Timing Belt Change

Dave982

Reaction score
Hi all
New to the forum today and I joined to pick everyone's brains :0)
Bought my first Audi, a 99' A3 1.8T Sport with the 150bhp AGU engine.
I need to change the timing belt which I'll tackle myself, but does anyone know if you need to "lock" the cam somehow? Once it's timed and the belt loosened for removal will the cam or bottom end pulley rotate or stay put?

thanks in advance for any help...
Dave

Not actually possible to lock the cam or crank, just use the timing marks on the cam cover and mark the bottom pulley when the belt is in and cam lines up as the only timing mark for the bottom is on the lower belt cover...

And no, it is not a floating crank unlike you average french *****, so nothing to worry about there... Good luck!

Double check timing marks before pulling the pin on the tensioner damper... the cam pulley has a habit of moving back a tooth which will give you an incorrect correlation fault code...

Engine is not interference so it won't damage anything but means you will have to take the belt off and re-compress the tensioner damper to refit properly

When doing the timing belt you are advised to replace the water pump and the tensioner damper (if not in the kit)

<tuffty/>

Ok thanks Tuffy.
I've got the water pump, with the brass impeller.. and the timing kit is a Continental set and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
I know it has the tensioner bearing etc but I'll make sure before I try and fit it all.

Conti cambelt v2

Comes with: Quantity of Teeth 150 Belt Width in mm 23 [>]with tensioner pulley damper [Kit contains 2 Rollers/Tensioners] Weight [g], kg[>]1,385

tensioner dampers are known to fail after a belt change so needs to be swapped at the same time... not all kits come with them.. metal impeller pumps aren't all that... all the ones I have seen leak through the shaft after a few thousand miles... plastic impeller pumps (OE ones at least) are fine... the issues mostly come about from not changing them with the belt at the first change

<tuffty/>