Time to bid farewell to my S3 saloon

BigBill

Reaction score
So after about 20 months of ownership, which is the longest I've kept a car for the last 12 years, it's time to change the S3 as it just doesn't suit my needs anymore.

I'm a registered rally marshal so I often go into forest tracks and its only a matter of time before I damage a wheel, tyre or the underside of the S3 so I need a bit more ground clearance. I also regularly take two cocker spaniel dogs in the car (more space needed) and I have some back problems and find getting in to, or especially getting out of, the S3 a bit tricky at times (more height required) which is all pointing toward a SUV type vehicle although I've never been a great fan of these. My partner stays about a 300 mile round trip away so I do a fair amount of road miles so also need something which also has decent road manners and is a bit more economical than the sub 30mpg trips in my S3.

So time to grow up (I'm in my mid 50's lol) and get something sensible and after a long search and discounting 2wd only vehicles, those that I just couldn't see myself in and the dealers that I contacted that I would never do business with, I finally purchased a BMW X1 Xdrive yesterday. It's a 190bhp, 8 speed auto version which was pre-registered a couple of weeks ago so has a very healthy discount over a new vehicle but maintains the full 3 year warranty (minus 2 weeks) and also has the same finance deal on offer as a new car @ 3.9% apr on a pcp. I was in the dealership for over 3 hours yesterday, partly trying to get a decent part-ex for the S3, but also trying to get my head to rule my heart (which doesn't happen often when I buy cars) and realise this was the way to go.

Although I haven't posted on here often I come on regularly to read the posts as there are so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable people on the forum and lots of varied points of view.
I've really enjoyed my time with the S3 which I would say is probably the best all round vehicle I've owned.

Reactions: HertS3, Chris4410, michael pash and 6 others
So after about 20 months of ownership, which is the longest I've kept a car for the last 12 years, it's time to change the S3 as it just doesn't suit my needs anymore.

I'm a registered rally marshal so I often go into forest tracks and its only a matter of time before I damage a wheel, tyre or the underside of the S3 so I need a bit more ground clearance. I also regularly take two cocker spaniel dogs in the car (more space needed) and I have some back problems and find getting in to, or especially getting out of, the S3 a bit tricky at times (more height required) which is all pointing toward a SUV type vehicle although I've never been a great fan of these. My partner stays about a 300 mile round trip away so I do a fair amount of road miles so also need something which also has decent road manners and is a bit more economical than the sub 30mpg trips in my S3.

So time to grow up (I'm in my mid 50's lol) and get something sensible and after a long search and discounting 2wd only vehicles, those that I just couldn't see myself in and the dealers that I contacted that I would never do business with, I finally purchased a BMW X1 Xdrive yesterday. It's a 190bhp, 8 speed auto version which was pre-registered a couple of weeks ago so has a very healthy discount over a new vehicle but maintains the full 3 year warranty (minus 2 weeks) and also has the same finance deal on offer as a new car @ 3.9% apr on a pcp. I was in the dealership for over 3 hours yesterday, partly trying to get a decent part-ex for the S3, but also trying to get my head to rule my heart (which doesn't happen often when I buy cars) and realise this was the way to go.

Although I haven't posted on here often I come on regularly to read the posts as there are so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable people on the forum and lots of varied points of view.
I've really enjoyed my time with the S3 which I would say is probably the best all round vehicle I've owned.

I was in 2 minds getting rid of my RS3 after being broke in but not having someone dictate my life. I ended up looking at an SQ5 to replace it but now my girlfriend wants it for her daily, surprised you never went for one yourself

Reactions: davc, NevMan and BigBill
The X1 is a great all rounder mate as is the engine bmw do make great engines
Enjoy

Reactions: BigBill
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the X1 once you've lived with it a while.
My next car might have to be an SUV type as my partner has a disability which makes the S3 increasingly difficult for her.
Any pictures yet and what is the spec like in comparison?

I really like the look of the X2, doesn’t look to have as much clearance as the 1 though.

Reactions: Daveotto
If you have a blue s3 with ban in the number I met you at the Scottish Rally last year( Chicane we had to stand at to marshal) and a couple of others I have a white VW Tiguan .
I did wonder if you were on the forum.

I was in 2 minds getting rid of my RS3 after being broke in but not having someone dictate my life. I ended up looking at an SQ5 to replace it but now my girlfriend wants it for her daily, surprised you never went for one yourself

I had considered a Q5, although a s-line rather than the SQ5 but just a bit big for my needs. Can't bring myself to like either the Q2 or Q3 hence the switch away from Audi

The X1 is a great all rounder mate as is the engine bmw do make great engines
Enjoy

Thanks for your re-assurance. I had a fairly lengthy test drive and although the salesman tried to take me on a variety of roads it was in Edinburgh so it was a bit limited. At least I know it's good in queuing traffic :grinning:
Also I had just come from an almost 3 hour drive in the S3 so I was trying hard not to directly compare them as obviously totally different cars with different strengths and weaknesses

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the X1 once you've lived with it a while.
My next car might have to be an SUV type as my partner has a disability which makes the S3 increasingly difficult for her.
Any pictures yet and what is the spec like in comparison?

I've went for fairly standard x-line spec which has everything on it that I need and is probably comparable to s-line spec on Audis.
My initial impression was how roomy it is inside both front and back and also headroom. Also how easy it is to get in and out of and I was surprised how much I liked the raised driving position. I have a couple of pictures that I'll try and post later.

I really like the look of the X2, doesn’t look to have as much clearance as the 1 though.

Yes, I would agree with that. Also found them to be very pricey with little or no discount as they are fairly new. Easily to get to over £40k by adding on a few extras

Yes, I would agree with that. Also found them to be very pricey with little or no discount as they are fairly new. Easily to get to over £40k by adding on a few extras
Very pricey aren’t they, doesn’t seem to be any good lease deals either. Enjoy the X1

If you have a blue s3 with ban in the number I met you at the Scottish Rally last year( Chicane we had to stand at to marshal) and a couple of others I have a white VW Tiguan .
I did wonder if you were on the forum.

Yes I remember it well along with the tentative drive out of Ae Forest :flushed:. I was sure I was going to get a couple of punctures that day.
I hope all is good with you. I've been to a few events this year so far - Snowman, Speyside and Leuchars - the next one planned being the Argyll in 3 weeks. Possibly catch up with you there.
I almost purchased a Tiguan last week, 67 plate with only 1005 miles, and that was my back up if the X1 didn't go ahead. It was a very close decision between the two of them

@BigBill good luck with the new car. :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and BigBill
Big Bill. Hi again I will be at the Argyll rally and may see you there.
I used to have a Vauxhall Vectra sri and I hated going through stages after rallies as it was so low , I changed to a Suzuki Grand Vitara (Yea I know ) 5 door then a seven seater version but my local garage were useless (although I bought it in Paisley and got it serviced there ) I had no choice but to go local when it broke and they said it was needing more spent on it than I wanted and ended up trading it in for a new Tiguan sport 6 years ago after getting a wad discount (Crikey I have never had a car so long before )but as I changed jobs last year I dont need a new car as I am lucky if I am doing 50 miles a week now , Great cars and great service from my local garage, Enough waffle got to go work .

Big Bill , Where are the photos ?Or are you out driving it a lot ?

Reactions: Jimbo10
I still come on here occasionally for my Audi 'fix' so thought I'd give a quick update -

My SUV adventure with the X1 didn't last very long, 8 months to be exact!! I just couldn't take to it at all. Although it was an ok car I found it boring with zero driving pleasure so I had a bit of a look around and after some man maths to try and minimise the cost I went for another BMW but this time the M140i Shadow Edition. I know that many don't like the shape but it's a real 'sleeper' that looks just like any other 1 series which suits me. With a 3litre, straight 6 engine, 340bhp RWD it certainly adds a bit of drama and challenge to the driving experience :flushed:. Almost identical performance figures to the S3 (but it will need to be dry to achieve!) so it will be interesting to see how they compare but on engine sound alone the BMW wins hands down.
There is a new 1 series scheduled towards the end of the year which will be a 4 pot turbo with FWD/4WD so the current model will probably be the last big engine, RWD affordable hot hatch so that was a bit of an attraction as well and with this being a run out model there are some fantastic deals available with discounts of £10k being achievable bringing a well specked model to under £30k.
A couple of pics

M140i 3 M140i 2

Reactions: Goner, Pinky1959, Sandra and 2 others
I still come on here occasionally for my Audi 'fix' so thought I'd give a quick update -

My SUV adventure with the X1 didn't last very long, 8 months to be exact!! I just couldn't take to it at all. Although it was an ok car I found it boring with zero driving pleasure so I had a bit of a look around and after some man maths to try and minimise the cost I went for another BMW but this time the M140i Shadow Edition. I know that many don't like the shape but it's a real 'sleeper' that looks just like any other 1 series which suits me. With a 3litre, straight 6 engine, 340bhp RWD it certainly adds a bit of drama and challenge to the driving experience :flushed:. Almost identical performance figures to the S3 (but it will need to be dry to achieve!) so it will be interesting to see how they compare but on engine sound alone the BMW wins hands down.
There is a new 1 series scheduled towards the end of the year which will be a 4 pot turbo with FWD/4WD so the current model will probably be the last big engine, RWD affordable hot hatch so that was a bit of an attraction as well and with this being a run out model there are some fantastic deals available with discounts of £10k being achievable bringing a well specked model to under £30k.
A couple of pics

View attachment 177750 View attachment 177751
POWER is in your blood Bill lol. I've just turned 50 and I was always in "sensible" cars until I bought my first S3. I love the power when you need it and love the sedateness of the S3 when you need it. Before purchasing my first S3 I did look at the 140i but they could not get nowhere near the S3 quote. I agree with you regarding the 6 pot, sounds lovely, and it will be sadly missed (unless you get the M2). I've said it before mate, it's not a dress rehearsal as we are only hear once (unless they invent a time machine lol).
Lovely looking motor by the way :thumbs up:

Reactions: Sandra
Glad to hear you are ok and enjoying the BMW .are you still attending rallies ?if so may see you about somewhere .
Does the new car have the same registration as the s3 ?

Hi Pinky,
Yes car has the same reg.
I'm still attending rallies although not going tomorrow as I had to go to Edinburgh for a meeting yesterday and didn't fancy the journey again plus a bit more two days later. Having seen the forecast for the borders area tomorrow maybe a wise decision.
I was down to do the Snowman before it was cancelled and may go to Ingliston in a couple of weeks and definitely the Speyside in April. Not sure after that but considering the Isle of man in May. It would be good if the politicians got their act together and get the closed road bill passed so we get the Jim Clark and Mull back.

Reactions: Pinky1959