1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Timing belt replacement. How often?

Starflex Aug 29, 2020

1. Mikeso51

Mikeso51 Registered User

This topic crops up fairly regularly, and because of contradictory statements from Audi (Uk) and Audi (the manufacturer) opinions always differ.

My own car has the EA211 1.4tfsi engine, and it’s interesting to read what VAG said regarding cam belts when they introduced this engine back in 2012.

One example from a release on the official VW site:

“Take the example of overhead camshafts (DOHC): the camshafts are not driven by chain here, rather by a single-stage, low-friction toothed belt design with a 20 mm wide belt and load-reducing profiled belt wheels. Thanks to its high-end material specification, this toothed belt's service life reliably spans the entire life of the vehicle.”

This is entirely consistent with the recommendation given by Audi (and VAG) Germany, i.e. no time limit and 133k mileage limit.

So one might reasonably ask where Audi(UK) gets a 5 year belt change interval from. from? As far as I am aware they have never provided any credible technical justification. I do however recall that when they were pressed very hard on this a while back by a forum member they reluctantly backtracked and said that a belt change at 5 years was not mandatory. It was acceptable, they said, to simply check the belt condition after 5 years (and annually thereafter), and only change it if necessary. Despite this their printed information is ambiguous, stating “check and change”.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

To me, your post only backs up the theory that U.K. garage franchises and their ruling entity ( VW U.K., Audi U.K. etc etc...) are stating dates for cambelt changes way ahead of their European counterparts.

4. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Modern cam/drive belts (strengthened with things like kevlar) rarely snap - it's usually something else on the circuit that fails. Dayco (for example) say "inspect at 60,000 miles and replace at 90,000 miles"