Time for a build thread....big turbo

You should contact TVS Engineering for DSG Tuning. They are the spesialist inn big turbo application... Talk with Dirk and you'll get the best service and tune...

Reactions: S3Alex
What intercooler do you currently run Alex ?

I've had a ProAlloy for a few years now....it was the biggest I could find at the time,as well as the best made,and it still seems up to the job,but as I've said in another thread,the entire system runs cooler now,thanks to a much bigger turbo than the original,running lower boost pressures,so that undoubtedly helps over a small turbo pushed to it's limits.

You should contact TVS Engineering for DSG Tuning. They are the spesialist inn big turbo application... Talk with Dirk and you'll get the best service and tune...

My car has a Syvecs ECU,and the best guy for programming that is Andy Sahota at Storm Developments.....he's developed the software files for Syvecs on the TFSi,and the DQ500,so whilst I know that DSG-Dokter has a deservedly good reputation,but we deliberately left the box unmapped whilst everything else was getting settled in,and Andy wanted to buy in a spare Mechatronics unit for some more work first with that ECU.

Reactions: A3SBQ and MICHAEL PARKER
I've had a ProAlloy for a few years now....it was the biggest I could find at the time,as well as the best made,and it still seems up to the job,but as I've said in another thread,the entire system runs cooler now,thanks to a much bigger turbo than the original,running lower boost pressures,so that undoubtedly helps over a small turbo pushed to it's limits.

My car has a Syvecs ECU,and the best guy for programming that is Andy Sahota at Storm Developments.....he's developed the software files for Syvecs on the TFSi,and the DQ500,so whilst I know that DSG-Dokter has a deservedly good reputation,but we deliberately left the box unmapped whilst everything else was getting settled in,and Andy wanted to buy in a spare Mechatronics unit for some more work first with that ECU.
You have hit the nail on the head Alex , you have a bigger turbo that does not create the heat like a hybrid does .

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
You have hit the nail on the head Alex , you have a bigger turbo that does not create the heat like a hybrid does .

Andy had some very good advice for me this time out,which was not using the biggest possible turbo,with the widest aspect ratio etc,but tailoring the core of the GTX3582 that I had,and using an HTA compressor and decreasing the aspect ratio a bit.

That,combined with altering the way the fuelling is set(bringing in the port injectors earlier etc)has not only improved overall response and economy(!) but also the engine runs a lot cooler than it did,even with the previous big turbo.

In the end though,this turbo creates much more flow,at lower boost pressures,and it comes on boost a lot earlier......what he's done with the turbo and the programming is amazing.

Andy had some very good advice for me this time out,which was not using the biggest possible turbo,with the widest aspect ratio etc,but tailoring the core of the GTX3582 that I had,and using an HTA compressor and decreasing the aspect ratio a bit.

That,combined with altering the way the fuelling is set(bringing in the port injectors earlier etc)has not only improved overall response and economy(!) but also the engine runs a lot cooler than it did,even with the previous big turbo.

In the end though,this turbo creates much more flow,at lower boost pressures,and it comes on boost a lot earlier......what he's done with the turbo and the programming is amazing.
Sounds amazing , eventually I will be doing similar , I do listen to Niki Gower @ R Tech , currently as of Wednesday he was running my car at 26psi tailing off to 22psi as the car red lines , it was 20 degrees outside and the car was running 35- 40 degrees ambient , with meth on 25-30 , the welly cooler is not essential as the car will be rapid it's just all down to how efficient I and Niki want the car to be , it's a learning curve as you will appreciate , when I bought the car last may I knew nothing about them , it was my first ever Audi , boy have I learnt over the last 15 months .

Sounds amazing , eventually I will be doing similar , I do listen to Niki Gower @ R Tech , currently as of Wednesday he was running my car at 26psi tailing off to 22psi as the car red lines , it was 20 degrees outside and the car was running 35- 40 degrees ambient , with meth on 25-30 , the welly cooler is not essential as the car will be rapid it's just all down to how efficient I and Niki want the car to be , it's a learning curve as you will appreciate , when I bought the car last may I knew nothing about them , it was my first ever Audi , boy have I learnt over the last 15 months .

Me too.....I'd only ever had Cosworths previously,and the technology jump from then to now is amazing.

I was using an AEM water/meth kit but Andy switched off the kit as the car runs cool enough without it,so that's another minor miracle performed.

If you do go down this sort of route,the Syvecs ECU is one of the single biggest gains I've seen on that car,and Storm have seen 50bhp from that alone,on a TT-RS without changing anything else on that car.
The other great thing is that the bigger turbo doesn't tail off....with Race Development's head work,the car pulls without dropping torque all the way to 7500rpm.

Reactions: S.
Me too.....I'd only ever had Cosworths previously,and the technology jump from then to now is amazing.

I was using an AEM water/meth kit but Andy switched off the kit as the car runs cool enough without it,so that's another minor miracle performed.

If you do go down this sort of route,the Syvecs ECU is one of the single biggest gains I've seen on that car,and Storm have seen 50bhp from that alone,on a TT-RS without changing anything else on that car.
The other great thing is that the bigger turbo doesn't tail off....with Race Development's head work,the car pulls without dropping torque all the way to 7500rpm.
Very impressive , I have heard very good things about Storm . For now I am just going to swap over to the welly cooler and then the car is going on the back burner until next year , I am also having problems with selecting 4th gear at high rpm , Niki says it's the worst clutch he had ever experienced but I am not convinced it's the Spec clutch and more the input shaft , again it will have to wait until next year , the car is fine changing gear unless thrashed through the gears at high rpm , I have got used to it now and know how to overcome it but others who drive the car struggle at high rpm .

Very impressive , I have heard very good things about Storm . For now I am just going to swap over to the welly cooler and then the car is going on the back burner until next year , I am also having problems with selecting 4th gear at high rpm , Niki says it's the worst clutch he had ever experienced but I am not convinced it's the Spec clutch and more the input shaft , again it will have to wait until next year , the car is fine changing gear unless thrashed through the gears at high rpm , I have got used to it now and know how to overcome it but others who drive the car struggle at high rpm .

The Spec Stg3+ clutch I had on the manual box was absolutely fine,and had no selection issues at all.

There is a fix for the input shaft which I'm sure you've seen but it was primarily the Loba SMF clutch that had those problems.

Storm and in particular Andy,have been amazing....they built on what I had already,and noted that the AMD engine build was done to a very good standard,with virtually no wear found on the 2nd rebuild at 80k miles,so the bores,crank and pistons were fine.

The head wasn't OK at all,and one of the cam journals had disintegrated,so again their advice etc on the head was spot on.....if we hadn't done that,a catastrophic head failure was on the way.

Reactions: leshkin
There's obvious difference between propper big turbo and hybrid. Mine was rebuild to "light" hybrid spec but with stock cooler and sports cat and 30°C it did 380 but temps were getting sky high after few runs on rollers. It was dialed back a bit since we got 35+ all summer.
If you go welly cooler route can you please take as much pics as you can and details what needs to be done for a facelift s3.

Clutch issue is down to the gearbox and not clutch it self i'm 99% sure that's the issue.
I had input shaft mod and bearing shim mod and now i really enjoy driving it. I didn't put the 4th gear support but i think i should have done that too.
1-2-3 is extremly fast and precise at all rpms, 4th and 5th take a bit longer but how it was now it's perfect. I couldn't change gears at all above 6000rpm and it got stuck in 1st so many times and it wouldn't go into 2nd first try. Now it's fixed. 5000kms later and it's still a beauty to drive.

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
There's obvious difference between propper big turbo and hybrid. Mine was rebuild to "light" hybrid spec but with stock cooler and sports cat and 30°C it did 380 but temps were getting sky high after few runs on rollers. It was dialed back a bit since we got 35+ all summer.
If you go welly cooler route can you please take as much pics as you can and details what needs to be done for a facelift s3.

Clutch issue is down to the gearbox and not clutch it self i'm 99% sure that's the issue.
I had input shaft mod and bearing shim mod and now i really enjoy driving it. I didn't put the 4th gear support but i think i should have done that too.
1-2-3 is extremly fast and precise at all rpms, 4th and 5th take a bit longer but how it was now it's perfect. I couldn't change gears at all above 6000rpm and it got stuck in 1st so many times and it wouldn't go into 2nd first try. Now it's fixed. 5000kms later and it's still a beauty to drive.
I think your right about the clutch , mine is only a pig at high rpm say above 6500 and it's mainly 4th , I am going to have the box removed next year and get it fully strengthened , do the input shaft mod and every other thing possible to help the box , I will also be getting an lsd fitted at the same time , hopefully it will improve the situation as many with Spec clutchs claim theirs are fine , I am very disappointed with mine if I am honest but I am also reluctant to change it out for another and then still have the same problem .

I think your right about the clutch , mine is only a pig at high rpm say above 6500 and it's mainly 4th , I am going to have the box removed next year and get it fully strengthened , do the input shaft mod and every other thing possible to help the box , I will also be getting an lsd fitted at the same time , hopefully it will improve the situation as many with Spec clutchs claim theirs are fine , I am very disappointed with mine if I am honest but I am also reluctant to change it out for another and then still have the same problem .

I had a Quaife diff fitted to mine,and it really did improve grip on difficult surfaces or under heavy load.

The other choices would be Wavetrac or Peloquin,depending on what sort of feel you like from the diff.
The only issue you might find is the diff fighting a bit with the traction control,which I'd noticed on wet roads,where it produced some fairly radical understeer.....switching the TC off cured it.

Alex, you can map the TC so it's off permanently via the engine ECU iirc.

Alex, you can map the TC so it's off permanently via the engine ECU iirc.

Thanks...that may be of use to some of the guys planning on an LSD in the future.

Since swapping the gearbox,it's back now to a conventional open front diff,but with 4-stage TC via the Syvecs,whch is much more sophisticated than what VAG were using.
This senses individual wheelspin plus slip angle and velocity,but instead of applying braking,it cuts torque by first using ignition ******,then fueling and ignition if it's really severe.

That said,it's virtually impossible to tell if it's doing anything as it's so unintrusive.

Are you using a stand alone TCU for the DQ500? Or just Syvecs sw map?
No doubt you are in good hands

Do keep us posted...

Do keep us posted...

So far the box is unmapped and using the Syvecs for control inputs.

Andy wants to map it sometime.

Do keep us posted...
The mechatronics uses inputs from the engine ecu and speed sensors to run on the 8P's etc so aslong as the engine ecu and abs output signals are there as required by the mechatronics, it'll work

Good week at the office....found the biggest pothole in the area a few days back and bent one of the rims.

All seemed OK for a couple of days then it started to lose tyre pressure.
So...had the rim knocked back until it's vaguely round,and one new tyre.

Those PSS tyres aren't cheap or easy to find in 235 x 35 x 20s......but I know the position of very local pothole now.

Good week at the office....found the biggest pothole in the area a few days back and bent one of the rims.

All seemed OK for a couple of days then it started to lose tyre pressure.
So...had the rim knocked back until it's vaguely round,and one new tyre.

Those PSS tyres aren't cheap or easy to find in 235 x 35 x 20s......but I know the position of very local pothole now.
Some bad luck there Alex. Don't the council usually compensate for this, seeing as they are responsible for local roads?

Some bad luck there Alex. Don't the council usually compensate for this, seeing as they are responsible for local roads?

I wish.

They do but you have to prove it.....it's doable but often impossible.

I have a question you might have the answer to. I'm about to fit a quaife diff to my s3 and the guy selling it says i should better use 75 140 castrol gl5 oil. Do you know what you used when you had the qauife on?

Ring or email Quaife for technical support id suggest. Good guys there and helpful

nice build Alex,well done..run syvecs too in my S3.

Still amazed by how easy the car is to drive with this ECU.

How are you getting on with yours ?

Update to come....
Been way too busy over Xmas and kind of neglected the poor car.

Anyhow quite a few things done after a bit of a misfire which Andy at Storm has sorted out very quickly.

When the temperature started to get to around freezing the car would run fine until the water temp had reached about 40c,then run on 2-3 cylinders intermittently and then run fine again above 85c,and I couldn't work this out.

I'd given Andy a call and he'd thought about injector opening times etc,but wanted the car back to log the problem,and he traced it back to the NGK race plugs fouling up in the very cold conditions,and swapped those out for stock R8 plugs which now work just fine.

He'd said these need to be swapped back for the race plugs when things warm up,as the R8 plugs won't run the sort of settings on my engine reliably at 2bar for long.

So....while it was in he swapped out the stock S3 LPFP and auxiliary pump I'd been using for some years(a USP boost triggered pump),and replaced it with an RS3 pump plus PWM amplifier,run via the Syvecs.
This now runs an LP rail pressure of 6-7bar instead of the best of 3-4bar on the previous system,so the extra injector rail is fed much better,and the HPFP is less stressed at full boost.

The end result is that the car feels faster on 1.6bar then it did on 2bar before,and after a few tweaks to the gearbox settings,the changes are faster and smoother.....so the car is happy and I'm happy.

It's always interesting speaking to someone like Andy who really knows his way around the car and the ECU.....he was able to show me that what I'd thought might be a high boost misfire was actually the Syvecs bringing in a few percent of traction control at peak torque and boost to stop wheelspin,without losing traction or acceleration,and the data logging showed that very nicely.
Also the RS3 pump is already pretty well maxed out already,but there is a fix for that,which will help with mid range torque,but in terms of power,the engine is about at it's safe everyday limits on 99RON fuel.

There may even be a fix for that but that's for another time.....

Reactions: Jake 61, DJ_26, leshkin and 1 other person
Just got the car back from Storm,after sorting out an odd problem....

The car shut down completely,luckily in the car park at work,with a steering warning light.

Seemed the steering angle calibration had gone over limits and shut the car down...all sorted now,car serviced and MOT'd and race plugs back in the engine.

Reactions: paddy, voorhees and S.
Just got the car back from Storm,after sorting out an odd problem....

The car shut down completely,luckily in the car park at work,with a steering warning light.

Seemed the steering angle calibration had gone over limits and shut the car down...all sorted now,car serviced and MOT'd and race plugs back in the engine.

Alex. I had the same problem. Well same scenario. I was having a spirited drive, as i went round the roundabout. The car completely shut down. No lights though. Started and boosted fine ever since as well

You still around this forum Alex?

Reactions: grainqey and downtothebone