1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMU's Glacier White B8.5 S4 - MRC Stage 2

V6_Man Apr 8, 2017

1. Cerbera9

Cerbera9 Well-Known Member

I bet they're fun to fit without lifting out the engine!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Cerbera9

4. xpoweruk

xpoweruk TTTS 8J Smile Machine Team Meteor quattro Audi TTS

Right hand drive needs a slight dent/adjustment apparently

5. arad85

arad85 Well-Known Member Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition

Knew I spoke too soon!

Having to have a few bits and pieces removed (back to stage 2) whilst they look at an issue back in the US. As you may know, the new engine has a different supercharger to previously and is driven by a magnetic clutch. It appears to be a weak point on the higher levels of tune so they are not happy with that. Kudos to the team working on it for seeing the issue, and dealing with it properly. I've been impressed with the very long hours worked and honest approach the guys at Awesome/APR UK and APR US have had.

One to be mindful of on stage 2+ CREC-based engines from other tuners.

Chop., xpoweruk and V6_Man like this.
  6. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 quattro Audi A3 Black Edition

What I have been struggling to get to is the reason(s) for Cats failure. It seems Tune can be one of the reasons but not the only one. With the links sent above the good thing is that there are more than one replacement options available. And given the size of mod investments everyone has made I'd think we should be fine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xpoweruk likes this.
  7. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 quattro Audi A3 Black Edition

One of the things I have definitely noticed is the amount of heat the car now generates, which can be attributed to cats failure, I was thinking of putting an extra cooler in to bulletproof it. Any suggestions on that.

8. V6_Man

And it looks like it is going to be a 6 month project and I would like to do it in the below order:
    1- Exhaust
    2- Supercharger Cooler
    3- Brakes (I might stay stock as I am not doing track days), and
    4- B12 Sportsline

arad85 likes this.
  9. xpoweruk

Merc racing are putting together a heat exchanger package for the S4 over in the US as we speak.It will be very well priced too by the look of it

V6_Man likes this.
  10. xpoweruk

11. V6_Man

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

I'm interested to know what info you have about this. I have the oil temp reading on my DIS and it doesn't seem to have changed much with my stage 2. My plan was to wait until the hot weather in Summer (assuming we get some hot weather this year) and then see if my car overheats before investing in a cooler.

My plan was also that if I get a cooler I'd also increase the size of my Vdamper but now that APR has found out that the CREC supercharger clutch will slip I probably have to abandon that plan :(

V6_Man likes this.
  14. xpoweruk

The oil will likely not show any measureable difference because it disipats heat in to the the main coolant circuit via the oil/coolant heat exchanger. Same as the coolant will stay at a steady 94-95*C
    The chargers coolant circuit will show a measureable difference though.An app like torque is needed to see that though

V6_Man likes this.
  15. V6_Man

You are right in that the oil temperature doesn't show any difference as such and although I haven't measured the actual difference using an App like XP has my observation is based purely on the basis of how hot the car feels compared to before the remap. Now I must admit that I do drive like a Ms. Daisy and don't thrash it too much but a little bit that I have done compared to the two drives that I have done since the remap there is a difference in the heat coming out of the engine. But it might be my paranoia. So far, I have relied on my experience of the car rather than any hard statistics. The immediate thing I am going to invest in is an Android phone, an app and an ODBC2 Bluetooth

16. V6_Man

And I have just realised that 'My Company' needs a new Phone and some IT equipment to do my work more efficiently. How can I get to work if my 'IT Equipment' is ageing

xpoweruk likes this.
  17. arad85

There's probably an equivalent apple phone app.

V6_Man likes this.
  18. xpoweruk

I imagi e the extra heat is from the charger not getting cooled effectively, without extra cooling they get very hot, with cooling you can hold ya ha d on top without issue

V6_Man likes this.
  19. arad85

There's a reason people sell expensive radiators to put in the front of the car then :)

20. Dippy

Thanks. I have a Ross-tech dongle so I can access engine data with VCDS. Do you know what I need to log?

21. xpoweruk

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    V6_Man and arad85 like this.
  22. xpoweruk

The below graph shows the difference cooling can make

zULqGWb.jpg

Chop. and V6_Man like this.
  23. Dippy

Thanks XP

xpoweruk likes this.
  24. V6_Man

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both had a shower today. Spent 8 hours on the silver one; 1 Stage correction as by the time I finished it was 8:30. She also had an under-chassis wash and we were both very happy in the end

Chop., arad85 and xpoweruk like this.
  25. V6_Man

I am also planning on taking the silver one to MRC for a remap. It is 140 diesel, multitronic and a little bit power would make it more exciting to drive. However I have also read horror stories about the gearbox. It is Mrs' car and has only done 62k on the clock.

xpoweruk likes this.
  26. V6_Man

Needs some advice. I have been reading different forums, XP and Chop's builds and couple of other guys asking the same question. I want to lower the car just a little bit. Mine doesn't have a Sports Diff and I was thinking about going only Eibach springs along with the swaybar. Do you guys think it would be OK or should I go Eibach Springs along with B12 kit? What is the perfect drop (know it is relative but I like XPs drop). Also, it is 255/35/19.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  27. Chop.

Chop. Well-Known Member

6 hours labour aint bad the down pipes alone are a bitch to change

V6_Man likes this.
  28. xpoweruk

Mines on dropped around 15mm front 10mm rear iirc
    I only had the rear ARB fitted to encourage more oversteer

Chop. and V6_Man like this.
  29. V6_Man

Cheers bud. So Eibach only would do that or I need them along with the B12 kit?

30. Chop.

Chop. Well-Known Member

i suppose its personal prefernce at the end of the day, i just went springs and im happy with the feel on the standard shocks but someone slse going for a 40mm might want to do a full kit

IMO if your not going for a massive drop ie 20-25mm i'd go just go with the springs

( im talking advertised drop not actual drop )

V6_Man likes this.
  31. xpoweruk

Eibach will give you that kind of drop,maybe up to 20mm front 15mm rear

I like the way the front drops a touch more adding rake & improving turn in

V6_Man likes this.
  32. V6_Man

Perfect. Chop and XP you guys are true legends.

xpoweruk and Chop. like this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. V6_Man

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last night picture didn't do the justice so I thought I'll add some more. The shiny black chassis - and I can sleep peacefully tonight

35. Chop.

Chop. Well-Known Member

get myself or XP round and team chav can cut some holes in your bonnet :screamcat::sunglasses::tongueclosed:

gary_a4_quattro, arad85 and xpoweruk like this.
  36. xpoweruk

Hahaa grinders at the ready :rockwoot:

Chop. likes this.
  37. V6_Man

Hahaha. I don't know how you guys do it. I would be too scared to cut the bonnet. What if ...

38. V6_Man

Right Troops, where can I get in UK this ECS rear diffuser

[​IMG]

xpoweruk likes this.
  39. Lavis89

Lavis89 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Sprint Audi S4 Audi A3

Awesome GTI are the ECS importers. If they don't have it on their website ping them an email and they'll put in a special order. Works out cheaper than ordering directly from ECS and having to pay shipping + taxes

V6_Man, GarethS4 and xpoweruk like this.
  40. V6_Man

Cheers @Lavis89. Email sent, will give them a call first thing tomorrow as well

It is time to start ordering and get things in place and I hope to have all mods done in next couple of months. Still to go:

- Milltek Race Resonated (can't afford Valvesonic for next 4-5 months and I want an Exhaust asap ). Ordering tomorrow.
    - Rear Sway Bar
    - Eibach Pro Kit (or KW)
    - Charger-cooler

xpoweruk likes this.
  41. Lavis89

Lavis89 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Sprint Audi S4 Audi A3

I like the milltek personally, there is a little bit of drone but I've never regretted buying it, it's only over a small part of the rev range.

xpoweruk likes this.
  42. Cerbera9

I'd be interested to know how much difference changing the rear sway bar makes? The only people I've found so far that just sell a single rear sway bar are Awesome GTI who sell the 034 Motosport one but also I've considered the H&R front and rear kit but not bit the bullet yet.

43. xpoweruk

With sports diff do both
    Without do just rear

V6_Man likes this.