Timing belt - when to change?

smokeymike

Reaction score
My A4 Avant 2.0T (petrol) will be 5 years old in October. Does the timing belt need changing at 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner)?

Also, is it best to have the water pump replaced at the same time?

My local independent garage has quoted me just over £300 to do the job. Is this reasonable?

Comments appreciated.

5 years or 60k i think
yes change the w/pump

According to the letter Audi sent me yesterday for my 2006 2.0t it's every 5 years or 75,000 miles.

£399 from Audi plus the water pump (I've not asked but I expect £70 extra)

It's mot time as well so might do that first then book it in next month for the cambelt.

Chris

My A4 Avant 2.0T (petrol) will be 5 years old in October. Does the timing belt need changing at 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner)?

Also, is it best to have the water pump replaced at the same time?

My local independent garage has quoted me just over £300 to do the job. Is this reasonable?

Comments appreciated.

That sounds a reasonable deal. Yes, like the other posters have said, five years or 75,000 miles, whichever happens sooner, and it's definitely a sensible move to get the water pump renewed at the same time. It's only about another £50 or so for the part, but it's the same labour job as the cam-belt, so change it whether it needs doing or not. The last thing you want is for a water pump that's working fine now to seize up in six months' time, and strip all the teeth off your shiny new cambelt.

Is the timing belt different to the "Toothed belt"? In my service book it says the toothed belt is to be replaced every 115,000 miles. I have a 2.0T FSI.

Thay maybe 115km which is about 70,000 miles but most do it 5 years or 60,000 miles for each one whichever comes sooner i have 2.0tfsi with 138k on the clock i changed it as soon as i bought the car with 131k on. £300 ballache over £2500 of heartache was a no brainer for me :)

It definitely states 115,000 miles (180,000km) for a 'toothed belt replacement'. The diesels are 80,000 miles btw, according to this.

I was just unsure if this is the actual timing belt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
agree with Mikey...my book shows the same, I had 55k on my old car when p/x back with Audi and there was no mention of it at all.
I bought mine with 58k on the clock and again, no mention. I'm here to be told otherwise, as I wondered if i'd got the wrong end of the stick.