Time for a change

RYuill

Reaction score
So, as some of you may be aware, I had an RS3 on order but due to state of the oil industry I have had to cancel my order.

I still love the S3 however I fancy a change, so yesterday I put down a deposit to secure a build slot for the new VW Golf GTI Edition 40 (Clubsport). It should be available to order Feb/March time. They are saying there will only be 1500 allocated to the UK, with only 6 available from my local dealers. Looks like it will be a cracking car with only 10bhp (when using over post feature) less than the S3/golf R and designed with handling and fun in mind.

9db23e154592ce6c8023d3aa377a0aaa.jpg

aa475ee69b911f0ad3e76d2fef128b20.jpg

52419b36283e3a5519a5f01aa0a6cb41.jpg

ae2562171bcd05f263495968256d0250.jpg

c798264cad5667d1cd4772062700d8d9.jpg

Reactions: WarwickL, ruairi83, Rob2k68 and 3 others
Nice to see that dodgy tartan seat covering banished. What's the price compared to the R ?

Reactions: Brasso
Looks loverley mate,spot on,you might miss 4wd in this weather though!lol

Reactions: RYuill
So, as some of you may be aware, I had an RS3 on order but due to state of the oil industry I have had to cancel my order.

I still love the S3 however I fancy a change, so yesterday I put down a deposit to secure a build slot for the new VW Golf GTI Edition 40 (Clubsport). It should be available to order Feb/March time. They are saying there will only be 1500 allocated to the UK, with only 6 available from my local dealers. Looks like it will be a cracking car with only 10bhp (when using over post feature) less than the S3/golf R and designed with handling and fun in mind.

9db23e154592ce6c8023d3aa377a0aaa.jpg

aa475ee69b911f0ad3e76d2fef128b20.jpg

52419b36283e3a5519a5f01aa0a6cb41.jpg

ae2562171bcd05f263495968256d0250.jpg

c798264cad5667d1cd4772062700d8d9.jpg

Looks very nice especially the silver one at the top.
I was looking at getting a Golf R before deciding on my S3.The only reason I didn't go for it was the very poor staff at the dealership who couldn't be bothered to sell me one,so I went across the road and bought an S3...
Still think they are a nice looking car..Well done and I hope you enjoy it..:friends:
ps what spec, colour etc don't keep us in the dark..lol

Looks very nice especially the silver one at the top.
I was looking at getting a Golf R before deciding on my S3.The only reason I didn't go for it was the very poor staff at the dealership who couldn't be bothered to sell me one,so I went across the road and bought an S3...
Still think they are a nice looking car..Well done and I hope you enjoy it..:friends:
ps what spec, colour etc don't keep us in the dark..lol

I will be going for the red, love the White but want a change from the S3. 19" optional wheels.

Apart from that, I'm not sure as VW haven't released any details yet about standard/optional spec.

Reading about it online it seems the bucket seats will be standard

Reactions: pburv
These are the optional 19"

d78b5f7e8427856f329f9ccec875cda0.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Pulp84
Looks brilliant.
Far better option than the RS3 IMO - will be a better car to drive despite being down on power and "driven" wheels.
I'd have one, but I'm sticking for the time being.

Reactions: veeeight and RYuill
I think they are stunning and a great choice, in most situations 2wd is more than enough we are all just a bit spoilt. I always found the MK6 GTI that replaced my earlier S3 8P far more fun due to all the torque steer and better steering, let us know how you get on with it when it arrives ;)

Me personally l think you should read the very first test drive of the new Focus RS....Autocar has just published it today 5 star rating...Ditch the Golf do the Ford...its an amazing car so they say 5 star's.,...with better residuals than any LTD Golf

Reactions: Snibo, NotquiteWelsh and RYuill
I did think about the focus RS, however the wife put a stop to that straight away lol. It would be a lovely car to drive but it is lacking in the looks department .

Reactions: Simon L, WarwickL and Jassyo06
Hello @RYuill. I remember we both ordered our S3's early 2014 and picked up around the same time!

As a proud owner of the very new and (at the moment) rare Golf GTE hybrid, I have found the experience of owning both broadly similar cars very interesting as will you! Not publicised it too much as the Golf word is very naughty on the 8V forum :yes:

I always wondered if the Golf on balance was the better ownership proposition but after now owning one I can see in many years how Audi get away with the premium. On balance I do prefer the Audi way of doing things (especially the infotainment system and MFD displays).

BTW £29k is a bargain for the performance. £37k for my GTE!

Reactions: veeeight and RYuill
Me personally l think you should read the very first test drive of the new Focus RS....Autocar has just published it today 5 star rating...Ditch the Golf do the Ford...its an amazing car so they say 5 star's.,...with better residuals than any LTD Golf
My S3 will be 3yo this year; now I fancy a change too. That ford does seem to me at least as much fun as the Golf, with performance more like the RS3 and AMG 45 at not much more cost than the golf. I wonder which one I'm going to choose? I'd suggest the Ford to both you and I.

My S3 will be 3yo this year; now I fancy a change too. That ford does seem to me at least as much fun as the Golf, with performance more like the RS3 and AMG 45 at not much more cost than the golf. I wonder which one I'm going to choose? I'd suggest the Ford to both you and I.

Still being messed around by my local Ford dealer about a test drive. End of March is maybe end of April now :worried:

Initial quotes for finance on the Focus RS shocked me..... £4k down and just over £500 a month. I have had conversations on similar figures for a bog standard RS3. I'm sure the Gocus RS will hold its value but it does initially appear dear to finance thanks to the low GFV.

No doubt the GTI will be cheaper to finance for the OP as the Golf will have a good GFV.

Great car and great choice, I'm convinced that it will be great fun to drive and very rewarding.

I could seriously go for the RS though. That's the Ford not the Audi

In fact after reading the Test Review I'll be visiting my local dealer on Wednesday.

Reactions: RYuill and veeeight
the GFV is just an estimate. The MK2 RS's GFV to start with wouldn't of been anywhere near the current value that they are going for.
The waiting list I've heard is now upto a year. This may give some idea as to where the future values are heading. Could be wrong :search:

I think I must have become a car snob over the years as I just couldn't do the Ford thing no matter how good...

the GFV is just an estimate. The MK2 RS's GFV to start with wouldn't of been anywhere near the current value that they are going for.
The waiting list I've heard is now upto a year. This may give some idea as to where the future values are heading. Could be wrong :search:
It's more than an estimate as it's what the whole finance package is based on to calculate monthly payments.

Sure it will hold its money well but I was pointing out how the RS compares to its competitors. It might be cheap RRP wise but more expensive rivals can be had on similar repayments.

Think most people won't care though.....I certainly have a whiff of 90's Cosworth nostalgia from reading the reviews!

EDIT: just seen on the Ford website that GFV is now nearer £16k. That changes things! It's looking super super competitive now for the Focus RS!

Last edited:
I think I must have become a car snob over the years as I just couldn't do the Ford thing no matter how good...

You are correct :welcoming:
I on the other hand have seen the light :welcoming:

But hey, each to their own

Reactions: Snibo
Focus RS sounds like a very good bit of kit, and a bargain to go with it.

Reactions: veeeight and Pulp84
I did think about the focus RS, however the wife put a stop to that straight away lol. It would be a lovely car to drive but it is lacking in the looks department .

Errrm?? It's not exactly ugly!

Could not go back to a Ford no way !
Chav-tastic no thank you.
Totally different market / league to Audi.
Built to a 'budget' for a reason.
Horrible dash & steering wheel too.

VW far superior .... only concern would be limited numbers = likely no or little discount whereas Golf R can be had for big discount.

Reactions: Ignition1, Simon L and WarwickL
Errrm?? It's not exactly ugly!

OMFG - that is hideous isn't it.

I'd have to wear a disguise driving that POS looking vehicle so I didn't get recognized.

No doubt a great driving hatch but looks, oh dear, massive fail.

Edit - yes, most know that looks are subjective but design isn't and that is so wrong in so many areas. What a dogs breakfast.

Reactions: Simon L and Snake Pliskin
Ford ditched the two best things about the old RS too ...

the deep blue paint & 5 pot engine !

Reactions: Simon L and WarwickL
OMFG - that is hideous isn't it.

I'd have to wear a disguise driving that POS looking vehicle so I didn't get recognized.

No doubt a great driving hatch but looks, oh dear, massive fail.

Edit - yes, most know that looks are subjective but design isn't and that is so wrong in so many areas. What a dogs breakfast.
It doesn't matter how it looks, you would be the talk of the town with your drift button and real 4WD

Reactions: veeeight and WarwickL
Drift button lol ..... says it all :)

Reactions: Simon L and WarwickL
I thought it looked fairly subtle in black, still nowhere near as max powered as the new Civic Type R gets my neck twitching every time I go passed one ....

CzmQtivX

Ah as for the Ed 40 I quite like that too - great looking seats.

Reactions: Jassyo06
True - black makes it blend into the tarmac.

Look, I get it is for extroverts but with all the 'glorious' drivers car tech it supposedly has, why do they have to make it look so *****.

At least make it look less like a Focus.

Edit - has a drift button though

Reactions: Rob2k68
True - black makes it blend into the tarmac.

Look, I get it is for extroverts but with all the 'glorious' drivers car tech it supposedly has, why do they have to make it look so *****.

At least make it look less like a Focus.

The original MK 3 focus was never the best looking car to start with,this Mk 3-5 is a far better looking version there's only so much you can do with the original design,as for the looks of this new car l blame the yanks as they have had the most input.....World car not like the Mk2

Waiting times is around a year no thanks av done the Ford thing but there's far too much badge snobbery in here lol

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and WarwickL

Hmm,
Do you think Autocar actually drove it? Im not sure after reading the roadtest....seems a bit generic to me and all the pics are standard press release pics....

The original MK 3 focus was never the best looking car to start with,this Mk 3-5 is a far better looking version there's only so much you can do with the original design,as for the looks of this new car l blame the yanks as they have had the most input.....World car not like the Mk2

Waiting times is around a year no thanks av done the Ford thing but there's far too much badge snobbery in here lol

I owned a few Fords, Toyotas, Nissans, Austins, GMs, Morries, VWs, Vanguards and more.

I honestly couldn't give a toss about badge (I'm seriously looking at removing all the Audi badges on our S3)

All they have done with the Focus is tack on as much panel patching as they can and made it look worse than a bog standard Focus.

Saving grace is that it is quick and handles well, supposedly

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
I owned a few Fords, Toyotas, Nissans, Austins, GMs, Morries, VWs, Vanguards and more.

I honestly couldn't give a toss about badge (I'm seriously looking at removing all the Audi badges on our S3)

All they have done with the Focus is tack on as much panel patching as they can and made it look worse than a bog standard Focus.

Saving grace is that it is quick and handles well, supposedly

.........you know the old saying mate, you can't polish a ****!! lol

.....and I'm with me buddies as usual...............had enough ugly-*** cars to last me a lifetime.................it's class all the way from here on!!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
.........you know the old saying mate, you can't polish a ****!! lol

.....and I'm with me buddies as usual...............had enough ugly-*** cars to last me a lifetime.................it's class all the way from here on!!

A few will try and polish it

Even a few on here

The ones that think the S3 is a **** :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Snake Pliskin and Simon L

Even a few on here

......no sympathy with the ones who think the S3 is the ****, no-one forced em to buy it!!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
......no sympathy with the ones who think the S3 is the ****, no-one forced em to buy it!!

Even a few on here

I just cannot get my head round why anyone would choose the Focus RS over an Audi S3 ?
Even more so on an Audi forum :blink:

Oh and I really cannot stand those vertical interior vents in the Ford - they are hideous.
The Audi S3 is a league ahead of the Ford ... & some :sunglasses:

Reactions: Rob2k68
I mean come on they are poles apart .....

Ford cn4ud focus rs 3d 2015 36

2015 audi s3 interior obo3jixdp

Reactions: SHOTTA GTR, xBox, Rob2k68 and 2 others