TMU's Glacier White B8.5 S4 - MRC Stage 2

What was causing the bleeding boost after 3,000 rpm?

The tune wasn't optimised for the dual pulley,so it was bleeding boost as I was exceeding the boost targets

does having the custom stacked chargecooler make a noticable difference in preventing high IAT's resulting in timing bening pulled and a noticable drop in power?

It certainly does,on dual pulley I still only see IAT's in mid to high 50's .Never have any timing pull for IAT's now :)

Belwd53.jpg

Reactions: V6_Man
I'm thinkin of adding a additional charge cooler to mine, can you offer any advice? is two OE size coolers as effective?

It did 8.5 seconds,but I was testing something & had an issue at high revs so I expect it to be quicker than that

How did you measure?
Vcds with speed and timestamp works well
8.5 is insanely quick.

Just checked & it was 60-120 measured (close hahaa )
5hzGQv7.jpg

Reactions: bobby singh and V6_Man
The big Merc racing one is a quad pass too.The OE pump seems to be handling it OK.You can always do the 100% duty cycle pump mod too though

Alloy Repair - Platinum Alloys Swindon

It has been ages since I updated the thread and whilst there are not mods this time, I did get both rear alloys repaired. As I have taken alloy insurance when I bought the car it came with 10 repairs over 4 years and at Year 1 I thought let's get alloys sorted; a pair at a time.

@scotty76 suggested Platinum Alloys in Swindon and the car was booked in with them for a week. Initial plan was to get one repaired but asked them to do both couple of days before dropping the car. Doing two and not all four was intentional as I wanted to be able to do a comparison between "old" and "new" and see how good a job they had done.

Received a call from them cob Friday and went to pick her up Saturday morning. I spent approx. 5-10 minutes/alloy to compare them not only against the front ones but also if there were any differences between both refurbbed ones. I had washed, polished and sealed the alloys before I dropped off the car and had my waterless wash with me, which I used to clean the front ones to make sure they were as clean and original in colour before I did the comparison. And I must admit I can't fault the quality of work - it is spot on!

The quality of finish, the diamond cut around the alloy and overall finish is perfect and worth the £117 that I paid for each alloy.

Just to give you guys an idea of the kind of cars they do I took some pictures including before and after:

81c4175f80df7b5eb873c33604a59a26.jpg

0e81b57c8db6fa2db0a0b74fcb94aec5.jpg

Before: doesn't tell the actual damage but it had a couple of stone chips and scratched inside. The dealership (Ox Audi also damaged the alloys (very minor but it was there)

84ccb4dc79809aea1bd85bbc9b3f3f79.jpg

1e1f41364f15bd687df4254afb984400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xpoweruk and jdp1962
Not a lot to add apart from that the car is in today for its major service. When I booked in the car Oxford Audi recommended "oil & fuel decontamination", which I said no to.

Link to the thread where I asked for opinions re: the decontamination.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-b8-5-full-service-question.357266/

So, whilst the car is in for a major service as I write. I asked Audi:

1- No additives/preservatives/decontamination - whatever Audi calls it
2- No washing (there is a horror story that a colleague at work mentioned whose B9 A4 was serviced by Oxford Audi a day before Christmas - details of what Audi Oxford did to his car and 4 others to follow)
3- No updates of any sorts

I did get an email link with AudiCam showing the "progress" along with a "recommendation" that they were "unable to change air filter due to the car having a performance filter fitted". Audi advised this be carried out. I called them straight away and asked them not to change it.

I am slightly surprised. At the last service (Jan 17) I was told that brake pads were @40% and would need replacing in March 17. 9 months on and the pads are still worn @40% or what the video tells me. I know I drive like a Miss. Daisy but it is embarrassing :(

The worn on the tyres is not that bad. Rears are @6.51 and fronts @5.71 and they were changed almost a year ago.

Fingers crossed, lets hope they don't screw up anything and that I get the car back in the condition that I gave them in.

So, you come back to pick up the car and find this - effing annoying! I did say don’t wash but I didn’t say make it dirty. Let’s see what the service manager has to say -

6f1576616e278bcd90e4a72337e2d5c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xpoweruk
So, you come back to pick up the car and find this - effing annoying! I did say don’t wash but I didn’t say make it dirty. Let’s see what the service manager has to say -

6f1576616e278bcd90e4a72337e2d5c8.jpg

@Tashfeen - Feel your pain mate

Not the service you would expect from an Audi main Dealer TBH

@Tashfeen - Feel your pain mate

Not the service you would expect from an Audi main Dealer TBH

I was really ****** @Bristle Hound. It’s not just there on the wing but on the bonnet, under the hood next to the coolant bottle and the front plastic panel - all over mate.

Showed it to the service manager who took the pictures and said he will mention it to the manager and was very apologetic. I just left the dealership fuming. But then received a call from the dealership manager who apologised and asked to get the car professionally valeted and send him the receipt. So, search begins for a good detailing company near Oxford.

Reactions: RS5 JON, xpoweruk and Bristle Hound
It’s exactly what I’d expect from an Audi main dealer! Sadly

It’s annoying Jeff. I cleaned the engine bay few days ago as it needed some attention and despite the rain yesterday washed the car as I wanted to be able to see if they screw up and I am glad Audi didn’t disappoint. To be fair to the manager he was apologetic and asked for the car to be professionally detailed and they’ll reimburse. And whilst it is a kind gesture it is about finding the time to find a good detailer and dropping off the car.

Reactions: xpoweruk
I was really ****** @Bristle Hound. It’s not just there on the wing but on the bonnet, under the hood next to the coolant bottle and the front plastic panel - all over mate.

Showed it to the service manager who took the pictures and said he will mention it to the manager and was very apologetic. I just left the dealership fuming. But then received a call from the dealership manager who apologised and asked to get the car professionally valeted and send him the receipt. So, search begins for a good detailing company near Oxford.
@Tashfeen - Make sure you make the garage 'pay' buddy ! ;)
It’s exactly what I’d expect from an Audi main dealer! Sadly
@jdp1962 - Your probably right Jeff, unfortunately :(

Reactions: V6_Man and xpoweruk
If I were you, I'd be asking for a courtesy car from Audi dealership while the detailer has yours, why should you be put out because of their shoddy workmanship...... :wtf:

JG

@Tashfeen - Make sure you make the garage 'pay' buddy ! ;)

@jdp1962 - Your probably right Jeff, unfortunately :(
Well, even if all we do is take the aggregate of @Tashfeen's experience, @Bristle Hound's damaged alloy and the idiot parking jockey who dinged my car with the door of another customer's car, it isn't stacking up too well for Audi dealership service quality, is it?

Reactions: Bristle Hound and V6_Man
Well, even if all we do is take the aggregate of @Tashfeen's experience, @Bristle Hound's damaged alloy and the idiot parking jockey who dinged my car with the door of another customer's car, it isn't stacking up too well for Audi dealership service quality, is it?
@jdp1962 - Very true Jeff
I wonder what my local SEAT main dealer's 'experience' will be like

Definitely not good for my local dealership. After this service I don’t think I am going back to them at all. The colleague of mine I mentioned in the other thread, the rear LEDs on his B9 A4 were damaged by water while they carried out the ‘courtesy wash’ after servicing his car. He had all sorts of error lit up on the instrument cluster. He had to escalate it to Audi UK to resolve as he was not getting any response from them.

It has been a while since I last updated my thread and while nothing "major" has happened a few things have been done to the car since Jan this year.

First off, the car was detailed in February by Nick @ Detail My Car (DMC) - Newbury based. Initially, I spoke to @FranA3 about the ceramic coating however, I decided to go to Nick as I wanted CQuartz UK Finest Reserve coating applied to the car, which Fran didn't offer. I have seen some of Fran's work and I must admit that if I did not have any preferences I would've definitely gone to Fran for the detail. He has done some really stuff!!!

Few pictures from when the car was detailed including the products that were used:

- DMC Enhancement Detail to restore the paint back to as new as possible
- CQuartz Finest Reserve Ceramic Coating
- Front two wheels refurbished
- Front calliper decals (both sides)
- CarPro DLux Coating applied to all 4 wheels
- Interior deep clean and protected
- Engine bay cleaned

The paint came up beautiful and looks as good as new even after 5 months since the coating. Few pics fyi

edc20e375c360bd50e33b9a387718949.jpg

3b13d6b58e1e9de4ddbd8f83b95977fd.jpg

35e14fde54908d6bb23ce1f7992222b1.jpeg

ff95a47d5fd0011bfed39652c62f79e9.jpeg

2ba5d7f730ff6bade1dd2cee4b098e81.jpeg

5b1639b0d6e65782cf0db64dbdf0f467.jpeg

93b50d18021f0b88904fcba7f5ce650b.jpeg

cb3b027529dae1e9125073d61e8e54a5.jpg

951eb2037b8f29c848a3dc1239632202.jpeg

Reactions: Andy Butcher, Bristle Hound, scotty76 and 7 others
Brake Upgrade

After nearly 2 months of deliberation, consultation as well as sifting through ASN and Audizine I finally decided which brake setup I would go ahead with. And I must also thank @45bvtc @Dippy and @JG51 AUD for their invaluable input in helping me decide.

After having considered ECS 2-Piece (floating as well as non-floating), Brembos, Zimmermans as well as between Q5/SQ5, RS and Porsche conversions I decided to go ahead with EBC USR Slotted fronts and rears with Redstuff pads, Goodridge braided lines and DOT 4 brake fluid. All of this was done on Monday this week by Mark @ MDM Technik (Marlow). I left the car at 8am and picked it up around 3:30pm the same day.

So far, I have only driven 200 miles to give a view of performance side of things. We are still in the bedding-in phase and will be for another 800-ish miles . The 200 miles covered have mainly been motorways with around 20 odd city driving. I haven't exceeded 60mph so far well, only once and have been applying very gentle braking.

The next step hopefully over the weekend is going to be 7-8 60-20mph stops followed by a few 80-20. I have an idea about a quite stretch of road to be able to do that and it will have to late at night.

However, with the little bit that I have driven the pedal feels absolutely fine and so does the 'braking'. We'll find out more once the whole thing finishes

Visually, the rotors look mega bucks and much better than the stock ones. They do look meaty!

I am on the hunt for Q5 4-pot calipers as a next upgrade and as things stand I might bite the bullet and go for brand new from either TPS or Audi. We'll see. Picture FYI:

7e21c2261a75c7b13dcebe9f04eec193.jpg

5f7ce36e7f812debae471478c3e47fc7.jpg

95c7af5baec1d699f5634dc59a743d96.jpg

95272906f97701f9096e9e54fda5183d.jpg

You can see the pads residue only at the o/s rear discs, alloys are quite dirty though

51350c94bc73331081ea59c55d8681a7.jpg

Reactions: scotty76, A4A4, jdp1962 and 2 others
Oh, and I forgot to mention that although the decals were refreshed only a few months ago the "4" on the n/s front caliper carrier went rogue last week. So, I bought a new one rather than the decal, which was replaced by Mark as well. Below is the part number in case anyone is interested and it cost me £36 from from Mike (Worcester Audi).

e602a0280f6432c6691530953009f399.jpg

e5f6f96360f1490c55f6067c16dd4bcf.jpg

Reactions: NevMan and A4A4
So far, I have only driven 200 miles to give a view of performance side of things. We are still in the bedding-in phase and will be for another 800-ish miles . The 200 miles covered have mainly been motorways with around 20 odd city driving. I haven't exceeded 60mph so far well, only once and have been applying very gentle braking.

The next step hopefully over the weekend is going to be 7-8 60-20mph stops followed by a few 80-20. I have an idea about a quite stretch of road to be able to do that and it will have to late at night.

From my (limited) experience bedding in is very important so stick with the regime!

What made you decide not to go for the slotted and drilled?

What's with all the patterning on the seats and carpets?

More of a visual thing and nothing else. I love the 'stripes' and requested Nick if they could make them. Not sure if they do it on every car they detail. It doesn't last long and disappears from the seats as soon as you sit on them. The carpets/mats last slightly longer though.

Reactions: scotty76 and NevMan
From my (limited) experience bedding in is very important so stick with the regime!

What made you decide not to go for the slotted and drilled?

Based on the reviews as well as after discussions with John (@45bvtc) and Mark I decided not to go with drilled and slotted. Also, I don't think drilled and slotted was an option under USR series. There is then also stress-cracking which drilled rotors are notorious for.

I am confident that this along with Q5 4-pot would be just about the right setup for the kind of driving I do - occasional spirited.

Reactions: xpoweruk and NevMan
So, the car had its second MoT today, which it passed with flying colours .

Oh, and there is another update - see below. An option that I am considering. I have it for next 24 hours to test and make a decision. Would be interested in your thoughts

5160abeb4a943ec00cef1e52ba76e948.jpg

Reactions: NevMan
Very expensive. Very heavy. Even if Audi has been conservative with the 4.9s 0-60 it's not going to feel as quick as your S4, and as for handling...

Reactions: Bristle Hound