda sport control 2 a little louder than goodyear.

35/32 as I’m by my self most days for work. Carrying no weight.

Always expect less comfort. The 17’ as standard on the sport is more comfortable. I’ve driven both. The turn in and response is better. I have the 190ps 2.0 tdi and the traction is great with my 19’s and they look better. Uses more fuel. I take the hit on comfort but the b9 has improved the ride on the sports suspension over the b8. Horses for courses and I find the ride on my 19’s just fine. Some rough roads can be noisy but that’s the roads not 5he rims and tyres. A new motorway was built near me and it’s pretty much silent. We just have sh1ty roads.

Reactions: Tripper
Always expect less comfort. The 17’ as standard on the sport is more comfortable. I’ve driven both. The turn in and response is better. I have the 190ps 2.0 tdi and the traction is great with my 19’s and they look better. Uses more fuel. I take the hit on comfort but the b9 has improved the ride on the sports suspension over the b8. Horses for courses and I find the ride on my 19’s just fine. Some rough roads can be noisy but that’s the roads not 5he rims and tyres. A new motorway was built near me and it’s pretty much silent. We just have sh1ty roads.

Yeah comfort isn’t the problem. Weirdly there wasn’t much vibration on the way in but then again I didn’t get past 55 because of traffic

Noise I’ll deal with as I’m not spending more on quieter tyres when I’ve just spent nearly 700 on the p zero ones.

Yeah comfort isn’t the problem. Weirdly there wasn’t much vibration on the way in but then again I didn’t get past 55 because of traffic

Noise I’ll deal with as I’m not spending more on quieter tyres when I’ve just spent nearly 700 on the p zero ones.

I vaguely remember you saying you replaced some of your damaged tyres. Do you have matching brands/models across the same axel. Different tread pattern. As a cheap remedy try rebalancing the tyres.

I vaguely remember you saying you replaced some of your damaged tyres. Do you have matching brands/models across the same axel. Different tread pattern. As a cheap remedy try rebalancing the tyres.

The damaged tyre was replaced like for like. Same make and tread pattern. It’s going for a rebalance tomorrow on a road force machine as there more accurate apparently

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I’ve just gone from 18’s on my s line 2.0 Tfsi saloon to 19’s on a black edition 2.0 Tfsi avant and haven’t heard a notable difference. The car does feel more stuck to the road and it feels sportier/ slightly firmer in a good way. Only time tyre noise is bad is when you hit the concrete part of the M25, it’s horrendous compared to proper tarmac. God only knows why they laid it (cost?!) especially as it’s laid in section and there’ s a lip every 30 meters or so to hit as well.

Reactions: Tripper
Had this once with a couple of poorly balanced wheels and when I went elsewhere and were rebalanced the noise and vibration above about 50 mph went away.

I’ve even had one occasion in my earlier motoring days where tyres were literally put on the wrong way round so that they didn’t even displace water never mind the ride and noise!

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
Had this once with a couple of poorly balanced wheels and when I went elsewhere and were rebalanced the noise and vibration above about 50 mph went away.

I’ve even had one occasion in my earlier motoring days where tyres were literally put on the wrong way round so that they didn’t even displace water never mind the ride and noise!

I’ve just has mine done on a road force machine and the vibe has vanished in the wheel at 70mph but still a tiny amount in accelerator but I think that’s more road feedback. Also the tyre noise seems a little better. Weird how a dodgy balance couldn’t effect noise. Now just need to find away to drone more of it out

Edit. Just noticed the guy had to set pressures when doing it. He’s obvs let some air out the tyres down to what my cold pressures would be but as it was 17 mile away the tyres were warm so they’ll be low when cold. Hopefully it doesn’t make the noise back to how it was

Last edited:
Slightly lower shouldn’t be a issue. The car will tell you. It’ll be quieter if anything. With these low profiles I’m scared to run the lower pressures. I have higher load rating tyres at (96). I think the load rating on 17”s for the car is 94. Hit a big pothole and the rim and tyre were fine. It did bottom out though. I run 38r 35f psi

Slightly lower shouldn’t be a issue. The car will tell you. It’ll be quieter if anything. With these low profiles I’m scared to run the lower pressures. I have higher load rating tyres at (96). I think the load rating on 17”s for the car is 94. Hit a big pothole and the rim and tyre were fine. It did bottom out though. I run 38r 35f psi

I’ll check in morning let tyres cool over night and adjust to the recommended comfort setting and see if it goes up again. If I’d known it would make this much difference in noise I would have never done it. Although it does look 100 times better it’s a trade off and at the moment the looks are winning.

I could always pop into the dealers and ask to test drive one on 19 alloys to compare couldn’t I

The 19” are better looking. You know you want to keep them. Here are mine. Pic was taken when we bought it. They are S5 reps.

5b16cee4114e4b63d333a174a39693ca.jpg

640039f0262a3890b559b94ffbd556d0.jpg

33522e0b8187c505db3b5b7e4d9a70db.jpg

1e885c6ba398dd17b0c0a3942d8ab74a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u, Toonsoldier91 and S19 MYD
The 19” are better looking. You know you want to keep them. Here are mine. Pic was taken when we bought it. They are S5 reps.

5b16cee4114e4b63d333a174a39693ca.jpg

640039f0262a3890b559b94ffbd556d0.jpg

33522e0b8187c505db3b5b7e4d9a70db.jpg

1e885c6ba398dd17b0c0a3942d8ab74a.jpg
Makes one hell of a difference doesn’t it

Reactions: WesT-gefül