To be or not to be dsg

Chillout

Reaction score
Hi I am considering a new car not sure what I want but I have always feared automatics as I have seen it as more to go wrong my first auto experience was a jeep Cherokee I hated it however a month ago I drove a dsg for the first time I found it ok but a bit strange but thought maybe it would grow on me but I still have concerns about how robust dsg is and do the drive like 10k at 100k are my fears unfounded ?

Hi I am considering a new car not sure what I want but I have always feared automatics as I have seen it as more to go wrong my first auto experience was a jeep Cherokee I hated it however a month ago I drove a dsg for the first time I found it ok but a bit strange but thought maybe it would grow on me but I still have concerns about how robust dsg is and do the drive like 10k at 100k are my fears unfounded ?

S-tronic is incredibly reliable, stick to the service regime and there really is no reason for it to go wrong.

It automatically limits torque, so dont worry about the clutch. (this can be adjusted so more torque is avail, it is an expensive road as the remap isnt cheap)

Earlier DSG's suffered with mechatronic issues, the later ones are extremely rare, like 4 leaf clover rare.

The manual clutches which come standard in the cars are like butter and will not take much punishment.

If power isnt your goal, then it really doesnt matter which you choose, as you'll driving gently and therefore not ruining clutches(manual).

You'll pay more initially for a DSG but it is worth it.

Reactions: Scottyg, N8 and RedDejavu
DSG has bad press,don't listen to the horror stories.
I have one and love it

DSG has bad press,don't listen to the horror stories.
I have one and love it

I hear a lot of these people saying "i feel disconnected".

People who say that must not have either tried one, or they havent tried one for long enough.

Its a different style of driving which you learn, and when coming from any other gearbox it is going to be a different way of life.

You have to give it a chance.

Personally, I couldn't be more in control.

My previous 8P's -

Manual 58 plate A3 170tdi.

Manual 09 plate S3

DSG 61 plate S3.

I'm not going back

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: J.R. and Dean_T
Dsg is plain awesome, I miss my a3 which had it, flappy paddles make it even more awesome on country roads :)
just make sure it's had it serviced every 40k, I'm helping my mate find one but have decided against a poorly maintained one.

Owned a number of cars with DSG since 2003. All fantastic, and so far trouble free.
Just have the oil and filter changed every 40k miles or 5 yrs, whichever is sooner.

Use the paddles or gear lever for that stick shift experience.

Like everyone else has said,I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

When you see the abuse that some of the modded cars hand out to the DSG,I think it's amazingly reliable.

Fantastic! I've been driving over 50 years and it's the best thing since they invented the car! :rock:

Reactions: Artimus, voorhees and S3Alex
I have driven a few cars with automated manual boxes, namely BMW SMG and DCT boxes, the SMG was awful, the DCT a little better, however the DSG in my wife's A3 is a revelation, I was sceptical at first but I am now won over, an excellent box. I wouldn't want to go back to a manual.

Dave

I am on my third DSG car, and I've converted my wife as well. The highest mileage I personally have had is 88k miles with a DSG (2008 TTS) and it was flawless throughout.

I'll never have any other type of gearbox again.

I agree with all the positive views on DSG and S-tronic. I first owned a 3.2 TT roadster with DSG and that was superb at the time. More recently my daily driver was a Fabia VRS (1.4 180bhp) with the 7 speed S-tronic - it was the perfect every day car and totally reliable. The s-tronic gives a car two characters, lazy economical cruiser in traffic and then truly swift hot hatch when the road opens and the mood strikes.

The S-tronic is perfectly suited to the RS3 too. Great for every day traffic and makes driving a 340bhp car easy and relaxing - not something I'd have said about a similar Scooby or Evo. The added toys like Launch Control and throttle blip on downshift in sport mode just add to the enjoyment of the car.

I like the odd track day too and that is where s-tronic really comes into its own. It is incredible, the up and down shifts are perfectly matched on track - you would think the RS3 knew the track layout. I've tried to beat the full auto sport mode lap times using the paddles myself and I can't! I know most people won't use s-tronic this way but its good to know it is perfect lap after lap. As for less engagement that is just rubbish, perfecting the line, hooking up to the apex and getting the power down flawlessly is addictive.

As others have said, I won't go back to a manual by choice, dual clutch auto all the way for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I hear a lot of these people saying "i feel disconnected".

People who say that must not have either tried one, or they havent tried one for long enough.

Nail, head, hit on.

I went from a always driving a manual car, ~19 years of it without ever touching an automatic.

My S3 is DSG, initially it wasnt too bad to get used to, my problem, which I'm still getting to grips with is what to do when I want to overtake or ad hoc spirited driving.

My head automatically goes to drop down a gear with the gear stick but then I think "hold on, either put it into S or play with the flaps" (oo-er missus lol).

It does take some getting used to but I wont go back to manual if I had the choice.

All the opinions seem positive so hopefully I am convinced or able to adapt to it as the first time I went for the brake in the jeep I nearly put the salesman through the windscreen

I've driven both Auto & manual cars since the late 70's and I have to say the DSG\S-Tronic is a revelation. I was given a 2013 A6 Avant S-Line courtesy car the other day when my car went in for a routine service! Manual gearbox, adaptive suspension, all the toys! but without the DSG, it seemed a chore to drive fast or slow and didn't seem in keeping with the prestige of the model. After just over a year of DSG driving, I really can't see the point of manual gear changes anymore, it seems an archaic experience now.

All the opinions seem positive so hopefully I am convinced or able to adapt to it as the first time I went for the brake in the jeep I nearly put the salesman through the windscreen

Do you mean when you went for the non-existent clutch? :eyebrows:

I purchased an a3. 3.2 with dsg a month ago. Ok it's the older dsg but I will never go back to manual again.

I'm looking at swapping my manual S3 for a DSG version, do all the years have the same box or was there any updated versions?
Also what's the service schedule for the DSG box like?

I'm looking at swapping my manual S3 for a DSG version, do all the years have the same box or was there any updated versions?
Also what's the service schedule for the DSG box like?

every 40k, well 38k I think

every 40k, well 38k I think

Yep must get mine in as it's on 43k now and on the DSG has anyone ever gone back to a manual shift having not been satisfied - reasons I can't think of anyway?

I don't have a big car history of 3 manuals and 1 DSG.

I don't think I will ever go back unless I'm given a manual

This is my first DSG/Auto after previously being a sceptic and having never owned one.
Doubt I would go back to a manual daily driver now.
Take some practice to drive fast though.
And from experience the S3 manual clutches are poo.

Let me put it like this. Went from a 250BHP Honda S2000 manual ( 0-62 6secs -ish) to a DSG 2 litre petrol A3. LOVED the excitement of the Honda ( had sports exhaust ) but you had to thrash it and stir the box to make it go. The Audi is sadly without drama but the seamless way it zips to 70mph + is far far superior to that of the Honda, AND in Sport I swear it's as fast. The clever bit is the DSG box, for it changes gear far quicker than the human can, and compared with the Honda the ratios are much better spaced. Floor it in auto Sport and it will lunge forward with much suddenness alarming passengers, but moving into manual (not the paddles) and changing gear at max revs. it is all smooth and fast. Then the DSG allows you to potter making driving in traffic utterly stress-free.
Why would anybody want to stir a stick that comes out of the floor to change gear. It's Edwardian and so last century. Maybe it's a man thing, insecure, the fear of not being in control, a need to grab a knob and play with it. And then there is F1 - all Buttons and auto boxes

Excuse me for being childish, but I think manuals just sound nicer. Especially an s3.

Id love to try a DSG though due to never actually driving an auto, and I do often think while sat in traffic or chugging around town in stop start that I'd like to have an auto at that point.

This is my first DSG/Auto after previously being a sceptic and having never owned one.
Doubt I would go back to a manual daily driver now.
Take some practice to drive fast though.
And from experience the S3 manual clutches are poo.

When I bought mine,the DSG wasn't an option,and in retrospect,I would probably have bought the DSG if it had been.

Yes,the manual clutch that Audi supply is made of chocolate,and needs upgrading,but I think the only saving grace of the manual is when you get to BT conversions,where the cost of that,plus a clutch pack upgrade etc for the DSG becomes even more than the already serious costs thus far.

So....I'm OK with a manual,but the DSG would have been a good choice.

I've only heard good things about DSG, and quite fancy one myself.

Rented a car this weekend and got an automatic Kia Cee'd Estate, not the best car in the world but was so much easier driving in traffic. Don't know if I'd miss the clutch when booting it around decent roads though :think:

I've only heard good things about DSG, and quite fancy one myself.

Rented a car this weekend and got an automatic Kia Cee'd Estate, not the best car in the world but was so much easier driving in traffic. Don't know if I'd miss the clutch when booting it around decent roads though :think:
lol, a C'eed isn't much of a comparison to be fair! it wasn't built to compete with premium cars.

You need to actually drive a DSG to get any idea of how good they are compared to manual & auto boxes! They can only really be compared to normal Auto boxes if you're sitting in a line of traffic, But every other time they're usually exactly what you want them to be, with plenty of options for gear changing. Very easy to drive (0-50 mph) around town & still engaging when pushing on in Sport, Tip or Paddle shift mode (60→) on open roads! A manual clutch soon becomes unnecessary hard work in probably 95% of driving situations.

If you're thinking of changing cars, you should certainly test drive one before making a final decision.

lol, a C'eed isn't much of a comparison to be fair! it wasn't built to compete with premium cars.

You need to actually drive a DSG to get any idea of how good they are compared to manual & auto boxes! They can only really be compared to normal Auto boxes if you're sitting in a line of traffic, But every other time they're usually exactly what you want them to be, with plenty of options for gear changing. Very easy to drive (0-50 mph) around town & still engaging when pushing on in Sport, Tip or Paddle shift mode (60→) on open roads! A manual clutch soon becomes unnecessary hard work in probably 95% of driving situations.

If you're thinking of changing cars, you should certainly test drive one before making a final decision.

It was the first auto I've driven and I know I can't really compare it to the Audi's DSG, but it was so much more relaxing to drive compared to a manual.

I'm going to be looking for another A3 next year so I'm definitely going to look for one with DSG to test. No doubt my mates will laugh at me for getting an 'old mans auto' at 21 though!

All positive for me too! I am now 2 years in to my first ever Audi, first ever DSG too. Its abso-f**king-lutely awesome! I really do love it. I had my DSG mapped and that has made it even better for my 'life' on Nottingham's ring road full of 40 mph or 30mph SPECS cameras. LOL. I have been lucky enough to have had my car from new so I know it has been well looked after and will continue to do so. Go for it, you will love it. I have come out of a modified Subaru that I owned and modified from new over the 7 years I had it and my S3 is so much better for me. Its Audi all the way for me now. Love it, really love it.

my old a3 quattro 2.0t had dsg, it was the only option for that car when i got it.. i was put off but i really wanted that car so i went for it. at first i didn't like it as im a manual man but once i was used to it, my mind changed, they are awesome and im starting to wish my s3 had it

Ive had 5 manual cars (two where VAG's) and now onto DSG & there is no way im changing back. I Test drove a manual S3 & then a DSG. The DSG blew me away with how quickly it changes gear and how in control the car feels, which is odd. Makes the car feel really smooth which even my Mrs. commented on!!

The manual car felt quite raw, like my old civic type R raw, the gear shift was really smooth but it just felt like a fast manual car. The DSG feels like a fast prestige car, which to me is what it is, whilst looking nice and understated on the road. As has been said you will pay more for DSG initially but you'l quickly regain it again when it comes to selling. Buy one, we would all be very suprised if you hated it by the looks of things!

Finally I changed my car to a b7 Passat dsg and after an hour driving it I dont think I will go back to manual

Remember is not an auto either. Its a manual with 2 mainshafts controlled by 2 clutches.
The clutches are where the auto bit comes in. In simple form they are driven by electronically controlled hydraulic solenoids, (Mekatronics)
Ive had 2. First was an R32 MkV golf. 2008. It had a Mekatronics from the early batch with faulty solenoids (teflon lining). They were changed under warranty (28k) and I never looked back.(115k)
My current 2010 S3 also has the DSG and so far its faultless. Mention was made about the sound with a manual car above..well the DSG 'Fart' is the best thing Ive heard :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JDP and grainqey
Everyone needs DSG in their life. And if anyone is gonna say XYZ about automatic boxes, drive a DSG for an hour and then go drive a Mercedes or BMW autobox...

Everyone needs DSG in their life. And if anyone is gonna say XYZ about automatic boxes, drive a DSG for an hour and then go drive a Mercedes or BMW autobox...

Used to own a 2007 E-Class 320CDI with 5-speed automatic gearbox, was utter crap. Driven friend's GTI with DSG - a thrill!

Reactions: Sayam
Never really driven any Mercedes but my friends 5 series, OMG!! I could literally make a cup of tea and drink it before that box decides it wants to change gear.