Time for a change?

TQS

Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking of going for a sporty two seater.... just wondering what i should be expecting for my Audi.:think:

It's a 2002 model, 3 door, A3 1.8 quattro, gleaming black, 43k miles, AMD remap (234 bhp as per the graph), great condition, TT alloy wheels with nearly new Goodyear Eagle GSD3s.

Also has all the essential options - Bose, Xenons (must have!) and auto dip rear view mirror!

Prices on a similar-ish motor on autotrader range between 8k and 11k... but as mine is so sweet(!) i was thinking i should be aiming for the upper end???

Cheers for your input!

Next up boxter/cayman, z4? Does your car have leather seats?

Nope - no leather but it does have the stylish cloth seats (not the chequered ones!) - the interior's mint.

My thought process initially was to go for an S2000 - still pretty rare, rwd, convertible and pretty nippy - looking to spend around £14/15k for a nice one.... then i thought, as i live in central London, I'll be getting zapped by speed cameras left, right and centre before i get into the 'V' zone...
Then it was pointed out to me that for that sort of money, I could get a sweet Boxster 2.5, an OK 2.7 or an ageing 3.2S - my eyes lit up and my budget (loan) started to flex a few £k too!

I've pretty much discarded the S2k now i've been enlightened to the Porsche - i'm going to test drive a few at the weekend to see how noticeable the difference is between the 2.7 and the 3.2S...

However... for around my budget, I can also see a 350Z on the horizon...

Decisions decisions!

Having said all that, I still love my Audi so i'm not in any real hurry to change so I might bide my time and wait for the right one to come along

I'd get the remap turned off/flashed back to OE before i sold; it will put off more people than it attracts, If possible i'd do the same for any other mods, except the alloys if they genuinly enhance the looks and are genuine Audi items anyway.

No harm advertising at 11k. Bare in my mind your car is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay; so you need to establish the minimum you need to get to afford your desired car. Be prepared to lower your price to generate interest.

Please advertise in the trading post forum when you're ready to sell. I'm currently on the lookout for an A3 1.8T quattro.

cheers,
jbw

god_thats_quick said:
S2000 will be better than a 2.5 boxster in my opinion, the 3.2s on the other hand could be a chuckle!

I dissagree...
Myself, David R and several other 911 drivers (and a Cayman driver) went for a blast back in Fab, in the cold and wet...and at the fromt of the convoy setting the pace was an able wheelsman in a 2.5 Boxster.
Nobody passed him all day...

I have never come accross an S2000 I couldn't pass...

Makes you think doesn't it?
The chassis on the Boxster is sublime...the S2000 still very raw!

I ruled out the Lotus as it still has to be a little bit practical - another prerequisite is that it has to be able to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the boot!

TVR - are you crazy? :noway:
I really wanted a Z3M a few years ago - all that bhp would be sweet :busted_cop: :biggrin: ... they just seem a bit dated now IMO

As for getting the remap reversed... it just seems like such a waste!!!!:motz:

I'll be sure to whack it up on the Trading post as and when i take the plunge :crying:

Can't wait to get behind the wheel of the Boxster... may have to go for one with the Porsche Stability Management after being coccooned by the Quattro though :racer:

Now then, where can I fit in some more smilies?!

TQS said:
Can't wait to get behind the wheel of the Boxster... may have to go for one with the Porsche Stability Management after being coccooned by the Quattro though :racer:

Never had the opportunity to test the PSM of the Boxster...
But if it's as good as it is on the Carrera (no reason to think it won't be) it's stunning...it'll let you get the rear out under power, but catch it if you get it badly out of shape.
I have never turned mine off...and never felt it held me back. Brilliant.
The S3 ESP was off quite a lot...and hindered progress all too often.

Yeah - I'll se how it goes this weekend although I doubt I'll be able to be put the car through it's paces too much... I've a feeling that the PSM could become a must...

What do you think about tiptronic in a 3.2S a lot of the ones i've seen with the PSM have it - if it's reliable it could make for a different drive plus I wouldn't have to worry about a dodgy clutch!

TQS said:
really wanted a Z3M a few years ago ... they just seem a bit dated now IMO

see what your saying about the m-coupe they are pretty ugly as well as dated..
Im a huge porsche fan I love em and cant wait to get one of my own (one day)... but wont a sub 15k boxster be a bit tatty?

silver75 said:
but wont a sub 15k boxster be a bit tatty?

There's a few OK ones that have been v well looked after knocking about... having said that, i'm guessing that my budget will most probably flex upwards by a few k

:banghead:

Ess_Three said:
I dissagree...
Myself, David R and several other 911 drivers (and a Cayman driver) went for a blast back in Fab, in the cold and wet...and at the fromt of the convoy setting the pace was an able wheelsman in a 2.5 Boxster.
Nobody passed him all day...

I have never come accross an S2000 I couldn't pass...

Makes you think doesn't it?
The chassis on the Boxster is sublime...the S2000 still very raw!

Interesting, the only reason I mentioned it was in a straight line a bog standard 2.5 boxster couldn't pass me going up a hill (at 40+) and he was trying. He wanted to undertake me before getting to the car we were approaching rather fast which resulted in a bit of heavy breaking for him when he realised he couldn't make it and the S2000 I test drove "felt" quicker than my S3.

god_thats_quick said:
Interesting, the only reason I mentioned it was in a straight line a bog standard 2.5 boxster couldn't pass me going up a hill (at 40+) and he was trying. He wanted to undertake me before getting to the car we were approaching rather fast which resulted in a bit of heavy breaking for him when he realised he couldn't make it and the S2000 I test drove "felt" quicker than my S3.

I could bell believe a 2.5 Boxster couldn't pass you up a hill...they aren't that torquey.
What they have got though, is a chassis to die for...one the S3 just can't get close to...and brakes to match.
Point to point the Boxster is more involving, and enjoyable.
Sure, the 3.2 S is faster...and has higher limits and grip etc...but the 'bottom' model is great fun as you have just enough power and grip to make the chassis entertaining.

S2000s do feel fast...and are quick...all that noise and all those revs make them rapid on 9000RPM + everywhere driving...but for the 7/10ths stuff, they don't have the chassis the Boxster has...not as relaxing.

Good cars though the S2000...just a more raw proposition.

Me, my brother and my dad have had so many porsches now that we have had just about every boxster produced, So thought i'd give an opinion.

I would at the very least push for a 2.7! If you can get a well maintained 2.7 with all the stamps and sensible mileage then its always going to be the money you paid. The relative prices of porsches can vary greatly so buy wisely and enjoy bullet proof residuals, BUT!

DO NOT BUY A SLUSHMATIC - YES IM SHOUTING!
don't buy savanah interior (thats porsche speak for caramac colour) - remember most have the dash, steering wheel, carpet, headliner, door cards all in seat colour -:puke2:
Buy a safe colour, good condition, good mileage car with FPSH or reputable indy history.

Don't expect fast straight line pace though, thats not what they are about. Most hot hatches will at least stay with you on A-roads but to be honest when was the last time you got the chance to race anything?

Incidently, all the TVR's advertised seem to have v.low miles - wonder why that is???:eyebrows:
and could you really be proud of a car whose name has been derived from TREVOR??? well could you?

TBH i dont think you'll get anwhere near 11k for yours, but worth trying I suppose.

S2000 is a great car - my bro had one for 3 years and I tried a couple before I bought the S3 but they weren't for me. Excellent for blatting down B roads with that screaming engine, but they must be one of the worst cars for driving in London!

2.5 Boxster - if you haven't driven one then I suggest you do. Very underwhelming in terms of performance. I assume for this price you'll have to get one with the smaller wheels and orange indicators which look ****. Also, how many boxsters do you see driving round London! Go for the 3.2S if you must.

350Z - i'd get one of these! I wanted one before I bought the S3 but couldn't quite stretch to it. Prices have come down so you should be able to get a decent example.

Just sold my 350Z, excellent car, I will probably get another one next year. Just fancied a change, opted for a VXR220. Was going to get a VXT220 but found a limited edition VXR number 7 of 65 for a bargain price.

Hybrid turbo, lotus exige interior, lotus exige S2 suspension and a few other bits n bobs. I have no complaints! 0-60 in 4secs, will do 151mph. Good alernative to the Lotus. The VX220 is a far superior car.

And they are more rare!

So 350Z or VX220 I reckon :)

Pures3work said:
Just sold my 350Z, excellent car, I will probably get another one next year. Just fancied a change, opted for a VXR220. Was going to get a VXT220 but found a limited edition VXR number 7 of 65 for a bargain price.

Hybrid turbo, lotus exige interior, lotus exige S2 suspension and a few other bits n bobs. I have no complaints! 0-60 in 4secs, will do 151mph. Good alernative to the Lotus. The VX220 is a far superior car.

And they are more rare!

So 350Z or VX220 I reckon :)

Hmmm,

Porsche Boxster 2.5 - Gay image and relatively slow
Lotus Elise - 1 step up from an MGF!
Datsun - Nuff said!
Vauxhall - Cheaper Elise with vauxhall styling!
Trevor - Kitcar rubbish bathtubs!
S2000 - Best bang for buck here

This list sucks so far! Come on guys £16,000 - £20,000 there must be something better than these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSOUKA-VIEW...6QQihZ009QQcategoryZ18308QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

um... mx5? rx8?

EDIt MX5 bit of a girls car but could be a laugh

nervus said:
Hmmm,

Porsche Boxster 2.5 - Gay image and relatively slow
Lotus Elise - 1 step up from an MGF!
Datsun - Nuff said!
Vauxhall - Cheaper Elise with vauxhall styling!
Trevor - Kitcar rubbish bathtubs!
S2000 - Best bang for buck here

This list sucks so far! Come on guys £16,000 - £20,000 there must be something better than these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSOUKA-VIEWT-Nissan-Jaguar-Replica_W0QQitemZ190023537386QQihZ009QQcategoryZ18308QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking at the 3.2 S pretty much exclusively now.... you can get a sweet one for £20k !

Or maybe....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/92364.htm

Anyone want a race ?
:racer: