1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

TMU's Glacier White B8.5 S4 - MRC Stage 2

V6_Man Apr 8, 2017

1. arad85

arad85 Well-Known Member Team V6 Audi S5 Black Edition

Good info. Thanks.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. xpoweruk

xpoweruk TTTS 8J Smile Machine Team Meteor quattro Audi TTS

Not as often as I have on US boards

4. xpoweruk

Fair enough.If the cats failed I'd gut them & have universal ones put further down the system TBH.
    That way the cats will be cooler & more easily accessed if they failed again

5. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 quattro Audi A3 Black Edition

I remember Doug mentioned that on Saturday when I asked about x-pipes.
    Also, since the upgrade I have noticed the engine generations more heat than normal. I work very close to home; 3.2 miles both ways. I believe it is normal isn't it. How do I check temperature (stupid question probably )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Cerbera9

Cerbera9 Well-Known Member

There are many dual pulley set ups in the US running more boost = more heat thus killing the cats

7. Cerbera9

Exactly, why spend £1500 on and exhaust that gains nothing only then to have a cat go down that means another £1000 to fix plus a map tweak. I'd spend the money on doing the cats before the exhaust tbh

8. xpoweruk

Ahh but the exhaust sounds epic :)

GarethS4 and V6_Man like this.
  9. xpoweruk

If ya have android get torque pro & an OBD dongle

I use mine every day

[​IMG]

As you can see I keep my eye on cats,IAT's,boost :)

V6_Man likes this.
  10. V6_Man

V6_Man Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 VCDS Map User Team Scuba Audi S4 quattro Audi A3 Black Edition

So it is an Android Phone, Torque Pro and an OBD dongle . I am unfollowing you buddy

xpoweruk likes this.
  11. arad85

Point me at some replacement cats that will last longer than standard specs for a B8.5 S4/S5 and I'll pre-do the cats before they go.

Also, it's going to depend on the mechanic whether they're going to have to drop the gearbox out or not.... so cost could be high.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. V6_Man

MRC do cat replacement. If I recall correctly it is £1k.

14. arad85

Will contact them and report back here...

V6_Man likes this.
  15. V6_Man

I am expecting a call from Ben@MRC tomorrow re: exhausts and RS5 brake setup. I'll check as well.

arad85 likes this.
  16. Cerbera9

Tbh personally I would just go with test pipes and have the map tweaked to suit that way u know they'll never fail again, plus they are easier to fit and it doesn't require removing the gearbox

17. arad85

And how am I going to pass my MOT?

18. xpoweruk

Get to know a local garage ;)

V6_Man and Cerbera9 like this.
  19. Cerbera9

What he said ;)

20. arad85

tut.... tut.... tut....

21. Cerbera9

Your tuning an already quick car to further improve its performance and ability to exceed the speed limits which I'm sure like the rest of us you do from time to time so your clearly not worried about that and then your worried about a once a year emissions test!? Lol

xpoweruk likes this.
  22. arad85

Hey... I changed from a 2l diesel to a 3l petrol simply because of VW's emissions scandal.....

Honest.

xpoweruk and V6_Man like this.
  23. arad85

And it's not about exceeding the speed limits, it's about who gets there quickest.....:innocent:

24. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

Well your thread has certainly become interesting.

Obviously I don't know the details but I can't believe that the reluctance was to provide a custom map for that ratio. After all MRC's own standard and large pulleys have a DP ratio (i.e. both are greater than that provided by the single smaller supercharger 'nose' pulley). Plus MRC was happy to fit my non-MRC pulley and provide a custom map.

No, I don't have DP, I just have a crank pulley, but it is not an MRC pulley. As to whether or not MRC would entertain doing a map tweak with the UC - well if you don't ask, you certainly don't get. I may or may not take this further myself - after all 475bhp makes my car ****** fast already!

That's good to know. Do you know what mileage the car had done when it was tuned? I certainly do not disagree that the extra heat from tuning will reduce the life of the cats, but if that's around 90K then certainly I could live with it.

V6_Man likes this.
  25. arad85

Oh wow. 475hp is a great number for crank only....

V6_Man likes this.
  26. Cerbera9

I too have the MRC stage 2 package & 475hp and luv it, my friend s and I together run four MRC stage 2 S4's

V6_Man likes this.
  27. Cerbera9

V6_Man likes this.
  28. skiptowncat

skiptowncat Well-Known Member

On 98k now, had the mrc stage 2 since 70k...no cat issues here.

V6_Man likes this.
  29. V6_Man

30. arad85

OK.

Since APR UK have a pic. of my car on their Facebook page saying they are doing ultracharger work, I will come clean and say my car is the CREC-based APR development car for the rest of the World. They have been working on my car since last week with a tuner from APR head office who flew over specifically to do this. I have dyno run graphs but can't share the data from that at the moment. What I can say is the gains on this engine going from single -> dual pulley are all in the low-down torque rather than peak hp.

Today, they have fitted the ultracharger. Let's see if they can tune with it on the CREC based engine - I've been told it's a totally different tune on the newer EU engines. Based on my analysis of the data from the APR page, I'm expecting the ultracharger to kick the torque up across the whole range, but "double kick" it at the areas where improvement starts to fade on the dual pulley.

skiptowncat, V6_Man and xpoweruk like this.
  31. Cerbera9

Cool can you confirm the full spec/mods on this car?

32. V6_Man

Awesome buddy. Believe it is the black one on their page, right?

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. arad85

Sure, base spec in my sig. Mods (as of right now), APR stage 2+ tune, APR TCU tune, APR supercharger pulley, Carbonio intake system, APR crank pulley, APR CPR v2, ultracharger. Currently being tuned for the ultracharger.

Mods to go before I get it back: 034 transmission insert, 034 rear sway bar, AWE resonated touring exhaust.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  35. arad85

Could be... could be... ;)

Don't want to subvert your thread and will start my own when the time is right, but thought a bit of disclosure was right given the number of posts I have made and the fact that APR have disclosed they are working on the UC in the UK (I didn't know they'd disclosed until earlier today!!).

36. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

Yes, that's what I was alluding to. As you agree, MRC is a great company and they only want to do work that they can "approve" of. Good on them for that.

Not the answer I was hoping for :( Whilst it is "likely" that the cat has aged, it is also "possible" that it was fine and got killed by the tune. Well @arad85 is kindly using his cats as test subjects now :)

I totally agree. As my wife would say "more money than sense". I call it getting the best I can if I can afford it :) (And I did get a big discount when I bought my car)

I think apart from one or two tanks of 95 at the start of ownership I have always used mostly Shell Nitro with the occasional tank of Momentum. I always assumed that the stock S5 ECU does not advance timing to take advantage of anything higher than 95 RON, but I didn't care and always paid for the best fuel. However I discussed this with Doug and he wasn't sure that it was true. I never compared performance between fuels so I can't say.

Anyway, I filled up with Momentum before getting to MRC (because there is that Tesco nearby) and told Doug that I mostly use Shell Nitro because I have to go out of my way to get to Tesco stations where I live. He said that aside from bad batches, Nitro and Momentum are much the same octane. So my car has been optimised for 99 RON and I will continue to use Nitro, but when I get the choice, Momentum instead.

I couldn't find any info about the OEM TB, but APR has already stated that the engine probably won't run if the UC is fitted without a remap. That suggests that the motor and position sensor signals in their UC TB are sufficiently different from the OEM that ECU settings need to be changed. So undoubtedly their challenge is only to find where the setting are in the SIMOS 16 since it is different from the SIMOS 8.4/5. I would be shocked if this is anything more than a minor challenge.

V6_Man likes this.
  37. arad85

Yes I am. How very kind of me!

I messaged MRC earlier and they do do replacement cats based on metal 200 cell cats that are MOT friendly. If you need them, they're gonna cost upwards of £1500 fully fitted (including 6 hours labour). The price I was quoted was higher than that, but that's the order of price - depending what sort of discount you can haggle - if any.

V6_Man likes this.
  38. GarethS4

GarethS4 Active Member

Why are the cats so dear to get replaced on the s4

39. arad85

I have no idea, but those are not Audi parts, so don't know how widely available they are and whether there is some custom pipework needed. Will do some research locally to see what's available.

40. xpoweruk

labour wise it's because they are so awkward to get at

[​IMG]

Chop. and V6_Man like this.
  41. xpoweruk

Chop. and V6_Man like this.
  42. arad85

Bumf says bolts direct to LHD engine. I reckon they haven't tried a RHD one... Guess that's one way to get rid of the cats....

43. arad85

Over £1000 of that >£1500 was for the cats... They quoted 6 hours labour, which given the placement I thought fair enough.