Time to change the front wipers...........Judder is terrible

Bu66er. I have been a bit behind on the forum and the bosch blades arrive tomorrow. Got a run up to the Lake District next week. Last thing I wanted was a motorway trip of judder. Actually at the moment the rear windscreen judder is worse than the front. Odd, Bosch blades have served me so well in the past, got another set for the Defender at the same time. Never spent so much money on something so dull. I love the car, but you can keep the cheese grater windscreen.

It’s been better since the ‘adjustment’ to the metal wiper arm.

I do feel a shorter blade on the drivers side would help too, it’s like the 26” blade is too long and the bottom of it causes the blade to ‘wiggle’

The biggest problem is finding a smaller blade that uses the new clip on fixings Audi now use on the 8Y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: itsbigyellow
It’s been better since the ‘adjustment’ to the metal wiper arm.

I do feel a shorter blade on the drivers side would help too, it’s like the 26” blade is too long and the bottom of it causes the blade to ‘wiggle’

The biggest problem is finding a smaller blade that uses the new clip on fixings Audi now use on the 8Y.

Well, they are all fitted now and of course there hasn't been a drop of rain :) Thinking about the 'adjustment', I had a look at it as I was fitting them and I agree with you in that there is less pressure on the bottom of the driver side wiper. So slightly adapting your theory I have flexed the tip of the wiper arm away from the bottom putting just a little more pressure on the bottom of the wiper blade.

Time will tell........

Reactions: 8YARWY and RS03???
Well, they are all fitted now and of course there hasn't been a drop of rain :) Thinking about the 'adjustment', I had a look at it as I was fitting them and I agree with you in that there is less pressure on the bottom of the driver side wiper. So slightly adapting your theory I have flexed the tip of the wiper arm away from the bottom putting just a little more pressure on the bottom of the wiper blade.

Time will tell........

I took the wiper off just now

Removed the end cap as I was going to shorten it by an inch, however at the end of the metal there are 2 slots punched into it, these are what the ends clip into to stop them falling off.

So whilst off I manipulated the spring steel so it applies more pressure at the bottom end, wiper in action seems less jerky now.

If it gives any more trouble I’m going to order the PIAA set and remove the rubber from them and insert into these.

Reactions: RS03??? and itsbigyellow
Also I've found it's more the back downwards stroke where the stutter / judder happens.

Right, so the new blades have been royally tested in the last 500 miles ! I am currently judder free, with the Bosch all round and flexing the tip of the drivers-side wiper arm away from the windscreen. Whether it lasts or not remains to be seen of course. It's definitely not the most winter friendly cars I have ever had though, even the rubbers on the door windows don't remove the condensation.......

Reactions: 8YARWY
Had a close look at the Audi wiper blades fitted to my car and visually verified against a set from Bosch A985S. Very similar indentations, markings on the end caps, the plastic attaching mechanism etc.. Only immediate observation I made was, the Audi fitted ones had made in Serbia while the set I purchased here had made in Belgium.
However, when the Car was new, the judder was there very slightly, the new ones no judder whatsoever from new.
Lets see if country of manufacture makes a difference in a few days time.
fyi: Also, while at it, I had a set of new PIAA blades for the 8V, removed the rubber and checked with the Audi's rubber and will not fit, as the stem from the PIAA cage is wider by good 1ish+ mm compared to the Bosch/Audi stem.