Tints or no tints on Daytona

S3JOJ

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for opinions on privacy glass / tints on Daytona? (purely from an aesthetics perspective)

I probably would have spec'd privacy but since my car was stock I didn't get the chance and am now considering tints.

If you are in team tints - how dark?

Cheers,
Joe

Tints :) Adds class, I'm not sure on the exact darkness but don't go limo tint aka drug dealer

Tints:
IMG_5777_zpse61480fe.jpg

I have the privacy glass on my Daytona and think the tint is just about right so whatever % that is will be fine.

Definitely tints, my last TT didn't come with privacy glass and my dealer was able to arrange tinting before I collected it. It was a good job and looked factory, may be worth asking your dealer if they can arrange something similar.

Yep defo tints - check out the Show Us Daytona thread.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
All personal preference, but tints all the way. I speced privacy glass, but from a tint point of view would look for a similar shade as stated above.

Hi All,

Looking for opinions on privacy glass / tints on Daytona? (purely from an aesthetics perspective)

I probably would have spec'd privacy but since my car was stock I didn't get the chance and am now considering tints.

If you are in team tints - how dark?

Cheers,
Joe

Depending on the lighting conditions factory p glass can look dark or er not as dark!This was taken on the one day that was our summer ...hence the clouds...I really do like Daytona..I'll miss it when its gone in June....
Tint

Reactions: Rob2k68
Definitely recommend tints. Like you my car was stock and I couldn't spec tints. Put up with it for a week before having it done. Transforms the looks. Just avoid gangsta limo tints! Mine was one above that as the guy said it was closest to factory tint..

I actually do not like tints that are not the same all over.
I just think it looks odd to have a difference between front and back.
Yes daytona is a good colour for a grey tint, but all over not just the back .
Of course limited by what is allowed by law.
I appreciate i am in the minority , but just my view.

Without factory privacy glass you'll get 76% light transmission (LT) through the windshield and 70% through the other windows. The legal requirement only applies to the windshield and front side windows but rear of the B post will use the same 70% LT float glass to match.

i would also like to point out that the tints for me were more than just aesthetics ...they do serve a purpose - for the little back seat drivers...I have also ordered p glass on my forthcoming saloon

My RS3 arrives without tints in a couple of weeks so I'll be having the dealers retro - costs £150, for a while I thought I would try and buck the trend and go with normal glass to show off the Lunar interior but now its getting closer I find I need a tint in my life !

I also have 2 kids under 9 so the tint does make life more comfortable for them in summer months especially as they always seem to have there heads into some kind of screen these days.

It's a tricky one as no tints on my current S3 Cab and that looks great but much less glass :)

..and it avoids sticking on those nasty blinds!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Spin140
I bought my S3 used without Privacy thinking tints would be just as good. 3 months in I'm still struggling to adjust to the weird glare I get from headlights mainly at night caused my the very tiny gaps caused by the rear screen element in the film.

Aesthetically it's very hard to tell the difference between tints and factory privacy, but practically I'm seeing the differences.

I've considered replacing all the glass but that isn't going to be a cheap conversion to satisfy my anal needs!!

If you go down the tint route make sure you get them done by a recommended company to avoid a bad fit. I've had mine checked by a couple of people now and I've been lead to believe what I'm experiencing is the nature of aftermarket tints not a bad fit.

Looks wise I'd say yes, but maybe have a closer look at a car with tints fitted before you commit.

You could get a privacy glass retrofitted to the rear and leave the tints intact on the side windows.

You could get a privacy glass retrofitted to the rear and leave the tints intact on the side windows.

This has been suggested to me and this cost would be a much easier pill to swallow. It would also resolve my only issue with the tints, but I'm slightly concerned the car would then have odd glass when it comes to resale. I suppose I could save the original screen and have it refitted when that time comes if anyone noticed.

Has anyone thought about spraying/frosting the actual glass on the outside by a professional sprayer? Would this work and what do you think the cost would be?

£100 for aftermarket tinting VS ~£500+ for replacing the glass, would spraying be somewhere in the middle? As with many other peeps I hate the halo effect of my tints!

Not Daytona but gives you an idea of tints. I didn't spec privacy glass because the dark is so dark compared to the front and looks off so got them tinted after I picked it up. Front is light smoke and rear is smoke. I think factory is 35% which equals to dark smoke

Has anyone thought about spraying/frosting the actual glass on the outside by a professional sprayer? Would this work and what do you think the cost would be?

£100 for aftermarket tinting VS ~£500+ for replacing the glass, would spraying be somewhere in the middle? As with many other peeps I hate the halo effect of my tints!

Not sure spraying the glass would make it transparent enough?

My latest quote for replacement glass is £795 and that's from a recommended friendly company. Auto glass quoted £1400. It doesn't seem worth it to me and at that price I think I'll live with glare or just get the rear screen done for £200-300.

Reactions: Zak0123
Not sure spraying the glass would make it transparent enough?

My latest quote for replacement glass is £795 and that's from a recommended friendly company. Auto glass quoted £1400. It doesn't seem worth it to me and at that price I think I'll live with glare or just get the rear screen done for £200-300.

I know I'm in exactly the same boat, outrages prices so I think I'll live with the halo!

Some guys spray/mist their rear lights so could do the same thing? Seem to recall you can get specific spray for tinting glass that allows light through, surely this is what Audi does with the OEM glass anyway?

I know I'm in exactly the same boat, outrages prices so I think I'll live with the halo!

Some guys spray/mist their rear lights so could do the same thing? Seem to recall you can get specific spray for tinting glass that allows light through, surely this is what Audi does with the OEM glass anyway?

I believe that factory privacy glass has dye put into the centre of the pane leaving the outside surfaces smooth and clean. I've not heard about any sprayed options for glass and I'm not sure I'd be up for doing this.

Personally I am going to live with the 'Halo' effect as you call it for now and I might just replace the rear screen if it bothers me too much. Replacing all the glass at a cost of £800 is just throwing money down the drain in my eyes, it would probably be cheaper to trade the car in and buy another S3 with Privacy already fitted.

Its certainly a lesson I won't forget.

Reactions: Zak0123
Not Daytona but gives you an idea of tints. I didn't spec privacy glass because the dark is so dark compared to the front and loo
off so got them tinted after I picked it up. Front is light smoke and rear is smoke. I think factory is 35% which equals to dark smoke
View attachment 80853
now that I like. I just don't like dark at back only. Looks odd to me . If that is uk legal then yep that is nice.....

Any tint applied to the front side windows is illegal in the UK - it's already at the legal minimum from the factory which is 70% Light Transmission, 76% for the windshield.

Reactions: gamegenie
Or use the boot
I get keeping the sun off the kids, just prefer to see the windoes the same. Othwewise , it visually cuts the car in half and detracts from the lines.
That said the 8v does not have the best lines out there....

I'm fine with the looks ......

ISTsQtKk

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Almost my twin. Except the mirrors and the tint.
Daytona is a great colour to show the lines , but prefer without the tint. Just personal choice...

Almost my twin. Except the mirrors and the tint.
Daytona is a great colour to show the lines , but prefer without the tint. Just personal choice...

Sounds sweet ! Get some pics up for comparison - may help others decide ;o)