TipTronic shifting

banjo_guru

Reaction score
I am basically a manual shift guy, but was unable to find an A6 with manual. So I bought one with tiptronic (used).
I understand it learns your shift characteristics and adjusts to the way you drive.
The transmission shifts unlike any automatic I ever had.
I like to keep it in high for fuel economy, but when in a pull it seems that even when I let off a bit hoping it will force it to shift, it doesn't !
(I finally get frustrated and flip it into tiptronic mode and force it to change.
Is this normal, or should I be concerned?
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Hi there,

I have a new A6 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport with tiptronic. This is my first venture into the tiptronic market and I am finding it difficult to get to grips with. As you have found the 'box holds the gears much longer than I feel is necessary resulting in much higher revs before the gears shift. I have discussed this with the dealer and was told"....yes, they are all like that". Not much consolation, I'm afraid. I just dont feel the car uses the vast torque available to it. I had a manual 1.9 tdi A4 previously and frankly you could just about start off in 5th and hold it there.

As for the fuel consumption i agree that it is wasteful and cannot get more than a combined average of 31 per gallon. This is spot on to Audi figures.

Regards