Time for a change

johnnywb

Reaction score
Right, i've decided to bite the bullet and look at changing my car. I'll be looking to take delivery in September (or around then) potentially. Current contenders are;

A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line (manual)
Golf V R32
Nissan 350z

Potentially i'd also consider the new S3, but think it'll be out too late etc and maybe the 170bhp A3 TDI. I won't be driving that much as i'll be living and working in London by then, so economy won't be so important.

What are people's views on these cars? Obviously i expect more of a weighting towards the A3, but i'd be interested to hear people's views!

The 350 seems to come with a lot of stuff as standard, but is more expensive to start with, with little hope of much of a discount. Whereas there's a few options i'd add to bothe the Golf and the A3.

Our of those 3, the 350Z all day!!

Not forgetting its a coupe of course, if that suits your needs then go for it. If I didn't need a reasonable boot and folding seats i'd have a 350.

Not forgetting the new BMW 330i M sport saloon. Possibly the best handling car i've ever driven, and with that wonderful new all alloy 260bhp 3 litre six.

I'd get the 350 out of those three if you don't need the extra space and fuel isn't a problem. I'm sure you'd get a discount if you tried hard enough, they've been around long enough.

How about an RX8 just to add something else to think about? I'd agree that a 330 (although I'd go for the coupe) is worth a look too.

[ QUOTE ]
Right, i've decided to bite the bullet and look at changing my car. I'll be looking to take delivery in September (or around then) potentially. Current contenders are;

A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line (manual)
Golf V R32
Nissan 350z

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it have to be new?

Used Boxster?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd agree that a 330 (although I'd go for the coupe) is worth a look too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought till I tried the new E90 saloon. It makes the coupe / old saloon feel like an overweight christmas pud.

Might be making the jump myself......

350Z would get my vote as well. Thinking of changing for one of those myself but am also waiting on proper news of the new S3 and TT.

That said, I've never driven one but fully intend to soon.

The 350 is definately my first choice, but i'm waiting for them to announce pricing on the facelift version, apparently there's going to be the inveitable increase, which might just push it out of reach by the time i add a few options like sat nav etc, it's a great car and i don't need the extra seats and could cope with the limited luggage space. My only other concern is that in London it's going to stand out a bit too much and attract the wrong sort of attention (def. wouldn't be having the sunburst orange!), but then i guess that goes for the R32 as well.

indeed it might....!

Just trying to work out whereabouts in London to try and find a place. I'll be working off Oxford Street, so looking for stuff at the moment. If i can do that and get a rough postcode, i can start looking at quotes...

RX8 is OK if you don't mind a car that sounds like a washing machine on full spin and does 12 to the gallon.

Still a good drive alledgedly.

[ QUOTE ]
RX8 is OK if you don't mind a car that sounds like a washing machine on full spin and does 12 to the gallon.

Still a good drive alledgedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know,and this is the god's honest truth,I considered the RX8 before my A3 but I was put off by reports of excessive oil consumption (around 800 miles per litre I believe).

Ironically,my A3 has gone though 6+ litres of oil in 11k miles...

Hmmmph.

Boxster........

I still miss mine, even though the A3 is a far more practical choice and way better on long runs.

RX8 looks the part but that whining engine......

350z when compared with the Boxster usually loses in the car mag reviews.

.....and nobody has suggested a TT (that's an observation not a suggestion)

A friend's RX8 230bhp averages about 20mpg and there is a lot of m'way driving in there too. Oil is supposed to be checked every second tank of petrol too! It does use a lot of it. Twice as much torque would be helpful too. And if you start it, move the car a few metres and then switch off again, it is pot luck whether it will start again the next time! A typical trait of the engine apparently. Mazda has been out a few times to various cars for this!

On the plus side, feedback to the driver is a big step up from my 3.2, it is rear wheel drive, excellent build quality, great to drive, that little bit different, and the suicide doors really do work and allow two tall adults to sit in the back with loads of space.

But I'd take a used Boxster S.

Yes but does a used Boxster S come in at 27k?

The facelift version of the 350Z was in EVO and I think they had the price at 27k. Power was up to just under 300bhp.

well if your after a 2nd hand car (which I don't think the original poster is) how about this...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/57075.htm

57075-1t.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Yes but does a used Boxster S come in at 27k?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm damn sure you'll get a 986 Boxster S on a private sale...or from an independant, for that sort of money....maybe even from an OPC if it's a few years old.

Hell...you can get a really nice 993 or even a basic 996 for that sort of money.

I thought about the RX8 but i'm not overly sure on the looks, just a personal thing. Also thought about the 3.2 TT, but would like to see what the new one looks like, don't really want to buy something that's immediately replaced!

I've yet to test drive any of the cars, just looking to get some feedback before i do drive them, to see what to look out for!

A used Boxster is a possibility, i've always been slightly cautious about buying second hand performance cars tho, (Considered a used M3 as well) always the niggle that they've been thrashed by the previous owner(s). Any views?

If you want to make the easy choice g ofor the boxster, though every one will think you couldnt afford a 911 (Ready for the abuse folks, bring it on!!)

:If it were me, i'd go for the 350 or look at a second hand SLK 350, mates it very sweeeeet

BOXSTER all the way, just ordered one for the misses. What a great car.

We also tested the 350z, R32, TT Quatro Sport.

If you can stretch to the Porsche it is well worth it, but be warned the list price may say £32,640 but it's going to cost you at least £35k-36k for a half decent spec on the car.

Come on Matt, the poor man's Porsche thing is a bit old in the tooth now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, if you look at the handling/performance of the 987 you will see that it is quite capable of keeping up with a standard 997, obviously not in a straight line though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Girl that works for me has the SLK and they look nice but inside they are horrible and although they have improved the set-up of the new car they can't touch the Boxster for handling.

[ QUOTE ]

Come on Matt, the poor man's Porsche thing is a bit old in the tooth now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, if you look at the handling/performance of the 987 you will see that it is quite capable of keeping up with a standard 997, obviously not in a straight line though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I little story...

We went on a Porsche Clug GB run recently...Boxster (2.7, non S) at the front, Caymen, my 996 C4S, David R's 993 C4, another C4.

Proper roads, up in the Scottish Highlands...did 300 miles or so.

The Boxster led...and wes never caught or passed by anyone...
Maybe we could...maybe we couldn't...

The point it, the Boxster is sublime to drive quickly...and very, very capable...

It's no poor relation to the 911...it's different, and sublime in it's own right. Drive one...you'll see...

Folks, we can bang on about how it is a faster/more capable/better performer than a 911 but the masses will simply think "can't afford a real porsche"

Personally, I don't rate them and 911's, driven both, on track and road and was not overly impressed

[ QUOTE ]
Folks, we can bang on about how it is a faster/more capable/better performer than a 911 but the masses will simply think "can't afford a real porsche"

Personally, I don't rate them and 911's, driven both, on track and road and was not overly impressed

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt no one is claiming the Boxster is 'faster/more capable/better performer than a 911'

Anyway I'm bored with your negative comments about a great car so moving on.

Monaro VXR is a beast

bored with my comments? I've only made two!! Sheeeesh, touchy today are we?

[ QUOTE ]
bored with my comments? I've only made two!! Sheeeesh, touchy today are we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, got out of bed on the left as the misses is away on business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No offence Matt but if you had actually owned a 911 and a Boxster I could accept your comments but having driven them 'once' at a track day doesn't quite qualify in my eyes.

PS if it helps I love my A3 TDi S-Line, and I drive that every day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

never did I say once either,(I said on track and road!) fortunately for me I have a close friend who spends alot of time abroad, he loaned me his 996 911 for a couple of weeks when he owned one and I just didn't get on with it at all......

And to be honest, I'm not saying my A3 is the best thing in the world, I chose it because I didn't want a clutch pedal and to that end it rocks. Plus, being a company car, it means I get to choose a fun toy for the weekend/the missus to use....

still deciding though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, got out of bed on the left as the misses is away on business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When this happens to me I rarely get out of bed, so I know how you feel!

For me its something to do with late nights out on the beer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
never did I say once either,(I said on track and road!) fortunately for me I have a close friend who spends alot of time abroad, he loaned me his 996 911 for a couple of weeks when he owned one and I just didn't get on with it at all......

And to be honest, I'm not saying my A3 is the best thing in the world, I chose it because I didn't want a clutch pedal and to that end it rocks. Plus, being a company car, it means I get to choose a fun toy for the weekend/the missus to use....

still deciding though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be nice to have friends like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You did say track and road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let bygones be bygones.

Good luck with your choice.

yeah, its pretty cool, he also lets me borrow his place in Glasgow, rich ghet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm swaying towards the 350Z TBH, though not driven one yet, plus the missus gets a choice and she wants a 4x4..........

[ QUOTE ]

I'm swaying towards the 350Z TBH, though not driven one yet,

[/ QUOTE ]

If a Boxster doesn't impress you with its abilty...you are going to be left wanting by a 350Z.
In my view anyway...

I understand but im not just after ability, IMO there is more to ownership than that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree. I suppose its all down to how serious a driver you are and what criteria you look for in a car.

I've never driven either so can't say which is best but if I had, I'm pretty sure my own driving ability would make it tough for me to say exactly which is the better drive. Unless it really is that big a difference. I'm sure I would love both compared to the A3, which I really enjoy at the moment, moreso now I'm only using it at weekends. You can take things for granted when you use them every day.

I like both the 350Z and the Boxster but I'd probably plump for the 350Z, though my mind may be changed by a test drive. I figure for about 25k you could get a good spec and newer 350Z, or a brand new one if thats your want at a couple of k more. Personally, I'd always go for a higher spec and newer version of a cheaper car - at the moment anyhow. If I was after a Porsche I would probably want a 911 and if I couldn't afford one that's only a couple of years old then I wouldn't bother. That's not to say theres anything wrong with older versions, just my personal preference. Guess I'm a sucker for fresher designs and more goodies. Plus not a big fan of convertibles, especially in the UK, though I see you can get a hardtop for the boxster.

Happy hunting!