Time to say goodbye

mfl

Reaction score
As I approach the 6 year point, its time part ways with the S3 and try a different brand of car . the VAG experience down-under ( plus 5 years with a GTI).has been a mix of good and bad. The recent expensive repairs and up yours attitude of Audi, made it time to say goodbye.

I've enjoyed this forum, and all the various posts, I would like to especially thank some of the long time members , assyo06. Muttley 75, Snake Pliskin, Bristle Hound and pburv for their contributions to the forum.

As to what I'm going too, I was after something with a little bit more driver involvement, and budget constraints, so the choice is a Renault RS300 Trophy.
e48f9c5ccb85ee9d750ae6f9e21a3ab8.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 7 others
Congrats on the new car.

I considered one of these myself when they first came out (would have waited for the Trophy and not the 280 version) but several reviews didn't show the car in a good light. More with the RWS.

The big black slab of plastic for the information system looked a bit cheap, but I could live with that. Bucket seats look fantastic, and I'd have gone for midlife crisis Orange.

So stay on the Forum, and keep us informed of how you get one with it, and give us your thought on the handling, and the RWS system.

Reactions: pburv and N.J.H
I'll do that, I get the car on Friday, I've noticed on the UK reviews, that the Trophy, gets the Recaro seats, but our Oz versions, get the same seats as the RS280, but they are nice seats, yes get spoiled with the Audi standard of trim. But I will let you know how it goes, although we might just have wait for the travel restrictions to lift.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
up yours attitude of Audi, made it time to say goodbye.
Exactly why I'm not getting another one mate and I told the CEO of Audi UK why, after the first email to him he contacted my local dealership who apologized and said they'd make it right...they didn't, so off went another email :)

Congratulations on the new car mate, it looks nice in white and will be easy to look after and it's subtle! Any options added?
I looked at the RS after seeing a GT version at the lights which looked nice and there were some good deals to be had, plus they now come with a 5 year warranty. Have you checked your insurance price yet? I found it to be low for the type of car it is. For me it was just bad timing as I need to order asap and the facelift Megane/RS doesn't come out until mid summer. They are doing away with the standard 280 RS and the option of adding the cup chassis, instead they are just going to be the doing the two cars standard/trophy and both will have the same power. I think it will be a good car to own long term, rumour is it will be the last RS, so prices should hold up well long term!

The big black slab of plastic for the information system looked a bit cheap, but I could live with that.
I thought that when I saw the pictures, but in the flesh it doesn't look as bad, looks better if you go for the bigger centre screen as well. You've also got to think that it's a cheaper car so you have to compromise somewhere! I'm doing exactly that with my next car. Gone from S3 - A5 coupe - to a Fiesta ST3, list price is well over £10k less so can't expect the same quality. I think a lot on here have had it with Audi and their take it or leave it attitude, not to mention their high service prices. There are a lot of cars out there for a lot less money and with better warranties. Audi need to wake up and try to keep hold of their customers. I saw an A1 the other day advertised for £30,000 :wtf: you can get a lot more car for that money.

Reactions: pburv
That’s a cracking car your getting. I have to try one of these for a while, and one of these in Yellow or Orange would be a great experience. Enjoy and get the collection pictures posted :icon thumright:

We are a little different in Oz, this is a my2019, and the MY20 won't be available until the end of the year at least and it's only sold by order .. the only other is the RS280 sport, with the 205kw motor and they will be the only models for 2020.

At the moment you can get a Rs280 Sport or Cup or the Rs300 Trophy, the only option is a sunroof. Only 100 RS300 were imported into Oz, last year, so it was a case of finding a dealer who had one. This is the metallic white, which looks really nice, because it isn't the pearl white you see on the Japanese cars.

Reactions: pburv and S32B
As I approach the 6 year point, its time part ways with the S3 and try a different brand of car . the VAG experience down-under ( plus 5 years with a GTI).has been a mix of good and bad. The recent expensive repairs and up yours attitude of Audi, made it time to say goodbye.

I've enjoyed this forum, and all the various posts, I would like to especially thank some of the long time members , assyo06. Muttley 75, Snake Pliskin, Bristle Hound and pburv for their contributions to the forum.

As to what I'm going too, I was after something with a little bit more driver involvement, and budget constraints, so the choice is a Renault RS300 Trophy.

From the USA ............

Terry

Reactions: pburv, mfl, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
Congrats on the new car, hope you enjoy it to the max, :)

Reactions: pburv and mfl
That’s a cracking car your getting. I have to try one of these for a while, and one of these in Yellow or Orange would be a great experience. Enjoy and get the collection pictures posted :icon thumright:

Collection pictures as requested, in regards to insurance I was pleasantly surprised when I got a small refund, so a new RS300 is cheaper to insure than a 6 year old S3 (in Sydney , anyway) - first impressions , it's certainly a change , but I will post after I get a chance to actually go somewhere :)

Screen Shot 2020 05 16 at 82505 pm
Screen Shot 2020 05 16 at 82431 pm

Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 5 others
It certainly looks the part, I hope it provides you trouble free motoring.

Reactions: pburv and mfl
Collection pictures as requested, in regards to insurance I was pleasantly surprised when I got a small refund, so a new RS300 is cheaper to insure than a 6 year old S3 (in Sydney , anyway) - first impressions , it's certainly a change , but I will post after I get a chance to actually go somewhere :)

View attachment 203014 View attachment 203015
Looks sporty and subtle at the same time. Do you get the same 5yr warranty out there as you do here?

Looks sporty and subtle at the same time. Do you get the same 5yr warranty out there as you do here?
Yes, we get the 5 year warranty, 3 year roadside assist and 3 year fixed price servicing (12mths/20,000kms) - unlike Audi which still has 3 years warranty only

Yes, we get the 5 year warranty, 3 year roadside assist and 3 year fixed price servicing (12mths/20,000kms) - unlike Audi which still has 3 years warranty only
It's good piece of mind that 5 yr warranty...it will draw people away from Audi. Kia 7 yrs, Hyundai, Toyota, Renault all 5 yr!!! What sort of cost are the services compared to the Audi?

View attachment 203014 View attachment 203015
Beautiful. Really do look the part these RS Meganes. Enjoy :icon thumright:

Please put a follow up post on your thoughts on it once you get a few miles under your belt.

It's good piece of mind that 5 yr warranty...it will draw people away from Audi. Kia 7 yrs, Hyundai, Toyota, Renault all 5 yr!!! What sort of cost are the services compared to the Audi?

The 5 yrs is only for the RS Megane, the Koleos has a 7 year warranty. The fixed price services for the RS Megane is $799 for year 1/20k kms and $399 for the 2nd/40k km and 3rd/60k year service. Apparently the EDC oil ( their version of the DSG) is changed at the 1st service, rather than at the 5 year mark, like the S3.

As for Audi servicing, the S3 is $1,850 - 3 yr and $2390 - 5yr

Screen Shot 2020 05 17 at 114238 am

After 2000kms in the Trophy, thought I would give an update. It is a drivers car, and brings quite a few smiles when you start the motor, and the exhaust crackles and pops. Find a series of corners and the difference between the Trophy and the S3 become very clear. Where as the S3 would lean on its outside wheel when pushed the Trophy turns in and encourages you go harder, all the while accompanied by the pops and crackles from the exhaust. I don’t miss the S3’s rebound on some country roads that made me think about to be bounced into the trees.

The Trophy does have less power than my old S3 (stage 1) and you can notice the difference off the line, the Trophy is a second slower to 100km/h and maximum torque, starts at 2300rpm, so you need to get revs up and then you can tell it has 300bhp. It does have some torque steer and when the road is wet you need to be careful accelerating off the line, as the wheels spin easily. None of that ever was ever an issue in S3. the ability of the S3 to go fast in the wet, was always impressive At highway speeds the Trophy feels more firmly planted on the road than the S3, although it has a bit more wind noise.

The black interior with the Alcantara seating, faux carbon fibre trims, led trim highlights, 8.75” centre touch screen and digital dash, makes the interior look special. The S3 is still slightly better quality , but is also $15k more expensive.

In terms of tech the Android auto works fine, the Bose sound system sounds good, most of the controls for AC and the audio does require you scrolls through menus on the touch screen. not as intuitive as the knobs in the S3, but you quickly get the hang of it. Also my S3 was a MY15, so I know the latest S3 has a the full TFT screen and so on.

I always thought that S3 should have looked more than just an S-line with 4 exhausts, at least with the Trophy, you don’t think its a GT Megane, with nice wheels.

The Trophy suspension is stiff and I can understand some may consider it too stiff, but as I will doing track days, I wanted the mechanical front LSD and the 300bhp motor. I believe the 2021 RS Megane, will all have the 300hp motor, so you can have the less stiff Sport chassis, rather than the Cup chassis.

The S3 was fast, looked good , effortless performance, efficient, but never engaging. The Trophy looks like a hot hatch, its engaging to drive and the start up crackle from the exhaust, lets all the neighbour know you are leaving and is something I won’t tire off.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Chris4410, S32B and 5 others

Wow! mate. You've been here a while. Thanks for the kind words buddy:thumbs up:
It will be sad to see you go:bye:
That RS300 Looks great. I hope you have fun taking it to the max lol:racer:
Don't become a stranger on here.:friends:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
After 2000kms in the Trophy, thought I would give an update. It is a drivers car, and brings quite a few smiles when you start the motor, and the exhaust crackles and pops. Find a series of corners and the difference between the Trophy and the S3 become very clear. Where as the S3 would lean on its outside wheel when pushed the Trophy turns in and encourages you go harder, all the while accompanied by the pops and crackles from the exhaust. I don’t miss the S3’s rebound on some country roads that made me think about to be bounced into the trees.

The Trophy does have less power than my old S3 (stage 1) and you can notice the difference off the line, the Trophy is a second slower to 100km/h and maximum torque, starts at 2300rpm, so you need to get revs up and then you can tell it has 300bhp. It does have some torque steer and when the road is wet you need to be careful accelerating off the line, as the wheels spin easily. None of that ever was ever an issue in S3. the ability of the S3 to go fast in the wet, was always impressive At highway speeds the Trophy feels more firmly planted on the road than the S3, although it has a bit more wind noise.

The black interior with the Alcantara seating, faux carbon fibre trims, led trim highlights, 8.75” centre touch screen and digital dash, makes the interior look special. The S3 is still slightly better quality , but is also $15k more expensive.

In terms of tech the Android auto works fine, the Bose sound system sounds good, most of the controls for AC and the audio does require you scrolls through menus on the touch screen. not as intuitive as the knobs in the S3, but you quickly get the hang of it. Also my S3 was a MY15, so I know the latest S3 has a the full TFT screen and so on.

I always thought that S3 should have looked more than just an S-line with 4 exhausts, at least with the Trophy, you don’t think its a GT Megane, with nice wheels.

The Trophy suspension is stiff and I can understand some may consider it too stiff, but as I will doing track days, I wanted the mechanical front LSD and the 300bhp motor. I believe the 2021 RS Megane, will all have the 300hp motor, so you can have the less stiff Sport chassis, rather than the Cup chassis.

The S3 was fast, looked good , effortless performance, efficient, but never engaging. The Trophy looks like a hot hatch, its engaging to drive and the start up crackle from the exhaust, lets all the neighbour know you are leaving and is something I won’t tire off.
Great write up mate.
I can see now why you went for it:respekt:
https://www.renaultsport.com/-megane-rs-trophy-r-300-2019-.html

Reactions: Jcbmally, Chris4410 and Snake Pliskin
I love the S3 for what it is - fast effortless performance, but you are so right with your review. Ever since my 205 GTi days I’ve never had a hatch that is quite as much fun and I have a big soft spot for the French ones in particular. Yours looks the absolute dogs danglies! Love the wheels.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Snake Pliskin

Car looks terrific :icon thumright:

I think you’ve made a superb choice & a true drivers car that is very engaging. It looks stunning too & very purposeful.

A great write up and a lot of the positives you note I’d say are reflected in my current car. The feeling of being more focussed, slightly more hard core, slick suspension & handling etc .... it truly does make a difference to the driving experience doesn’t it and as you note smile inducing every time you drive the car and it feels ‘special’.

It sounds like you are really enjoying this car and rightly so ... enjoy it mate :yes:

Very similar thoughts to myself on the S3, it did everything very well but it just didn't (for me anyway) make you want to just go for a drive in it.

I would also echo your thoughts on the looks as well, Audi definitely didn't put enough effort in to making stand above an Sline.

I ended up in the GTI TCR through some circumstances beyond my control, but it definitely doesn't look like anything other than a GTI TCR and it is just engineered to be fun to drive.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Wow! mate. You've been here a while. Thanks for the kind words buddy:thumbs up:
It will be sad to see you go:bye:
That RS300 Looks great. I hope you have fun taking it to the max lol:racer:
Don't become a stranger on here.:friends:

Thanks for nice words, - my first track day will be on the 4th September, so looking forward to it. It's being held on the full Eastern Creek Circuit, in Sydney, which includes quite a mixture of fast and slow corners, the S3 never liked the tight corners, so it will be fun to see how it goes.
I can't help not coming back to see what's happening every now and again- old habits die hard :laughing:

Car looks terrific :icon thumright:
A great write up and a lot of the positives you note I’d say are reflected in my current car. The feeling of being more focussed, slightly more hard core, slick suspension & handling etc .... it truly does make a difference to the driving experience doesn’t it and as you note smile inducing every time you drive the car and it feels ‘special’.

Nice choice of car too, I really like the A45, but Oz prices means its outside my current budget.

I did briefly consider a Golf R or GTI, but after all the mechanical issues with the S3 and my old GTI and a 3 year warranty - I just couldn't go there

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and pburv
Mfl, Couldn't agree more about prices in Aust. It's a shame you had bad experiece with Audi, we only had good dealings and no issues in 5 years in 2 S3. I did have issues in my Mk7R with both haldex pump and water pump both failing outside of warranty.

The VW now come with 5 year warranty and great pricing now. Many getting fully optioned 7.5R for $54K drive away. We have moved on from Audi too and now have new M135i which is improvemnt in many ways over the S3 in my opinion.

I still have my Mk7R stage 2 and just added eibach springs and new MP4s tyres and I'm still loving car but only because of all the mods.

Reactions: mfl