Time for a build thread....big turbo

Ah ok, might go with a Devilsown kit when I do need to go with WMI, did you go with a single point injection or are you going to run 4 nozzles in the intake manifold?

TBH the AEM kit is all you'd ever want for the money, both Alex and myself are running AEM - though Alex's is the older version so is physically slightly smaller.
I'd go for whichever has the best reviews recently.

Reactions: S3Alex
When you get the car back, I guarantee it's going to scare you! I've not had mine back long but in this nice weather I've had some awesome fun playing with the loud pedal. Down the lanes I've never had to back off and braked so much before. There were points it genuinely scared me. Twice I've got home now and wondered if I'd gone too far this time. Yours is going to be bonkers!

Reactions: HHS3, S. and S3Alex
When you get the car back, I guarantee it's going to scare you! I've not had mine back long but in this nice weather I've had some awesome fun playing with the loud pedal. Down the lanes I've never had to back off and braked so much before. There were points it genuinely scared me. Twice I've got home now and wondered if I'd gone too far this time. Yours is going to be bonkers!

There is only one answer to that question....never haha! maybe a bit unnecessary however!

I've been driving a diesel DS3 for nearly 10mths.

Even the stock engine would be quicker ....

Reactions: grainqey, Jonni and S.
How come andy is looking at ditching the MAF? has he said or....

The MAF housing is the narrowest part of the inlet system,and thus the greatest restriction.

There are two ways of dealing with it.....one is to use a larger MAF but that also means scaling the airflow to the device,and calibrating it.
The other method would be to remove the MAF and run the engine on MAP sensor,lambda,etc,which the Syvecs already has strategies for.

Reactions: S.
True and it's interesting they made it able to run maf-less!

You seem to be selling me an idea of buying an rs3 engine and a syvecs ecu :p

Reactions: S3Alex and S.
True and it's interesting they made it able to run maf-less!

You seem to be selling me an idea of buying an rs3 engine and a syvecs ecu :p

Don't even need the RS3 engine.......LOL

The ECU is a big part of how well the car has driven since it was fitted.....compared to how it was,it's like another big step,and as Storm and Syvecs had said,being the first,mine was run without VVT or other timing being pushed,and really was being held back by the old exhaust.

Reactions: grainqey
Don't even need the RS3 engine.......LOL

The ECU is a big part of how well the car has driven since it was fitted.....compared to how it was,it's like another big step,and as Storm and Syvecs had said,being the first,mine was run without VVT or other timing being pushed,and really was being held back by the old exhaust.
.....But I'd love the 5 pot noise in mine :p (I had Volvos so had basically an audi 5 pot engine in)

Got a knob....LOL

Reactions: kash_v, Hookmonster, leshkin and 4 others
Got a knob....LOL

Nice knob you've got there Alex :sunglasses:

When I dropped mine off this morning both Andy & Alex were already hard at work on it, guess she's a two man job!

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Nice knob you've got there Alex :sunglasses:

When I dropped mine off this morning both Andy & Alex were already hard at work on it, guess she's a two man job!

Thank you....nicest thing anyone's said to me today.

They're working on getting all the computers to talk to each other.

And....why is your car standing in the way of progress for mine....LOL

Reactions: grainqey and HHS3
Haha well I'd comment on your nuts too but haven't seen a photo of them!

Good stuff it's finally all starting to come together now then, how you've coped 10+ months without your beast of an S3 I don't know..

I'm only borrowing Rob for an hour hopefully!

Reactions: S3Alex and grainqey
I thought about the RS knob but I went for the bog standard VW one if you know which I mean - no RS tax on those lol like this : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...iw=1600&bih=805#imgrc=XHa4ruF8TtpKfM:&spf=191

I'll be running the same gearbox as you next week hopefully - that tiguan box of mine is affected by the dodgy synromesh (05/2013>11/2014)
I managed to finish it off so it now hums and vibrates while driving lol

What I've noticed about the 7 speed is that there seems to be less commotion when you boot it - you just end up going...rather fast! with my 6 speed dsg I was at the mercy of the limitations of my dsg map to run the extra power+torque however decked probably has less issue with his - being a TVS map

Thanks
Alex

Reactions: S3Alex and S.
Haha well I'd comment on your nuts too but haven't seen a photo of them!

Good stuff it's finally all starting to come together now then, how you've coped 10+ months without your beast of an S3 I don't know..

I'm only borrowing Rob for an hour hopefully!

I honestly do not know either.....maybe I've just got used to going slow.

I thought about the RS knob but I went for the bog standard VW one if you know which I mean - no RS tax on those lol like this : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...iw=1600&bih=805#imgrc=XHa4ruF8TtpKfM:&spf=191

I'll be running the same gearbox as you next week hopefully - that tiguan box of mine is affected by the dodgy synromesh (05/2013>11/2014)
I managed to finish it off so it now hums and vibrates while driving lol

What I've noticed about the 7 speed is that there seems to be less commotion when you boot it - you just end up going...rather fast! with my 6 speed dsg I was at the mercy of the limitations of my dsg map to run the extra power+torque however decked probably has less issue with his - being a TVS map

Thanks
Alex

Knob-wise(!) I was more than happy to see a gearknob there,let alone an RS one!

And....progress on the talks......(talks between the Republic of Syvecs,and the DQ500 delegation,with input from the Wheel Steering group....)

I know....that was a wheely silly joke....

Reactions: grainqey, S., leshkin and 1 other person
You wait till the rest of the dash lights up like an xmas tree :)

Don't think I like the sound of that.....

Anyway....more news...it's alive.....and it moves.

Reactions: grainqey and S.
Don't think I like the sound of that.....

Anyway....more news...it's alive.....and it moves.

Nothing major, but at the time I was worried. Turned out I'd crossed the CAN BUS connections and it went wild.... Dash lit up and headlights joined the party too :)

Reactions: grainqey, S. and S3Alex
Nothing major, but at the time I was worried. Turned out I'd crossed the CAN BUS connections and it went wild.... Dash lit up and headlights joined the party too :)

There were a few problems as you'd expect,but maybe not the ones you might have thought of....

Andy said the engine wouldn't start initially,so they removed the Syvecs and tried a stock ECU also with no luck,and found the new crank sensor that came with the new head was faulty.

Anyhow,the important thing is it runs now,and the shifter works,and the next job will be to get the Syvecs DSG strategies programmed,and then the flappy paddles sorted.

Sheeees aliveeee haha. I should imagine still fair to go. Make sure everything is tip top etc

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Sheeees aliveeee haha. I should imagine still fair to go. Make sure everything is tip top etc

Now that it actually runs,they can get on with programming the ECU with help from Syvecs,and then start on the engine programming.

Then I can start having fun....

Reactions: Kaine19 and S.
You mean cr4pping yourself! Haha

I really do hope so.....a diesel DS3,however comfy and easy to drive is definitely not hitting all the right buttons.

A nice bit of honest fear.....

Reactions: grainqey and Kaine19
I had the non starting issue lol and I wouldn't complain at having an rs knob in mine but I preferred something more subtle.

And to quote a famous quote.....
GORDON'S ALIVE!?

I had the non starting issue lol and I wouldn't complain at having an rs knob in mine but I preferred something more subtle.

And to quote a famous quote.....
GORDON'S ALIVE!?

I'm hoping the RS knob to this is like the diesel knob to my car.

I'm hoping the RS knob to this is like the diesel knob to my car.
Well if it's any consolation then my mpg went up considerably on a run with the long 7th gear and even when I started poking it, it was still considerably better so win-win if you ask me going to the 7 speed

It'll be win/win just getting the old beast back for summer.

Andy's making steady progress.....I don't think this bit was easy.
I asked if it was difficult and got a one word answer...I don't envy that task.

D6208989-2975-4FEC-90A8-7E34CCC4EFCB_zpsrzdygpnb.jpg

Reactions: RobH97, leshkin, S. and 2 others
Andy's making steady progress.....I don't think this bit was easy.
I asked if it was difficult and got a one word answer...I don't envy that task.

D6208989-2975-4FEC-90A8-7E34CCC4EFCB_zpsrzdygpnb.jpg

This is the reason I was glad to have already been DSG - it's plug and play with the cluster :D

More new bits.....

295F71B9-E895-4C47-B5F5-95E5C9476EA4_zpsnfgkdazq.jpg

This is just what I'd been thinking of.....great work Andy.

Been so out of the loop with your build mate, what kind of power you running now?

Just gone Stage 2+ on my S3 this week, made 360 bhp and 370 ftlb. Really chuffed with the performance. Next would be a bigger turbo but that's lightyears away from happening at this point :p

Been so out of the loop with your build mate, what kind of power you running now?

Just gone Stage 2+ on my S3 this week, made 360 bhp and 370 ftlb. Really chuffed with the performance. Next would be a bigger turbo but that's lightyears away from happening at this point :p

Thanks!
Good to see you.

It was running 550bhp/540lbs.
The plan now is that with the new exhaust plus the head work it should run more boost and with a wider torque band and 600+bhp should be doable where the exhaust was holding it back previously.

Storm did get around 620bhp out of it on the old exhaust but felt it was a bad idea long term so we turned it down a bit.

Right now I think they've had enough trouble just getting the various parts talking to each other.

Daily blog....

Engine all nicely back where it belongs....

And a bigger stop pedal...

The MAP sensor is going to be moved to the inlet manifold,as on the RS,and that will allow it to read both negative and positive pressures,and to allow the ECU to use MAP instead of air mass.
The benefits of that will be to allow a larger inlet piping,and also the gearbox torque strategies to run faster and better via the ECU.

Reactions: HHS3
That's one shiny engine!!

Cleaner than when I left it for sure.

TBH the AEM kit is all you'd ever want for the money, both Alex and myself are running AEM - though Alex's is the older version so is physically slightly smaller.
I'd go for whichever has the best reviews recently.

I've probably said already but I think the WMI may be on the removal list.....I don't think it features on Andy's keepers for the car this time round.

As above the programming plans are:

Remove the MAF.
Increase diameter of inlet piping.
Resite MAP sensor to inlet manifold (i.e.above the throttle body)
Run the car on MAP strategy.
New software updates from Syvecs to add functions.
Gearbox programming....flat shift with gear cut to minimise loading during shifts.

Then add the new steering wheel and paddles.

They said it's been easier than anticipated to get the various modules talking to each other,and best of all to the original DIS on my car.

The next things to do are to run the car for a while,and look for any leaks or other reliability issues,before loading all of the software updates and pushing the engine a bit.

Last edited:
I've probably said already but I think the WMI may be on the removal list.....I don't think it features on Andy's keepers for the car this time round.

As above the programming plans are:

Remove the MAF.
Increase diameter of inlet piping.
Resite MAP sensor to inlet manifold (i.e.above the throttle body)
Run the car on MAP strategy.
New software updates from Syvecs to add functions.
Gearbox programming....flat shift with gear cut to minimise loading during shifts.

Then add the new steering wheel and paddles.

They said it's been easier than anticipated to get the various modules talking to each other,and best of all to the original DIS on my car.

The next things to do are to run the car for a while,and look for any leaks or other reliability issues,before loading all of the software updates and pushing the engine a bit.

How come the WMI is potentially on the removal list?

A good job can never be rushed but some good progress has been happening recently, plus with no hiccups which is always appreciated!

I'm looking forward to seeing this latest batch of upgrades come together and see what she's capable of.