Timing Belt questions

Nathan89

Reaction score
Hi everyone my timing belt is due for replacement in 2 months.

My car is 2011 A6 Avant C7 chassis 2.0 TDI 177 BHP.

I rang Audi to get a price on timing belt kit and water pump (Just parts - not fitted) and it came out at just under £350 inc VAT.
I also looked on euro car parts and can get a dayco timing belt kit for £170 and a Circoli Water Pump for £53.
Total price £223 all in but at the minute they have 45% off making the total £145 for both.

My question is are these manufacturers any good?
Or which manufacturer should I go for?
On euro car parts they have other manufacturers available.

Who manufacturers the timing belt and water pump for Audi?

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated thank you

My question is are these manufacturers any good?

when it comes to aftermarket parts, people can have differing views on certain brands.
dayco is an oem, they make parts for car companies (mainly american), so they are good. they are an american company though, i prefer to stick to german/european brands.

circoli imo is crap. ecp is the main seller of circoli parts, and you cant find any companies outside the uk selling them. also try finding any info on the parent company. i think its an ecp in house brand. would avoid.

Or which manufacturer should I go for?
ties in with the next question, but there isnt one company to rule them all. different companies have specialities, and many companies are owned by the same group so will use parts from each other. eg. ina, continental, fa.g, ruville are owned by schaeffler group. conti make rubber products, ina do pulleys/bearings, so an ina kit will likely come with a conti belt (maybe with the ina branding on it) and ina/fag tensioner and idler bearing.
also goes with the last question, people will have varied opinions.

do your own research, but for me companies to go for individual parts are ina, continental, mahle behr, skf, bosch, dayco. gates, hepu, graf, snr, ruville.
for whole kits, ina, continental, gates etc.
eg https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ina/7026492

Who manufacturers the timing belt and water pump for Audi?
they dont use one company. they will use a varied range of companies, which will change over time even for the same part, all based on the price they can obtain from that company. they will use the big brands listed above though, and i guarantee it wont be circoli for the pump.
just did a waterpump, aux belt and idler bearing on my car a week or so ago. original factory belt was bando japan, idler bearing was gates. couldnt see who the oem for the pump was.
replaced with continental belt, mahle pump, ina bearing.

waffled on a bit now, but as you might start to see, aftermarket parts can be a minefield.
i would go for a tier 1 oem company eg. ina, gates, etc. or just go to audi (who will use a combination of the above companies, eg. conti belt, gates pump etc)

Reactions: Nathan89
when it comes to aftermarket parts, people can have differing views on certain brands.
dayco is an oem, they make parts for car companies (mainly american), so they are good. they are an american company though, i prefer to stick to german/european brands.

circoli imo is ****. ecp is the main seller of circoli parts, and you cant find any companies outside the uk selling them. also try finding any info on the parent company. i think its an ecp in house brand. would avoid.

ties in with the next question, but there isnt one company to rule them all. different companies have specialities, and many companies are owned by the same group so will use parts from each other. eg. ina, continental, fa.g, ruville are owned by schaeffler group. conti make rubber products, ina do pulleys/bearings, so an ina kit will likely come with a conti belt (maybe with the ina branding on it) and ina/fag tensioner and idler bearing.
also goes with the last question, people will have varied opinions.

do your own research, but for me companies to go for individual parts are ina, continental, mahle behr, skf, bosch, dayco. gates, hepu, graf, snr, ruville.
for whole kits, ina, continental, gates etc.
eg https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ina/7026492

they dont use one company. they will use a varied range of companies, which will change over time even for the same part, all based on the price they can obtain from that company. they will use the big brands listed above though, and i guarantee it wont be circoli for the pump.
just did a waterpump, aux belt and idler bearing on my car a week or so ago. original factory belt was bando japan, idler bearing was gates. couldnt see who the oem for the pump was.
replaced with continental belt, mahle pump, ina bearing.

waffled on a bit now, but as you might start to see, aftermarket parts can be a minefield.
i would go for a tier 1 oem company eg. ina, gates, etc. or just go to audi (who will use a combination of the above companies, eg. conti belt, gates pump etc)
Brilliant information thank you I feel better educated now to go and look at purchasing a timing belt kit.
Thank you