Tiptronic....

ascr

Reaction score
So 3 weeks and 1500 miles in I'm not loving the Tiptronic box some of the time... It's a 50tdi and I've come from a C7 bitdi with Tiptronic.

Positives, the gearbox is definitely smoother in the C8 and I like that it changes to higher gears very quickly under gentle acceleration. I also love the integration with the nav and the efficiency program where it tells you to take your foot of the pedal and the car runs on battery for up to 30 seconds, with the box coasting, very intuitive and very well thought through.

What I am really struggling with though is the painfully slow response to accelerator inputs at low speed, e.g. going 10 miles an hour and then needing to get a move on floor it and even kick down seems to take ages. I know you can alleviate this by putting into dynamic or holding a gear with the paddles, but I'm really not enjoying this at the moment. In the C7 it rarely, if ever, kicked down into first in low speed corners, maybe that was because of the availability of a slight wider torque band due to the two turbos, I don't know....

Does anyone think this will improve as the car 'learns' my driving style, or is it just the way it is?

Appreciate your thoughts out there.

I don't like A6C8
40 TDI sport apart from gearbox slowness.ride for 225/255r18 tyre with 36 air pressure.ride is too harsh.as roads in Glasgow.even small broken road surface and whole car jumps.
I actually feel I should have bought something more practical.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I don't like A6C8
40 TDI sport apart from gearbox slowness.ride for 225/255r18 tyre with 36 air pressure.ride is too harsh.as roads in Glasgow.even small broken road surface and whole car jumps.
I actually feel I should have bought something more practical.

Try a C7 BE on 20 inch wheels... then you'll know what a harsh ride really feels.like..!

Reactions: NevMan
Even the sline's with sports suspension and 19" wheels aren't considered to have a harsh ride...

Reactions: NevMan
I've got no complaints with mine.
Agreed, I also have found the S line on 20's to be far far better than the C7 on 20's. In terms of the ride quality. It's just nicer.....

I can imagine that the smaller diameter wheels are even more accommodating.

Reactions: DaveW
I drive over some terrible country roads, broken surfaces, really bumpy and my standard Sline on 19s soaks them up really well. I was a little concerned it might be too harsh but no complaints, rides great.

Reactions: ascr and DaveW
We have a 40tdi S Line on the standard 19" wheels and the ride is sublime

Reactions: ascr and DaveW
U all r lucky people. May be mine is not aline that's why. It is like driving a go cart. I had a jaguar that was just fine.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

That's not really how it should be as your car has the standard suspension, thus it it isn't lowered and is softer than the sports setup as fitted to the sline model.
There is not much we can do for you really...

Reactions: ascr
So technically my car ride should be more comfortable or every small potholes I should feel more.as I am confuse.

Hi Glasgow,

Sorry to butt in, I'm certainly not an expert but my understanding is (and guys please, please correct me if I'm talking out my backside)

Sports has "standard" suspension
S-line has "lowered" suspension (by 10mm)

So if we assume the bottom out point is the same (the same lowest ground clearance point) then the sports has 10mm more travel before it bottoms out and the dampers would have more opportunity to control any body movement over a (slightly) longer travel distance - thus making it potentially "softer" than the s-line.

Regarding the wheel size - obviously it's all about the proportions of tire side wall creating an additional damping effect. Clearly the bigger rims have smaller side walls and are less forgiving as there is less rubber to flex (this is changed, but only probably to a small extent, by the tire pressure that you have set at 36 psi ).

You're right, I think the softest ride should be your 18" Sports trim - Harshest ride should 2o" S-Line trim - before the any adaptive/upgraded dampers options are taken into account.

Sounds like you've got some pretty irregular road surfaces to be traveling over, but probably have the best combination of suspension/wheel size that Audi offer on the C8, it's a real shame it's not as you'd hoped. Not sure what options you might have except drastic ones. I can't imagine that changing tyre manufacturers would make any significant difference, and retro fitting dampers is probably not financially practical so you may be stuck with it or moving vehicles?

Sorry to hear about your troubles

Cheers

Reactions: cuke2u
So technically my car ride should be more comfortable or every small potholes I should feel more.as I am confuse.

You are correct, unless you've very low profile tyres...

I would also check the tyre pressures as often as not the car will be delivered with them set too high. On mine there is also a comfort setting you can inflate them to...

I guess this is so subjective and down to personal experiences and preferences...Glasgow1 it's obviously not working for you and that's a shame, but conversely I am delighted with mine.

Maybe you do have a real problem with your set up, have you tried test driving another one the same as yours to compare? If you do and it is no different then unfortunately you have an issue that the majority of us do not.

Reactions: cuke2u
Apologies Ascr - you're right back on topic, looking forward to hearing about anyone who has installed pedal boxes, or a tuning chip on the C8s

Reactions: ascr