Timing

A3 NICK

BOOOOOOOOOST!!!
Reaction score
Hi all just fitted my new cambelt, done the whole sodding thing then realised the crank has gone one tooth past TDC :banghead: Is this ok as its only advanced my timing by a small amount? This shouldn't cause any damage to valves should it? but will it affect the torque band? should I set it back to normal or is it ok to leave it as it is? car is an A3 98 1.8t agu

Cheers hoffmanvp3 was just curious, will redo it tomorrow morning. Ran out of light this evening!

or could burn a valve as it`ll allow the combustion process to enter the exhaust manifold or up the intake manifold depending on how much you have advanced or retarded the timing

Last edited:
Advanced by one tooth, left it all open so will only take a few to set it right again. Just hoping it doesn't decide to rain like today.

Nope, just noticed it didn't line up so called it a day and left it for the night.

Damn annoying though! Oh well cam back off tomorrow and will all be fixed. Followed by a fun filled turbo change lol

Cambelt all done and timed correctly now, Fitted my KO3s as well. Easy enough job just could have done with a bit more space. Quick question though, Under load the car has the slightest intermittent dip and gain in boost, as if the car cant get fuel in quick enough. Still got to wait a couple of weeks till my remap but just wondering if anyone has an explanation as to why this could be happening? Thanks

Mine does that on gearchanges when pressing on, or when progressing from no throttle to wide throttle angles.

Boost guage immediately jumps to 5psi, sits there for a moment, then swings round to 10psi.

On mine, I'm fairly sure its simply because the map isnt dialled in for the turbo.

Must just be my map is not working with the new turbo, Feels like the ECU doesnt know what to do with the mass amount of air going in now! Hopefully the map will sort this out as the car runs fine when cruising and when power is eased on. Are you still waiting for yours to get mapped?

be very careful driving it with the k03S and old ko3 map mate, it won't be fuelling correctly and could cause issues if you thrash it.

Looks like sensible driving until remap day then :sob: will try and get my map day moved soon then hopefully will be back on the road properly :racer:

Prawn could i just unplug the N75 and run of actuator pressure until its mapped? Just to keep everything in control.

You could yes.

If its an AGU, i wouldnt be too worried though, the ECU just backs off the boost a bit to ensure the stock airflow targets are met.

Driving sensibly until its mapped is obviously a good idea either way.

Ok Cheers guys :beerchug: cant wait to get up to R-tech now and get it mapped!! Wonder how long i will be happy with a KO3s until i want more power and a huge turbo lol! I would get a stern one of these from the Mrs if that happens :eiertritt: