Timing belt tensioner help please

Dakes55

Reaction score
I just bought an OEM timingbelt kit for my 2002 A4 B6 Avant 1.9 tdi pd with the AWX engine, I understand how to lock the timing and replace the belt but mine has a totally different belt tensioner to the ones shown on youtube, mine has a metal bracket attached to it and as I understand it has to have a 6-10mm gap as there is some sort of damping pin, all I can find on youtube is a Hungarian video but I can't understand how to apply the tension, I've also ordered theT10008 locking tool that wasn't in the sealed kit I got, any help on this or directions to a youtube video, thanks

Where did you get the kit from.
Kit number ?.

I got it from GSF car parts, it's a Ruville German kit part number 5549470 it comes with all the bits including new stud and nut, the water pump is an Airtex genuine oe, £130 for the lot.

Forgot to mention this kit is for the 1.9 PD with the hydraulic tensioner.

No it's not, mine is a completely different tensioner, anyway I've done it now, the best youtube video explaining this and the only one I could find was the Hungarian one.

I don't really know, mine is a 2002 Avant maybe it's had an engine change, I can only assume it's an AWX as that's what's it states on the body plate near the bulkhead