To add roof rails or to not add roof rails ?????

deolanp

Reaction score
Hi Guyz

I am really Internally battling myself with this...

Iv read through the forums and some are saying that it sets the car off and well some opted without it.
I trust you guys to have the knowledge that I simply do not have to make this decision.

A3 SB Misano red 1.8tfsi......My build week is approaching so theres little time for me to tell them to exclude the rails.

From my point of view Im not against either way,but I just want to not regret afterwards.
The roof rails to me make the car look abit taller and less slick??this is judging from pics i have seen on here.
Oh iv also added pano sunroof so not sure if it goes well with that?

Please assist if possible .would mean alot.

Thanks in advance :)

My Mrs hates them. I love them. I think they make the SB look a bit like the larger Avant models Audi make - just a smaller version.

Unless you are really going to get use out of them 75 % of the time i would say no too sublime for my tastes .

Extra wind drag , for no purpose .

Unless you are really going to get use out of them 75 % of the time i would say no too sublime for my tastes .

Extra wind drag , for no purpose .

Thats the thing, im probably never going to use them.I was thinking it might add value to the car when selling it??? Oh and personally if im buying an a3 I doubt I want it looking like an avant :/ ....but it could look nice looking abit larger and meaner.This is so hard...majority of people here say it sets the car off oh and its coming standard on the 1.8 so I would be deselecting it I you guyz convince me too...

Depends if you want your car to look like an estate or not. It is estate cars that have roof rails isn't it?!... Exactly why I opted NOT to have them!... [ducks...]

Reactions: Belfin and Louay
We have had pano roof and bars on several 8p and current 8v S3. We have them because we use them.! They do look good however particularly the Alu in contrast to dark colours. Black on black 8P black edition never looked quite so good all IMHO . As for looking like an estate car, not sure on that one!!

Personally, I think it makes the Sportback look like an estate. I wouldn't have them.

But, like most things, it's down to opinion. If you'll make use of them then for practicality reasons you should probably get them.
If it's purely for aesthetic reasons, then only you can answer it really.
Try the "post pics of your A3 here" thread. Have a look at all the pictures and decide whether you like the roof rail ones or not.

As others have said it is down to ones own opinion, for me I prefer the cleaner line without the rail and have not chosen it. Go with what you think looks the best and not whether you will get a better re-sale value.

Personally I think it completes the look of the sportback, and the contrast with a dark colour (if you opt for them in aluminium) really sets the car off.

I'd ask yourself are you ever going to be in the position you 'might' need them? Kids planned or ski trip? 4 adult in the car and need luggage space? If you answer yes to any of those, then add the bars and I'm guessing a retro-fit is an expensive option.

I've had bars on most of my wagons, from an Impreza WRX, 8P S3 and even my JCW for bikes and holidays etc.

If it doesn't spoil the look for you, in my opinion, I'd have them on.

I doubt resale value with or without will be much different . On the 8 p my dealer offered to retrofit for the same cost as option when new.

Looks wise as posted it is a personal thing and we only got them because we use them!

They are the only reason we bought the S3 !
Not another car on the market that can hit 60 sub 6 seconds, 4wd and has the correct dimensions to fit one side of our garage.
RS4 is too long and too big for the 2 of us, the S3 really was the only option .... My wife loves it and its quick and comfy and surprisingly quiet with my bikes /skis on the roof. An excellent utilitarian machine.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Depends on what else you have specced on the car if you are never going to use them i would say get something you will use for the money. You can always add roof bars without the rails for the odd occasion that you may need them. Personally I got them but I do use the bars a lot so was a no brainer for me and do like the look alu on black but do agree with the estate comments.

From a purely practical point of view, roof rails aren't necessary as a roof rack can still be attached without rails.

I didn't bother and I don't regret it and have already carried 3 bikes on the roof without issue.

Roof rails are or at least seem to be far more secure than conventional roof rack fitments.

I ordered them as I just thought they suited the shape of the A3 Sportback quite well. To my eyes, it does look more estate-ish than hatchback (especially with the window behind the rear passenger doors) so would look a bit incomplete without.

That said, and despite getting the rails more on aesthetic grounds, I probably envisage I will utilise them for carrying roof loads at some point.

I suppose I could possibly use them at some point in the future.I really dont mind them its just that I dont want to regret not having asked you guys first.The rails are more angled so its not exactly that upright and dont look too bad.

Theres also the concern with the pano sunroof and how it goes with the rails.Iv seen pictures but certainly not enough.Im going over to the dealership today to see if they possibly have one with and without rails.

As long as it doesnt look too 'not hatchback' then I guess i could live with it :)

Sorry Ade that's clutching at straws IMHO. The roof rails reduce the amount of paint visible and the small bit of Alu is easy to clean!! ;-O

I suppose I could possibly use them at some point in the future.I really dont mind them its just that I dont want to regret not having asked you guys first.The rails are more angled so its not exactly that upright and dont look too bad.

Theres also the concern with the pano sunroof and how it goes with the rails.Iv seen pictures but certainly not enough.Im going over to the dealership today to see if they possibly have one with and without rails.

As long as it doesnt look too 'not hatchback' then I guess i could live with it :)

Take a look at my Avatar and also bigger picture on the A3 Cabriolet thread. IMG_2151_zpsec5d0a4e.jpg Photo by AudiS3SB | Photobucket

Sorry Ade that's clutching at straws IMHO. The roof rails reduce the amount of paint visible and the small bit of Alu is easy to clean!! ;-O

Ha Ha. Yes!!!
I did consider them when speccing SB but prefer without.:yes:

I would say if you plan or need roof rails add them. If not leave them off.
I quite like them in the Aluminium on our Sprint Blue S3. Having said that we use them for bike racks and also a roof box so essential for me.

Reactions: PilotAudi
So I just was at the dealership and seems like my decision is made for me.Apparently in south africa you don't get roof rails on the a3 neither can you order it.So no roof railz it is :) :) im so happy I dont have to choose anymore

A3 = Yes to rails

S3 = No to rails

I chose rails simply as I like the look of them. Not likely to use them.

Reactions: CraigI, PilotAudi and Daveotto
I ordered them as I think they look great! But yes, it's just personal taste I guess. I test drove a SB in Shiraz red with aluminium rails and it looked good. My build week is 19 and should get it first week of June- will post some pics!!