Timing chain tensioner

mikeyorion

Reaction score
Hi all

My chain is rattling on my 1.8t 20v , what sort of job is this to replace and what replacement should I be looking for/best place to get one ?

I've seen you can buy the plastic guides for them on eBay but guessing it probably a good idea to replace whole unit

Thanks in advance

Normally a good idea to replace the chain too invade its stretched, definitely get the special tool for clamping down the tensioner. It's not a bad job. You can do it with the belt in place of you replace just the tensioner, just remove the inlet cam, new rocker cover gasket and tensioner gasket is essential, torque for cam carrier caps is 10nm same for the rocker cover, just out of interest. When (if ever ) was the last time the oil pick up pipe/oil pump was cleaned changed? As this can cause lack of oil and rattles when engines warm/hot. Oil pressure warning light doesn't necessarily come on all the time on some I've had due to sludge..

Well I've just had the rocker cover off for a look and the engine is full of thick black sludge ,so I think I'm going to look to replace oil pump and pick up and might aswell do the chain and tensioner aswell

But from past experiences I'm thinking it's going to need engine sooner or later so I'm debating weather to do the pump or just start looking for a engine and pop some spunky rods in that ready for future upgrades

Last time I got a topran oil pump from eBay it was only £32 all in.. but didn't come with a pick up so had to clean it out.. but getting rid of that sludge once it's in there is a right pain in the ****... tried oil treatments and cleaners and all sorts but to no avail... I did think about using mr muscle or cillit bang as a system cleaner but bought it might be a bit harsh when up to temp...

Yea it's the same with jags I work on , once they are sludged up there not much in ways of getting rid of it apart from a complete strip down

So left debating on finding another engine to build up properly once and for all