To be or not to be...an A5?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I currently have a 2010 S3 Sportback on lease. I am due for a change next year and in a bit of a dilemma as whether to order an A5 Sportback now or extend the lease and hold out for the new S3 Sportback (which I guess will be due early 2014)?

Basically I love my S3 but there are a few things I would want for my next car. Main ones are more economy, lower emissions, more comfortable ride and a larger boot, but still want good power/accelertion. I have been looking into the A5 Sportback 3.0Tdi Quattro as this seems to have everything but it's pretty expensive and may be too big! I would also prefer a petrol as they do sound a lot better and now the new S3 details have been released I dont know what to do!

I am going for a test drive in an A5 tomorrow albeit a 2010 model so it will be the slightly less powered 3.0 and not have the same grille etc but I guess there is not much difference between this and the new 'facelift' version?

Is there anyone here that has come from an S3 to a 3.0Tdi A5 and were they happy, did they miss anything from the S3?

Cheers,
Nick

I got rid of my 07 S3 Hatch and now have a 59 plate 3.0 TDI. I really like the A5, it's a different car completely from the S3 so it's not as quick round corners etc but if you stick your foot down you will certainly keep up with an S3! Mpg varies, I do a lot of town driving ,on day to Friday so don't see above 25 going to and from work but if I'm not sitting in traffic for ages ill get 30. Best I've had is 41.5 mpg to Newcastle from Aberdeen and back again on the one tank.

It's more comfortable than the S3 it has to be said.

That's my 2 pence, hope you enjoy whichever you go with!

Thanks 5ean, I am not too bothered about the cornering as I don't 'throw' my car about as much as I used to.
I am a bit worried about the MPG though! I know it varies between the person etc. but I was hoping I would get more around 45. I do about 60% of driving on the motor and most of the rest on A roads. Although I can easily get 31 from the S3 which is only about 10% off the published combined figure so I was hoping 10% off the 3.0Tdi would make it around the 45mpg mark!
Will see how the drive goes tomorrow!

Thanks 5ean, I am not too bothered about the cornering as I don't 'throw' my car about as much as I used to.
I am a bit worried about the MPG though! I know it varies between the person etc. but I was hoping I would get more around 45. I do about 60% of driving on the motor and most of the rest on A roads. Although I can easily get 31 from the S3 which is only about 10% off the published combined figure so I was hoping 10% off the 3.0Tdi would make it around the 45mpg mark!
Will see how the drive goes tomorrow!

Just thought with yours being an 59 plate is it the 236bhp engine rather than the 241bhp one? If so then your MPG is probably about right so maybe I would be able to achieve 45!

Yes I have, they are a little cheaper than the A5, but I think I prefer the A5 styling and saloon boot opening is pretty small.
Although they do have a lovely lava grey A4 BE at Derby Audi, may have another look at it tomorrow! lava seems to be the colour I want though. :D

Well, had a test drive and I really liked it. It was a pre-facelift model but was comfortable, drove really well and even being a diesel the V6 sounded nice. Now going through the brochure and trying not to go too over the top on the options! Should have final lease quotes in soon and all being well will be ordering! ;)