1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to change the brake pads - help appreciated

mz21 Jul 11, 2018

1. mz21

mz21 Member

I'm getting a yellow warning to change the brake pads everytime I start my 2016 PFL RS3. My question is, should I go oem audi pads or go aftermarket? My brakes make a lot of noise, so I'm not very happy with the original pads/brakes, but I would like to hear your opinions and feedback on this so I don't have problems in the future. My brakes are totally stock (wavy discs).

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Hal Adams

Hal Adams Active Member Team Nardo VCDS Map User Audi RS3 Black Edition

Do a search - there are loads of threads on this subject. It is down to Ferodo or Redstuff. I am in the Redstuff camp.

4. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

I’m on reds to,changed them within a week of getting my car. I do hear very positive things on the ferodo pads as I’m told the reds are next to useless if you are going to be doing any track days otherwise there fine for fast road use as they have been designed for.

5. mz21

mz21 Member

No brake squeal with the reds? Are they easy to install?

I did a search and Ferodo was about to release pads specially for the RS3, but I cannot find them for sale the internet.

6. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

Hi mate, no squeal from the reds from my point of view.

To fit after taking off the wheels get a punch tool and knockout the locking pins on the pads.
    Get some grips and prise out the pads, using your fingers push back the pistons, lube the sliding face of the new pads, slide in refit locking pins and new springs fit wheels pump the brake pedal a few times, then crack open a beer mate.
    I believe the new red stuff come complete with vw Audi plugs for the wear sensors so no more modding this part from the oem pads.

jimojameso and mz21 like this.
  7. mz21

mz21 Member

Thank you!

Will decide between redstuff and ferodo ds performance

DW81 likes this.
  8. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

I must say, if you go down the ferodo route tap T800 up on this as he as contacts for this pad with oem plug connectors fitted too.

mz21 likes this.
  9. ChRS3tian

ChRS3tian Team Popcorn Team Floret Silver Audi RS3 It's my birthday

mz21 likes this.
  10. mz21

mz21 Member

Will the redstuff pads come with wear sensors? So just plug and play?

11. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform

@mz21 Just spoke with peter @ RFT ltd who informs me they have a set of modified pads in stock........

So it would mean plug and play for you.

mz21 and DW81 like this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. mz21

mz21 Member

Ok perfect T-800, let me know how can I reach them please. I'm from Portugal so they would have to ship them.

14. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform

Please be aware they do not fit if you try to use the Shims supplied.

I used Würth anti-squeal spray so you may have to use Ceratec or similar.

[​IMG]

mz21 likes this.
  15. mz21

mz21 Member

They won't export the Ferodo pads because they are afraid they will get damaged during the shipping... I think my only option is to buy the redstuff pads, anyone knows if there come with the audi plugs for the wear sensors?

Thanks once again.

16. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

Yes mate, I purchased mine last September and the front ones come with the oem vw Audi plug sensor for the front pads, the rears don’t come with any sensor cables like the Audi ones have so you will need to cut the old sensor off the old pads, splice the two ends together with a solder joint and plug back in to not get any fault codes with the rear brakes.

17. mz21

mz21 Member

Can you please send me the link from where you bought them and right model?

18. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

mz21 likes this.
  19. mz21

mz21 Member

20. DW81

DW81 Well-Known Member

Yes mate if that’s the correct car details.

mz21 likes this.
  21. Marshy

Marshy Settled in Team Sepang Audi RS3

I fitted yellowstuff rear pads to my pfl in May this year and they came with the oem wear indicator plug fitted.
    When I asked the question I was informed that all their pads for the RS3 come with plug and play wear indicators fitted.

DW81 likes this.
  22. T-800

http://www.jdl-brakes.com/audi/audi-rs3-8v/brake-pads.html

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  23. Toshers

Toshers Member Team Nardo TFSI Owners Group Audi RS3

I'm not at home just now, hence the question...does anyone know if the FL RS3 uses standard hoses or braided lines to the calipers?

24. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Just standard rubber brake hoses