Time to say good bye ( to the a3 saloon )

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Morning everyone.

The time has come to move on from my a3 saloon, it’s been a fantastic car for the 2 years I’ve owned it and very quick for a tdi 150. I’ve had nothing but people saying how nice it is etc when taking it for servicing etc as you don’t see many around my neck of the woods, think there’s 4 in my area but only 2 s line models.

It’s not all bad news as im stopping in a Audi, a 2016 (66) a4 advant s line in Daytona gray

I will obviously still pop into the a3 8v forum to offer advice where I can etc and hopefully once the kids grow up a little I can come back in a s3 or rs3

Couple of pics of the new car

81D17C49 6793 4BA7 93A6 6B46E3F081B0
1241B128 AC1C 4D7A 8AAD 4A168BC2FE02
C376D0F6 97BA 4EA0 919A F4CEEA6EAA29

Reactions: TonkS3, Jcbmally, RossN14 and 8 others
Good looking A4 that, how comes the change to the Avant? Practicality reasons I assume

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Good looking A4 that, how comes the change to the Avant? Practicality reasons I assume

Yea, the a3 is too small. We have 2 kids under 2 and a half. We have a double buggy and the older one has hyper mobility so he’s limited to walking distance before his knees start acting up and we have to take the wheels off the buggy to get it in. And even then it only just fits, if we go somewhere we can never buy something and bring it home as it just won’t fit with the buggy in we have to go drop that off first then go back up with out it

Plus we’re wanting to take the kids to a haven holiday and it just wouldn’t work. There’s no way we would fit a buggy and a weeks clothing for 2 adults and 2 messy kids

I got a reasonable amount for mine. 10495, new car was 18350 or something like that. Plus it’s a 187bhp most powerful car I’ve owned so far

Reactions: KenL, Audi Bairn, Adam14 and 2 others
Good choice of motor the B9 Avant.

I know how you feel mate, I have 3 kids and the boot is too small for a large family. We struggle with a couple of suitcases so can't even take it to the airport when going on holiday.

I'm currently looking at B9 Avants as well.

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
Congrats mate . Cracking looking A4 and I love Daytona grey. Shame your leaving the A3 forum , sure you'll be in the detailing forum though ...... Just got that feeling

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Sorry to see you go but it’s only to another Audi model so that’s good :thumbs up:

Totally understand your reasoning too.

Congrats mate . Cracking looking A4 and I love Daytona grey. Shame your leaving the A3 forum , sure you'll be in the detailing forum though ...... Just got that feeling

Definitely, in fact my angelwax vision and h2go arrived today. So tested it on the house windows and I have to say rain x seems to run off better. But that is on a house window so maybe the air going over the car etc will help the h2go bead the water away.

The vison cleaned the windows with ease. So hopefully that will cure future smearing issues

Sorry to see you go but it’s only to another Audi model so that’s good :thumbs up:

Totally understand your reasoning too.

Be sad to see it to go, but have to think of the positives that come with the new car.

I’m sure I’ll be back here one day though as the a3 saloons are a lovely looking car, I’ve had nothing but positive comments on my car and it isn’t even a high spec.

Reactions: davc and Audi Bairn
Good luck buddy, nice looking motor you're stepping into.
My S3 is still OK as the main family car for my 2 girls (7 and 3) although it's a struggle fitting in their bikes now that the good weather is hopefully arriving.
I'm actually in Rhodes at the moment, managed to get 2 medium suitcases, a couple of Trunkis, a hand luggage case and a buggy (between the two car seats in the back) as well as the 4 of us to the airport car park! I was a bit worried it was too much of a squeeze but managed it :) but yeah a bigger motor would come in handy, maybe an S4 Avant (if that even exists?) As the next car?

My S3 is still OK as the main family car for my 2 girls (7 and 3) although it's a struggle fitting in their bikes now that the good weather is hopefully arriving.
I'm actually in Rhodes at the moment, managed to get 2 medium suitcases, a couple of Trunkis, a hand luggage case and a buggy (between the two car seats in the back) as well as the 4 of us to the airport car park! I was a bit worried it was too much of a squeeze but managed it :) but yeah a bigger motor would come in handy, maybe an S4 Avant (if that even exists?) As the next car?
S4 comes in saloon and Avant form

We managed a couple years ago with cases etc but our son has hyper mobility so cannot walk grate distances at the moment so we have a double buggy. Fits fine but we have to take the wheels off otherwise when we shut the boot it bends the boot slightly. Plus it isn’t fun getting the wheels off when it’s pouring with rain, and if we decide to go shopping when we’re out we have to drop the buggy off then head to Asda etc as not much shopping fits in with the buggy. If they were older I think we would be fine as they can get in and out them selfs but at the moment it isn’t possible. So hopefully in 2-3 years I’ll be back in a s3 or something as there one of the best looking saloons on the road, doesn’t matter what angle you look from it’s a really smart car, I’ll miss it and if I’m honest I also prefer the interior or the a3 over the a4 maybe it will grow on me although the stuck on screen won’t but I guess that what most them are like now

Also for being a s line the ride is really nice no thuds etc even going over bumps. Zero rattles etc it’s a absoulty fantastic little car. So I will be back. 300hp in a car like that will be amazing. Just need the little ones to grow up a little first

Thanks

Yeah my older one has hyper mobility too but sounds like it's much milder than your kid's as she can walk quite a while, just has orthotics in her shoes and sometimes gets pains in her knees at night which means we've got plenty of Calpol knocking about!
I know what you mean about the pram, I had an Uppababy Vista which is quite big when folded and we had to take one wheel out to fit it in our Mini Countryman which was a pain.
Hope to see you back here soon, unless I have a third kid in which case I may not be here either lol. Maybe we'll meet in the S4 forum haha

Yeah my older one has hyper mobility too but sounds like it's much milder than your kid's as she can walk quite a while, just has orthotics in her shoes and sometimes gets pains in her knees at night which means we've got plenty of Calpol knocking about!
I know what you mean about the pram, I had an Uppababy Vista which is quite big when folded and we had to take one wheel out to fit it in our Mini Countryman which was a pain.
Hope to see you back here soon, unless I have a third kid in which case I may not be here either lol. Maybe we'll meet in the S4 forum haha

I’d love a s4 avant but I do honestly like the a3 interior over the a4 but I’ve seen photos of the new models and it’s too like the A1, and the interior is a upgrade for some but I don’t like all this touch screen stuff ( finger print night mare ) maybe I will come to like it and might be in the s version of that if they stick to petrol as I know there’s talks of the higher models going to diesel

I’d love a s4 avant but I do honestly like the a3 interior over the a4 but I’ve seen photos of the new models and it’s too like the A1, and the interior is a upgrade for some but I don’t like all this touch screen stuff ( finger print night mare ) maybe I will come to like it and might be in the s version of that if they stick to petrol as I know there’s talks of the higher models going to diesel
S5, S6 and S7 are already confirmed diesels...boooo

Shame

Edit. Just read about it. 700nm torque. That will pull you along nicely along with the 342bhp

Last edited:

It does seam an odd choice seeing how so much of Europe are Anti diesel these days.

But maybe the S5, 6 & 7 are more company cars than something a private buyer would consider. If so, then maybe having Diesels will increase sales overall. Shame about the S5 though. Always had a soft spot for that car, thought it's a big barge and not very sporty.

First incarnation on the S5, V8 petrol and a manual gearbox had me really wanting one.

Reactions: Adam14
It does seam an odd choice seeing how so much of Europe are Anti diesel these days.

But maybe the S5, 6 & 7 are more company cars than something a private buyer would consider. If so, then maybe having Diesels will increase sales overall. Shame about the S5 though. Always had a soft spot for that car, thought it's a big barge and not very sporty.

First incarnation on the S5, V8 petrol and a manual gearbox had me really wanting one.
Very true, my S5 is essentially used as my "company car" does feel a lot larger than the S3 but still a lot of fun down country roads with the active quattro system over the haldex in the S3.

well Dropped kid off at nursery. Went to get a prescription and someone kindly hit my a3 with there door. After a quick look didn’t see any damage but once I got up to Audi dealer looking at the right angle I could see a nice dent that wasn’t there before. Luckily salesman didn’t care less as I was honest as I wouldn’t wanna buy a car like that, he just went well get it pulled out anyways.

After a hour signing stuff and transferring stuff across from old to new car I’m now the slightly sad owner of a A4 Avant s line but I’m sure it will grow me on

The ride is much softer then the a3, maybe the suspension just isn’t as harsh or it hasn’t got the sport suspension, it’s silky smooth really quiet inside unlike the saloon that had a lot of road noise, the steering is fantastic ( I’ll be changing the round steering wheel at some point to the flat bottom one as I miss that already )

I was gutted to see the salesman drive my car away as it’s the first car I’ve spent 8k plus on and spend a lot of time looking for the right one, I even traveled 200 miles to pick it up and it’s by far one of the best looking cars on the road it doesn’t matter what angle you look from it always made me smile ( sad, I know ) but as said earlier I’ve had nothing but people say it’s a fantastic looking car

I will still pop in and offer any advice I can on this forum maybe not as often but hopefully once or twice a week

Here’s a couple photos of the new car.

Thanks

95A5769B B6C7 4E75 ACDB DC3ADA2E1FEE

35FDFCC7 2D33 4714 A42A 2D9233804E90

7C76E5FE FEFF 4A37 AB9B 86DE3ADD35AA

Reactions: oli356, AlS3BE, Scotty75 and 2 others
well Dropped kid off at nursery. Went to get a prescription and someone kindly hit my a3 with there door. After a quick look didn’t see any damage but once I got up to Audi dealer looking at the right angle I could see a nice dent that wasn’t there before. Luckily salesman didn’t care less as I was honest as I wouldn’t wanna buy a car like that, he just went well get it pulled out anyways.

After a hour signing stuff and transferring stuff across from old to new car I’m now the slightly sad owner of a A4 Avant s line but I’m sure it will grow me on

The ride is much softer then the a3, maybe the suspension just isn’t as harsh or it hasn’t got the sport suspension, it’s silky smooth really quiet inside unlike the saloon that had a lot of road noise, the steering is fantastic ( I’ll be changing the round steering wheel at some point to the flat bottom one as I miss that already )

I was gutted to see the salesman drive my car away as it’s the first car I’ve spent 8k plus on and spend a lot of time looking for the right one, I even traveled 200 miles to pick it up and it’s by far one of the best looking cars on the road it doesn’t matter what angle you look from it always made me smile ( sad, I know ) but as said earlier I’ve had nothing but people say it’s a fantastic looking car

I will still pop in and offer any advice I can on this forum maybe not as often but hopefully once or twice a week

Here’s a couple photos of the new car.

Thanks

View attachment 180828

View attachment 180829

View attachment 180830
@Toonsoldier91 - Great looking A4 Avant. Congrats !
Any shots of the interior ?

+1 great looking car. Surprised you've got a softer ride , it being s-line. You'll get used to it though . All grown up now eh ! My missus keeps mentioning S4 / RS4 both really great cars but I just can't imagine changing the A3 for anything other than S3 / RS3. As you say , they look good from all angles.

I’ll get one soon and upload it

+1 great looking car. Surprised you've got a softer ride , it being s-line. You'll get used to it though . All grown up now eh ! My missus keeps mentioning S4 / RS4 both really great cars but I just can't imagine changing the A3 for anything other than S3 / RS3. As you say , they look good from all angles.

Don’t get me wrong the A4 Avant is a lovely looking car. But the interior alone doesn’t feel as good as the a3, too much silver!!

I’ll give it 2 years and I’ll be in something else. I get bored very easily. As asoon as I can upgrade to someone else I will, but with a zero deposit next time

Reactions: Scotty75
A lot more room than the A3. I bet that throws you a bit . Still tis a nice looking interior .

Yeah I feel lost in it kids have more room, the double buggy just fits but it does fit ( with wheels on ) and plenty of room to put anything we buy when we’re out and about

Reactions: Scotty75
@Toonsoldier91 picked a superb colour!

Car great also..I think you will love it!

Reactions: Scotty75 and Toonsoldier91
+1 to that . Cracking colour