Timing Rebuild/fault Code Thread Complete - Time To Drive (pics)

JimGreen

Reaction score
Well, at long last my timing rebuild has been completed.

Now up and running great and just waiting for Jake (JHM) to send me their Tune (93) which will be on I guess within the week. So while I have a few spare minutes thought you might like to see the car my previous Rebuild/Fault Code Thread was all about.

Here she is, back on the road and just had a quick wash.... Detailing to follow shortly but she is really immaculate already...... LOL.

It's days like today when you've spent weeks of late nights and questioning yourself, that it made it all worthwhile.

BIG THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT GAVE ADVICE, HELPED OUT, MADE SUGGESTIONS ETC ETC. Really appreciated and hope my Rebuild/Fault Code Thread will help someone out in the future.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: S4_dan
Very nice finish Jim. Glad it all came together in the end and can hide the total £ away from the other half, as I seem to fail at that LOL.

Great news - nothing quite like the feeling of getting your car back on the road after a lot of work!

when you come to sell please PM me! I think I saw a thread on the M3 you had before, you have a lot of love for your cars.

Madmike01uk
- I don't think I will be selling the Audi for a while Mike, but I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Yep, I did have an e46 M3........I have to admit I'm a car alcoholic..... I think you'll find this is the one you remember......

I sold it to buy this.......

And before the M3 I had this.....

And before the TVR I had this...

And before the M5..... I had the only car that I've ever wished I had never sold.... It's now in a collection over in Ireland and I keep tempting the owner to sell it back to me but he won't.......... Arghh

I don't know what the equivalent to an alcoholic would be, but I'm probably a car alcoholic..... But I never have a problem selling a car, only problem is I spend too much on them........Arghh

Last edited:
You are a god among men! Been wanting an M3 for a while, but a house extension has put an end to that for now. Your S4 looks immense and I would genuinely have it off you when you finally come to sell. Enjoy it mate.

Hi Mike....... Probably a better investment doing the house extension. I live in a box, but Wimpey call it a house, have nice cars though, but your investment is the wiser....... LOL.

I can honestly say, that I believe the S4 is a much better car than the E46 M3, build quality better (Except the timing chains of course) and I get more enjoyment out of using the V8's torque, than I did having to keep the M3 above 5k rpm to get any decent power. All the power on the M3 is in the last 3k rpm of the rev range which means your always seem to be thrashing it if you want to stay in the power band. Still a very good car though.

Yeah true, I test drove an M3 earlier in the year and was actually surprised it felt quick, I've ridden super bikes and driven some seriously quick cars so was expecting to be underwhelmed (like I was when I drove my mates 996). If the S4's didn't have the chain issue I would be all over it, I think I would only buy one that like yours has have preventative maintenance done to resolve this. Enjoy her mate, she's a beauty.

very tidy, was looking at the CBR's but lack of funds and time to ride it stopped me lol. Last year I owned a bike I didn't even manage 500 miles, too many hobbies and two kids didn't give me much spare time.

I can imagine Mike. I haven't done many miles this year, no money left after the Audi...... LOL.

Fantastic. And of course the immense satisfaction of having solved that tedious problem you had, not to mention having done such grand work on the engine.

Top job pal!

Have you had any scrubbing issues with the BBS's yet?

Ryan