Time for a build thread....big turbo

Good upgrade alex with rear brakes.
I don't know about newer kw systems but the one on my car is pain to adjust. Had a few plays with it and at the end i gave up. Settings recommended by kw are a bit to harsh for me.

Reactions: s3_trev and S3Alex
As far as I know it's got a lot to do with surface area,heat dissipation,friction and a lot of other stuff I know nothing about....LOL

Also diameter has a big influence on the force you can exert.

You really need DaveB for this rather than me.

Hope my APs roll up soon.

Car is going exceptionally well right now ... The way the boost builds is amazing.

BTW dual caliper systems have been tried and used but if a single caliper system can be as effective in race situations there is no need for the complexity of dual systems,and if a single caliper system can dissipate enough energy to overcome the tyre's adhesion,then again,a dual caliper system would have no benefit.

Cool thank you for the reply..I guess I better do some reading on this as it bugs me the way those 'big' brakes look lol!

I always forget something.....

Previously I said that on it's return from Storm,Andy had commented on the handling being a bit weird and generally not right.

I eventually worked out that having run R888s on it,and then swapped over to the Michelin PSS's in winter,we hadn't taken the softer sidewalls of the PSS into account,and the compression damping was WAY off.
So,a month ago we increased the front and rear damping by a notch,and now by 2 steps at the front and one at the rear,but leaving the rebound damping as before.

Car rides bumps better,corners flatter,and faster,so it's getting there.

I'm sure you updated the thread with this info in an earlier post? Nevertheless glad to hear it's handling back as it should :)

Good upgrade alex with rear brakes.
I don't know about newer kw systems but the one on my car is pain to adjust. Had a few plays with it and at the end i gave up. Settings recommended by kw are a bit to harsh for me.

I think the only downside of the v3 and CLubsport setups is the range of adjustments.

Most of us aren't prepared to spend days fiddling with the settings to get it just right.
I was fortunate having experience of the v3 before moving to the more sophisticated Clubsport,which has adjustments for compression and rebound,but that,plus the Penske guide were very useful in working out where to start,and where to go from there.

It's now pretty hard to be honest,and gives the back a good workout every day,but it is almost were it should be.

with the forge kit do you have to run the standard caliper too so the mechanical handbrake can be kept for mot reasons?

with the forge kit do you have to run the standard caliper too so the mechanical handbrake can be kept for mot reasons?

AFAIK...no...in any case there's no room left.

Reactions: COSTA_P
Does that rear forge kit not come with the handbrake part as well? Im sure I seen that.

Reactions: S3Alex
Does that rear forge kit not come with the handbrake part as well? Im sure I seen that.

It comes as a complete kit.

Carriers,rotors,calipers and lines and the handbrake assembly.

I can't fault it for an off the shelf solution but can't try it out properly until I've got rid of the old front kit.

Hi Alex hope you are well.
Just looking for some advice regarding catch cans, what do they do, and do you think they are necessary?

Hi Alex hope you are well.
Just looking for some advice regarding catch cans, what do they do, and do you think they are necessary?

Also PCV revamp kits

Hi there....

The problem with the TFSi is the multitude of breathers,all of which feed back into the induction system at some point.

They can be pretty innocuous,like the EVAP hose feeding into the inlet above the turbo,or a real pain,such as the crank and cam cover breathers,all of which dump oil and water vapour directly into the inlet,and then the crap ends up on the inlet valves like this....

A catch can and PCV kit will remove this to some extent,but it still won't catch gunk from one of the cam breathers,which exits directly into the turbo inlet.

That's proven by the fact that even if you have a catch can,the inlet valves still get gunked up after some time,although there's no doubt that any of the stuff you catch is a good thing.

So....cutting a long saga short,I do think a catch can/PCV revamp is worthwhile,but it will not catch all of the gunk unless ALL of the breathers are re-routed outside of the induction system.
That means doing away with the PCV system altogether,but also providing a way for the cam cover and crankcase to be scavenged adequately,and as far as I can see,the only way is to use a vent-to-atmosphere system like mine,or trailing the breathers out under the car somewhere,which is not ideal.

Reactions: voorhees, sliced and grchmason
thank you Alex, seems like a PCV revamp and catch can is what my next step will be. Recon its worth getting it walnut blasted beforehand?

thank you Alex, seems like a PCV revamp and catch can is what my next step will be. Recon its worth getting it walnut blasted beforehand?

If it's done over 30000 miles and especially if it's already mapped I would think so.

Mine had been cleaned out several times and each time it was in bits the gunk had collected again.

Quickest was 10000 miles at Stg4 before the extra injector rail was running.

Reactions: sliced
Alex I forgot to ask you. How's your valves after fitting the IE valve cover setup? Did you have a chance to inspect them?

Alex I forgot to ask you. How's your valves after fitting the IE valve cover setup? Did you have a chance to inspect them?

To be honest,not yet

The nearest we've come is both Storm and Syvecs saying the engine was having no problems flowing enough air for over 600bhp on the stock head.

Reactions: Mario8P
To be honest,not yet

The nearest we've come is both Storm and Syvecs saying the engine was having no problems flowing enough air for over 600bhp on the stock head.
Glad to hear that mate
Thanks

Lovely stuff mate, thank you for the pictures.

One question I've always wondered - on so many cars I see big discs (those with a large diameter) and massive callipers, but the ratio of brake disc surface to hub is tiny, so you end up with a massive disc thats really thin..what's the point?

Perhaps a picture can illustrate, compare picture one with two

Can you see how you have what looks like two inches of brake disc surface, whereas in the first picture there's nothing there.

Also, how come no one has put more than one caliper on a disc yet? Would the disc break?

The reason is simply it isn't needed. A larger diameter disc means your can get a larger "braking torque" for the same force applied. Its the same principle as levers. the further from the pivot you apply the load the larger the moment.
The smaller pad surface aids in cooling as your heat energy input (although the same for the same amount of speed retardation) is introduced over a smaller amount of time allowing more time for the disc to cool on each rotation. Therefore by having a larger disc you increase your braking torque for a similar sized pad or use a smaller pad to keep the same braking torque but allow it to run at cooler temperatures reducing the chances of brake fade. And as braking performance is usually limited by the amount of tyre friction available it is usually better to go with a smaller pad.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Mario8P and S3Alex
The reason is simply it isn't needed. A larger diameter disc means your can get a larger "braking torque" for the same force applied. Its the same principle as levers. the further from the pivot you apply the load the larger the moment.
The smaller pad surface aids in cooling as your heat energy input (although the same for the same amount of speed retardation) is introduced over a smaller amount of time allowing more time for the disc to cool on each rotation. Therefore by having a larger disc you increase your braking torque for a similar sized pad or use a smaller pad to keep the same braking torque but allow it to run at cooler temperatures reducing the chances of brake fade. And as braking performance is usually limited by the amount of tyre friction available it is usually better to go with a smaller pad.

Hope that makes sense.

Nicely put.

I was trying to voice it in my simple understanding of braking systems,and you've wrapped it up nicely.

Now,I'm hoping that my lucky find of a few days ago turns up,and has all of the right parts,and if so,there'll be a lot of thanks posted here soon.

Reactions: PippinR

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for clarifying...I was thinking more from the looks point of view, where imho a big "hub" section and skinny disc around it doesn't look as good as a big fat disc but obviously it isn't there to look pretty its meant to do a job lol :)

Thank you for clarifying...I was thinking more from the looks point of view, where imho a big "hub" section and skinny disc around it doesn't look as good as a big fat disc but obviously it isn't there to look pretty its meant to do a job lol :)
Function over Form! ;)

Reactions: Sayam and S3Alex
Function over Form! ;)

True

I've never liked putting looks above performance.

If it works well AND looks good that's a bonus but never form first.

Reactions: s3_trev, PippinR and Sayam
Function over Form! ;)

Reason I can put form first is because mine is only the 170 diesel...so any bigger brakes I fit are purely to look pretty behind the wheels...even the standard ones do the job perfectly well and that DSG box throws in the low gears so never had trouble stopping.

Considering the S3 kit but from what I've read it is quite heavy so looking for something at a similar price point but little lighter if you can help?

Reason I can put form first is because mine is only the 170 diesel...so any bigger brakes I fit are purely to look pretty behind the wheels...even the standard ones do the job perfectly well and that DSG box throws in the low gears so never had trouble stopping.

Considering the S3 kit but from what I've read it is quite heavy so looking for something at a similar price point but little lighter if you can help?

The stock S3 brakes are very heavy indeed.

Even the worn out VWR kit on mine was aorund 30kgs lighter than the stock set.
Most aftermarket kits will be lighter,but if it's only filling out the rims,then I'd be very wary of spending a lot of money,so a used S3 kit might be a decent idea.

I guess the only other option is to use bigger discs and have some spacers made for the standard calipers. However I don't think anyone makes an off the shelf kit for A3's that I am aware of so it will have to be a custom job. Its not difficult though so shouldn't cost too much.

The stock S3 brakes are very heavy indeed.

Even the worn out VWR kit on mine was aorund 30kgs lighter than the stock set.
Most aftermarket kits will be lighter,but if it's only filling out the rims,then I'd be very wary of spending a lot of money,so a used S3 kit might be a decent idea.

Yeah I don't really fancy spending £1000 plus just to fill the rims and look pretty lol, I can get my hands on a used S3 set for around £400ish based on what I've seen on eBay.

I guess the only other option is to use bigger discs and have some spacers made for the standard calipers. However I don't think anyone makes an off the shelf kit for A3's that I am aware of so it will have to be a custom job. Its not difficult though so shouldn't cost too much.

To be honest it is the caliper I don't like, the S3 one looks much meatier...the discs on my car aren't a bad size.

And let's not even discuss the rears lol my gran has saucers bigger than those rear discs!!

I'm hoping for some "Braking News" by Monday...LOL

When AMD have had a chance to look over the results of some detective work on my part....

Reactions: Sayam
I'm hoping for some "Braking News" by Monday...LOL

When AMD have had a chance to look over the results of some detective work on my part....

What do you drive when your car is in the tuners/garage mate?

Oh ok...I was going to say!!

Fair play for ruining the VW ones though. Nutter

I think they'd just had enough.....the pads had worn the calipers to the point where there is some play between the two(!) and the pads can grind a bit on the bellhousing.

Braking news.
Lol

Coming soon.

I vote for ceramic brakes on all 4 corners. Am I close?