Timing Belt Done or Not

stevewr1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Picked up my A6 C6 2.0Tdi recently with 180k miles on the clock. Book stamped & belt cover stamped that the timing belt was completed at 154k miles. Previous owner can't be sure though because he didn't do it and has put up 26k miles on her and I've recently viewed the belt after purchasing the car and maybe im wrong but it looks quite used...

For those with mechanical experience is this a belt with 26k miles or does it look a lot older??
Thanks in advance

https://imgur.com/gallery/hww9rPO

Last edited:
I'm no expert but it does look a bit tired to me.
Do you know how long previous owner had it for? If he hasn't done it and owned the car for 4-5 years, despite he's low milage, get it done.

Mine was done with first owner @ 75k but I bought it 5 years ago and need to do it this year, with 110k miles on.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: stevewr1
That looks fine to me.

What does the service book say. With those miles the car should have had at least 2 done.

That looks fine to me.

What does the service book say. With those miles the car should have had at least 2 done.

Cheers, yeah the service book is indie stamped and ticked toothed belt for the second change @ 154,163m. The first belt change was done by the Audi Dealer @ 77,031m.

So my thinking is if the second belt wasn't actually changed and just scribbled into an existing service stamp she would be 181,000 - 77,031 = 104,168 so 25,000 miles overdue.

Are those horizontal markings on the current belt normal? If it wasn't done id assume the belt or waterpump would have failed long ago?

Last edited:
According to me this belt does not look good and does not look likw new. Also it is not tighten any more and that is happening after high millage or it was nor set up on begining. On this picture of the tensioner roller:

fef7b0dd695ac9f37a67f32caffb9707.jpg

This marker in circle mist be in the gap that I marked or even further forward but not over metal field.

To be on sure side, change it, change also all rollers, tensioner roller, water pump, auxiliary belt with roller and tensioner, alternator pulley and that will be good time to change the thermostat with collant.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

According to me this belt does not look good and does not look likw new. Also it is not tighten any more and that is happening after high millage or it was nor set up on begining. On this picture of the tensioner roller:

fef7b0dd695ac9f37a67f32caffb9707.jpg

This marker in circle mist be in the gap that I marked or even further forward but not over metal field.

To be on sure side, change it, change also all rollers, tensioner roller, water pump, auxiliary belt with roller and tensioner, alternator pulley and that will be good time to change the thermostat with collant.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks "Novica" very informative. I wasn't aware of this marker on the tensioner, I think it's definitely due a change so...will be peace of mind getting it done with full kit. Thanks again mate

BRE , issue with the 77mm oil pump drive and balancer shaft keyway .

BRE , issue with the 77mm oil pump drive and balancer shaft keyway .

BRE yes, car is of little value so I'm not too concerned. Have seen loads of high mileage 2006 and later BRE's up to 300,000 miles or more without oil pump failure so ill take my chances! Cheers anyway mate!