Time for a new key battery or something else?

L_G

Reaction score
This morning the car wouldn't start until I put the key on the marked bit under the arm rest.

Other threads suggest there should be a warning about low battery levels?

It’s not necessarily the battery. Sometimes the key becomes out of synch or has some interference recorded against it and needs checking against the pad.
It happened to me when I left the car running and went back to get something but had the key in my pocket. Car wasn’t happy but quickly solved.
I’ve had my car 2.5 years and fob still working fine so not a definite that it’s the battery on its way out.

Reactions: L_G
Thanks, that makes sense.

When I traded in my B8 A5 after almost 8 years it was still on the original batteries in the key fobs but that didn't have "advanced" key

Three years in and I'm on my second fob battery, there is a message that comes up in the dis when it's getting low. With modern fobs, especially with keyless entry, and much information about the car and settings stored within the fob, they don't last long...

This morning the car wouldn't start until I put the key on the marked bit under the arm rest.

lol how strange, got in my car yesterday and heard a bleeeep, message on the dash saying change the battery in key! Not even 2 years old yet!!!

You're lucky, mine went at just over a year, but then so did my partner's fob for her fiesta. Also has keyless entry....

The MMI (displayed on drivers screen on left) on startup should warn you of a low level key battery before it completely dies.

No warnings to date, I suspect the key has become out of synch.

Was told at my 2 year service that my battery was low - £10 to change or use one of batteries sitting at one - simples and £10 better off - so easy to change!

Is there a time limit in which the new battery needs to be in place, otherwise the settings, etc are lost?

Was told at my 2 year service that my battery was low - £10 to change or use one of batteries sitting at one - simples and £10 better off - so easy to change!

£10 to change the battery robbing gits....see below.

Is there a time limit in which the new battery needs to be in place, otherwise the settings, etc are lost?

Not sure mate, but easy enough to do yourself. You can buy 6 Energizer x CR2032 batteries from ebay for £2.89, I get six as other things I have use the same battery https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energize...369032&hash=item4b43dab279:g:L10AAOSwwAFa~a4R

(double check the battery in your key, but I'm sure it's those)

Both my keys have gone now (17 plate) Had to replace the battery on my main one the other day after finishing a wet football training session at 10pm and not being able to get into the car :sadlike: