Time for new wheels & tyres - but what offset?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My 3.0TDi SE runs on 17 inch wheels with a ET45 offset. I have two sets of wheels, the OEM multi-spokes it came on (& which I'm not very keen on), see below:

30TDi

The other wheels are a set of RS6 reps I bought from Wheels Gateway a few years ago, although not for this car. They were for the B6 2.4SE I had before. The 3.0TDi is presently on the RS6 reps (see below)

, and the tyres are all scrubbed out on the shoulders, so I thought this was the ideal time to go for some new wheels & tyres together.

I'm going for 18s this time, and the style I fancy is the new-style RS4 wheel with 7 split spokes.

RS4 wheel
The only thing I need to decide is what offset to go for. The choices seem to be ET35, ET42 and ET45. As I said, both of the 17-inch sets have an ET45 offset, but I notice the RS6 reps in particular are very close to the huge front brake calipers. There's only about 3mm clearance.

I realise the 18 inch wheels should have more clearance anyway, but I don't know if the RS4 style spokes might be thicker, and could possible hit the brakes. Can anyone suggest what the best offset would be? Would ET35 stick out too far? Would ET45 clear the calipers?

If it's relevant, I don't have any plans to lower the car at all. I like the ride height as it is, as my 50-year old bones need the extra wheel travel and bump absorbtion.

Sorry for the tiny pics, I don't know why that happened, but if you click on them, they come up big.
Hoping for some early responses, as I was planning to order them tomorrow morning :beerchug:

Last edited:
My S-line Sp Ed came with those in ET42. If you can find someone local to you with one, you may be able to try their full-size spare. I would imagine they'll fit as there's a nominal 3mm more clearance than your originals. Tyre size on mine is 235/40 18, although I've tried 245s as well.

I've got ET33 (12mm spacers on ET45 rims) and I think they sit really nicely. I also heard that ET45 won't clear the calipers on the 3.0tdi due to the fact they are the same size as the S4 (not 100% sure if this is true mind).

However, if you buy ET45 wheels, you can always use spacers to adjust the resultant offset, but you can't make an ET35 wheel ET45. But then again if you're never going to put the wheels on another car maybe it isn't an issue.

ET35 is generally regarded as the best offset for the B7 (from what I've seen/heard), and in my case I like the extra 2mm! If you're not lowering the car you can stick with 240 or 245 tyres also.

Pic of mine on ET33 for reference (19" rims on 235/35/19 tyres): DSC_1182 [1280x768] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've ordered them today, with offset ET42. With a bit of luck, they'll be shipped today, and on the car tomorrow.

Pics to follow.

My S-line Sp Ed came with those in ET42. If you can find someone local to you with one, you may be able to try their full-size spare. I would imagine they'll fit as there's a nominal 3mm more clearance than your originals. Tyre size on mine is 235/40 18, although I've tried 245s as well.
Just an update:

Fitted the 245/40 R 18 on some ET45 wheels, and no issues whatsoever. In fact although the 40 profile remains constant, the extra 4mm of sidewall has made the car noticeably more comfortable. Could also be to do with having full tread, or the tyre costruction, but a worthwhile improvement. S line suspension wwas unmodified.

Jdp1962 - did you get these sorted? Interested to know where you purchased and pics?

Cheers

Jeff, what is the quality of there wheels like, do they last well. I have brand new 235 40 18 fitted to my rs6 alloys on my cab, I'm hoping I can put these tyres on the rs4 wheels.

Last edited:
Jeff, what is the quality of there wheels like, do they last well. I have brand new 235 40 18 fitted to my rs6 alloys on my cab, I'm hoping I can put these tyres on the rs4 wheels.

This is the second set I've had from them. Obviously, I can't comment on durability yet, but the wheels seem fine. The finish is a bit rough and ready close-up, but other that, I've no complaints, not at that price. The 5-spoke S-Line reps I had from them a couple of years ago have lasted very well indeed. The only degradation in their condition was from me kerbing them.

This is the second set I've had from them. Obviously, I can't comment on durability yet, but the wheels seem fine. The finish is a bit rough and ready close-up, but other that, I've no complaints, not at that price. The 5-spoke S-Line reps I had from them a couple of years ago have lasted very well indeed. The only degradation in their condition was from me kerbing them.

:thumbup:

Thanks, if I use my existing tires I can get a set for £350 which is a bargain, think I may have to get a set they are still the best looking wheel on an audi imo.