To bother with 312mm brake upgrade?

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples opinion's are on upgrading to 312mm brakes or on putting on quality discs, pads, lines and fluid on my existing 288mm setup? My 1.8t is going for a SWICT remap that should see 235bhp so I would like to be able to stop time and again??!!
Its all getting confusing/seriously expensive....
Many thanks

ull appreciate the 312mm brakes. id get em if i were you. Safety before thrills :D

I agree with the above, had the 312's put on my Revo stage 2 Mk4 1.8T and would always go with upgraded brakes you only need to use them once in an emergency for them to be worth every penny you spent.

312's for sure, the 288's are just too small, and even with decent hardware, they'll still over heat.

312's, standard discs, and decent pads (NOT made by EBC) will do you nicely

I've got plain discs, ds2500's and goodridge lines, and noticed an improvement straight away, even with the added weight of the quattro.

I'm sure Prawn will mention how good the DS2500/DS3000's are...

Thanks, I reckon I'll be going 312, ds2500 pads, and mintex discs unless anyone has better suggestions? I'm looking at Eibach springs at the same time as coilovers don't like country roads! Although this will be costing around around a grand fitted with a few other bits and bobs.... There is an Imola S3 on ebay with a buy it now of 3k, anyone got any thoughts on that? Maybe if I could get 2k for my A3 then the S3 would make sense.......
Dannyh I'll pm you if I change the set up, MOT is in a week so I'll do it before that if I do....

Please use a better disc then mintex with the DS2500... I was running standard Pagid discs (not an aggressive barker before you think I am) and the heat caused by the pads is very hot and warped my standard discs in 4months! :( Been highly recommend Brembo max discs to use with the DS2500... Sat at home waiting to be fitted on Sat - would suggest you try and match the spec of the DS2500's with a decent discs else you may be replacing them sooner rather then later. (I've learnt the hard way!)

Makes sense, just out of interest, is there a good pad alternative to the ds2500?

Please use a better disc then mintex with the DS2500... I was running standard Pagid discs (not an aggressive barker before you think I am) and the heat caused by the pads is very hot and warped my standard discs in 4months! :( Been highly recommend Brembo max discs to use with the DS2500... Sat at home waiting to be fitted on Sat - would suggest you try and match the spec of the DS2500's with a decent discs else you may be replacing them sooner rather then later. (I've learnt the hard way!)

I too can highly recomen the Brembo Max discs, fitted them to my brothers BMW 320 and my mates Mini Cooper S and they are great. Got my 312mm conversion sitting here ready to go on my A4 as soon as my discs arrive.

Now the brakes are sorted.... Suspension suggestions please!!