To buy or not to buy, that is the qusetion

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I current have an 8P Sportback - 2.0TDI-170 s-tronic SE which I like very much.

Over the past months I have test driven a number of 8V 2.0TDIs both 150 and 184 and I have decided that my next car will be a 2.0TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro.

I cannot decide whether to change now or wait until my current car is a bit older. It was first registered in March 2012 so if I ordered a new one it would be just over 2 years old when I collect my new one. It has only done 24,000 miles. If I decide to wait until it's 3 years old it will mean that I will have to pay for another service and an oil change on the s-tronic just before I sell it or trade-in which I get little value from. Also the gap between the cost of a new one and the value of my existing one will only get larger.

Decisions, decisions!!

I am in the same boat as you - currently drive A3 2.0tdi 170 Black Edition s-tronic with loads of extras, basically audi called last week and asked if I fancied changing my car as have it on pcp so test driving a 1.4tfsi COD s-tronic tomorrow morning and have already negotiated new car spec,prices and monthly payments but have just laid out for big service including s-tronic oil change and 2 new tyres, so not sure whether to keep a little longer or change now.

I was in similar situation Dave (health problems aside). My S3 is 61 plate, 24,000 miles and unfortunately health problem is forcing me down the road of a transmission change as sciatica is plaguing my left leg.

Went to look at S3 8V. Was ready to pull the trigger after driving it as:

1) my S3 still has a part ex of £21.5k after 2.5 yrs!
2) the 8V is a significant step forward both engine, chassis and toys wise

I got back in 8P, and as much as I adore it the 8V is leagues ahead in almost all areas. Only sticking point was S3 was £42k loaded with no discernible discount, at that price it made no sense to not go S5 which has healthy manufacturer / dealer contribution, low APR and offers that bit more comfort. If the S5 hadn't been such a good price I'd have ordered the S3 8V (or be waiting for the RS3 announcement).

Tough call, but as I found out this year life is too short to say maybe tomorrow....

Does your current diesel have a schedule for timing belt change? If so, that's likely to cost as much as a normal service and gearbox oil change put together. Might be worth considering time of sale not less than 6 months before that is due to minimise it impacting your trade in value.

From your choices you seem to be a diesel man but the e-tron will be out ~Nov 2014; gov't contribution to purchase price and low tax. Its a petrol hybrid and not diesel but electric motors have torque aplenty. If you are in no hurry to purchase then may be worth a look but depends on the sort of journeys you do though.