Tires: V vs W, 91 vs 94

Shira

Reaction score
Hi, 2008 Audi A3 8P1 1.4 TFSI (125 hp), acquired in 2018.

When I bought the car it had 2 Dunlops on the front and 2 random chinese branded tires on the back. At the time I swapped the chinese ones for 2 new Bridgestone Potenza S001 225/45/R17 94W XL and put them on the front.

Fast forward, the Dunlops are now in need of replacement, and I was wondering, given the car's top rated speed is around 203 KPH (126 mph), and V = 240 kph, W = 270 kph, is it ok to swap the Dunlops for a V? (then I will have 2 W and 2 V), I've read a lower speed tier will last longer and produce a comfier ride, is that right? what about the load, if I pick 91 instead of 94 for the new ones, does that matter? (will still be XL)

Thanks in advance.

I would fit the tyre ratings recommended for the car by the manufacturer

They don't specify other than "205/55 R16 - 225/45 R17"

Depending on where you’re located your speed limit is 60mph or 100/110kph so largely irrelevant.

Depending on where you’re located your speed limit is 60mph or 100/110kph so largely irrelevant.

120, but my point is:
- are higher speed rated tires "better" (maybe more reinforced, better heat resistance)
- do lower speed rated tires offer a more comfy ride/more endurance to tread life?

and about the 91 vs 94 load rating.

Try to stick to the same rating all round, it’s your choice whether to go V or W. If you do mix, put the lower speed rates tyres at the front.

Hi, 2008 Audi A3 8P1 1.4 TFSI (125 hp), acquired in 2018.

When I bought the car it had 2 Dunlops on the front and 2 random chinese branded tires on the back. At the time I swapped the chinese ones for 2 new Bridgestone Potenza S001 225/45/R17 94W XL and put them on the front.

Fast forward, the Dunlops are now in need of replacement, and I was wondering, given the car's top rated speed is around 203 KPH (126 mph), and V = 240 kph, W = 270 kph, is it ok to swap the Dunlops for a V? (then I will have 2 W and 2 V), I've read a lower speed tier will last longer and produce a comfier ride, is that right? what about the load, if I pick 91 instead of 94 for the new ones, does that matter? (will still be XL)

Thanks in advance.

XL for extra load means a stiffer tyre carcass, nothing to do with the speed rating or hardness of the rubber. Given our A3/S3’s are a heavy car for their size, you’ll need XL tyres.

Reactions: Shira
I'm kinda confused trying to find the right ones from Autodoc:

See here, it says XL everywhere, but then "Extra Load: NO"

oF300mT.png

Then here

wBAy3jO.png

Think it's just a typo then on their site? I remember last time I bought these same tires (on another site) their price was around 72 gbp. The description didn't specifically mention Extra Load, but the name did, and there was really a "XL" on the tire itself.

(edit: maybe you can recommend me different ones around 70 gbp/70-80 euro?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryant1998
Are you UK based? Have you tried Blackcircles? I find they are usually the cheapest around, autodoc aren't cheap for tyres even with the discount code applied.

Are you UK based? Have you tried Blackcircles? I find they are usually the cheapest around, autodoc aren't cheap for tyres even with the discount code applied.

I'm in a little Spanish island, just used the UK site to take the screenshots to share (price is around the same). I'm also considering the Michelin
Pilot Sport 4, the Potenza seem to be aging kinda fast so I'm open to try different ones from Bridgestone/Michelin/Yokohama.

I'm in a little Spanish island, just used the UK site to take the screenshots to share (price is around the same). I'm also considering the Michelin
Pilot Sport 4, the Potenza seem to be aging kinda fast so I'm open to try different ones from Bridgestone/Michelin/Yokohama.

I'm looking into the PS4 or the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 for my next change.
Read good things about the Eagle AS5 and cheaper than the PS4. Had PS4 on my previous car and they had softer sidewalls than the Bridgestone RE050A but were much more comfortable and compliant over bumps and potholes.
This might be interesting for you.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TyreReviews