Time for a build thread....big turbo

Any of the SMF clutches are a bit knobbly at idle,but not when running,so we simply didn't bother.

I have a feeling that whatever is in the DSG will be a DMF,so I'll be going back if you like....

Reactions: HHS3
I run stage 2+ with spec 3+ clutch and have to say I don't really notice any vibration , the only time I even really hear the clutch is if I've been idle in traffic for a prolonged period of time

Reactions: HHS3, kash_v and S3Alex
One beast of a s3 this will be with the dsg box!

How are the thrust bearings Alex?

One beast of a s3 this will be with the dsg box!

How are the thrust bearings Alex?

Good question....I'm assuming OK.....the box has only done 10k miles.

I run stage 2+ with spec 3+ clutch and have to say I don't really notice any vibration , the only time I even really hear the clutch is if I've been idle in traffic for a prolonged period of time

Thanks Smirky, to be fair all of you guys running a Spec clutch say that it isn't chronic and can only be heard when idling after a run. Someone uploaded a video from inside the cabin on here and it wasn't horrendous to be fair, I'm just a picky sod :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirky and S3Alex
Be interesting to see if the pulley makes any difference , I don't no if it makes a difference but be interested to see if people that have a lot of.noise/vibration are running a ally flywheel where as I and Alex run the steel ?

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
Be interesting to see if the pulley makes any difference , I don't no if it makes a difference but be interested to see if people that have a lot of.noise/vibration are running a ally flywheel where as I and Alex run the steel ?

Looking back at the video then lapapps is actually running a Sachs Organic Clutch & SMF (either Sachs or LOBA), rather then a Spec Clutch & Steel SMF. The LOBA is made of chromoly steel which weighs 6.7KG but I'm not sure what material the Sachs is made from, I've had a search but can't find anything.

Here's his video of it, skip to 1:46:

It's nothing chronic but being a perfectionist then that would bother me. Does that sound similar to your Spec 3+ & Steel SMF? Have you got a video from inside he cabin at all? The Fluidampr engine damper does have very minor performance benefits albeit not very noticeable as well as a reduction in rpm drops between shifts, but the only reason I'm interested in it was for this:

''Decreased Clutch/Gear Box Chatter which is caused by lightweight single mass flywheels''

Apologies for using your thread for this Alex, especially as it's not really relevant to you anymore with your DSG now!

Last edited:
Reactions: S3Alex
No problems at all.

Mine was never noticeable when moving but could be a bit rattly at idle.

It does have the Spec steel flywheel but that was more out of my paranoia over anything breaking.

Alex, whats your thoughts on thurst bearing fail/wear?

Reason I ask is i will be hopefully going stage 2+ next year, with an uprated clutch which has more clamping pressure. There are two threads in the 8p section, both had their car mapped and then fitted a sachs uprated clutch shorty after bottom end went.

Just from that i probably will avoid the sachs clutch as it appears the pressure plate maybe to hard for an older higher miles s3 (mines 07 plate on 98k). So thinking spec stage2+ as ive read its as light as oem (somehow able to cope with the power?!)

Spec really light as the oem setup?

Thanks

Spec really is as light as we've said

Mine felt as light as stock but held up to 540lbs.

Thrust bearings I honestly couldn't say other than I've had no problems yet at 80k miles.

Reactions: kash_v
Thanks Alex, pretty much sold on a spec stage2 - just hope import rates dont go crazy.

Not keen on a heavy pressure plate on my basically 100k motor, thats had the stupid push to start for most of its life.

Thanks Alex, pretty much sold on a spec stage2 - just hope import rates dont go crazy.

Not keen on a heavy pressure plate on my basically 100k motor, thats had the stupid push to start for most of its life.

Definitely go for the Spec mate, the piece of mind that it won't let you down is worth the cost alone, Michael has been using the Spec 2+ clutch & steel SMF for a few months now and as had no issues with it, several people highly rate the Spec 3+ whereas I've heard mixed reviews of all other clutch kits.

The import tax for mine from the US to UK was £181 which is a b1tch, but still £100 cheaper all in from Ultra Rev then had I gone to the UK supplier garage whifbitz, if you want anymore info this thread should help: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-spec-clutch-flywheel-offers-available.288600/

Not sure if you've already got this on your radar but I'll be getting one to go with my Spec clutch when it gets fitted next year: Push Clutch To Start Bypass Harness £25 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152330042921. The listing has ended but the seller is on here with the same username and still sells them.

Reactions: Simply D and kash_v
Thanks @HHS3 i did see your thread, good work finding the best deal!

Ive already got the push to start delete mate, get it fitted to yours now - 5min job and worth it.

Thanks @HHS3 i did see your thread, good work finding the best deal!

Ive already got the push to start delete mate, get it fitted to yours now - 5min job and worth it.

Didn't realise that it was a 5 minute jobby, the listing states that it also comes with a comprehensive fitting guide so I won't wait to get this part now. Does the bypass harness also mean that you don't get the message come up on the DIS?

Didn't realise that it was a 5 minute jobby, the listing states that it also comes with a comprehensive fitting guide so I won't wait to get this part now. Does the bypass harness also mean that you don't get the message come up on the DIS?
It took me longer than 5 mins, engine cover had to come off and then getting into the connector but wasnt too bad.
I still get the message coming up on the DIS but can start without clutch in, have done it a couple of times with it still in gear, luckily nothing in front of me.
Just all these years programmed to leave in gear and putting clutch in before starting I'm sure I will learn quick enough...

I have a revo intake alot quicker to remove, 5min maybe bit too quick lol. Id say took me less then 15mins ;). Still get the message re press clutch, but just ignore it

It took me longer than 5 mins, engine cover had to come off and then getting into the connector but wasnt too bad.
I still get the message coming up on the DIS but can start without clutch in, have done it a couple of times with it still in gear, luckily nothing in front of me.
Just all these years programmed to leave in gear and putting clutch in before starting I'm sure I will learn quick enough...

I have a revo intake alot quicker to remove, 5min maybe bit too quick lol. Id say took me less then 15mins ;). Still get the message re press clutch, but just ignore it

Cheers lads, I have a Revo CAI fitted and no engine cover but it will still probably take me the best part of an hour haha!

1f0c84389702b45ad8fc47319a51e7dc.jpg

"Heads up"

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER, grainqey, S. and 4 others
Wow.

Xmas arrives early.

Thank you very much indeed Santa Mike.

I'll get onto Race Developments

Edit...done
They know but are up their necks in other work but will strip and return the old head asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: grainqey and mjr901
Wow.

Xmas arrives early.

Thank you very much indeed Santa Mike.

I'll get onto Race Developments

Edit...done
They know but are up their necks in other work but will strip and return the old head asap.

10 minute job surely :chuncky: :footy:

Ask them to include the end casing just in case they weren't as what you see in the pic has to go back to VW UK for complete refurbishment. (in your case probably the bin lol but they still want it back so they can action the credit).

Cheers

Mike

Lol Mike.

Will do.
I got the impression they have more work going on even than I have...

So....thank to mjr901 in his Santa outfit,the head has arrived,and Race Developments have stripped the old one,and got it ready to return.

Tim at Race Developments has recommended swapping out the entire valvetrain for new components,and at that time will do the porting etc,and filling in the slots for the runner flaps,which are no longer used,but mess up the airflow otherwise.

One bit of good news....he says the head is good for 700+bhp on stock valve sizes.

I've talked to both him and Andy at Storm,and Andy will look over the existing block and crank to make sure it's all in good condition,and I think we've decided that the whole lot deserves taking down and checking,so the cash register is ticking over pretty quickly right now.

I'm guessing that leaving out the gearbox and head which I've already paid for,this little lot will set me back somewhere around £10k,so,for anyone considering this sort of thing,just worth thinking about how shockingly expensive it can all get to,when you start looking at engine/head builds and as Andy put it,being able to push the engine a bit harder.....eeek.

Going to have to work a bit harder....

Last edited:
Reactions: paul_zx6r, HHS3, Jake 61 and 3 others
Serious build going on Alex ,
Out of interest while all this is being done would it be worth increasing the valve size or is 700+ pretty much the limit with the lack of space for bigger turbo etc ??

Serious build going on Alex ,
Out of interest while all this is being done would it be worth increasing the valve size or is 700+ pretty much the limit with the lack of space for bigger turbo etc ??

I think in all honesty I have to know when to stop.....

700bhp would be pretty amazing,but what Storm are aiming for is somewhere in the 600s,but with all the added stuff since Andy did that before.
He managed to wring somewhere over 600 out of it on the old exhaust,and without the head work,and the turbo mods it's having now,but also said I won't need a huge amount more,as the DSG will chop a lot of time out of acceleration.

And you're right,a GTX4xx frame turbo just isn't going to fit down there,and that would mean trying to top-mount it,and I know one man who's done that,but ended up cutting into the firewall to do it....

Tim doesn't think it's neccessary,and neither does Andy,but they both think the faster spool,bigger torque band,and the DSG will all add up to being much quicker.

The other thing is the periods between major rebuilds just gets shorter and shorter....

Reactions: grainqey and Smirky
Very true been so long since u driven it gonna be a complete rocket ship and not much around that will keep up with you ,
Could always go the twin engine route one in the boot like that old vr6 that was in every mag years ago lol

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Almost forgotten what it looks like....

Reactions: Jake 61, grainqey and Smirky
Good news.....thanks to @mjr901 ,the head has reached Tim at Race Developments,and he's been able to start work on porting and rebuilding it,and the bottom end of the engine has been stripped and inspected back at Storm.

More good news....Andy says that the crank,rods,pistons etc all look good,and that I should stop worrying!

Reactions: Jake 61, HHS3, S. and 2 others
Good news.....thanks to @mjr901 ,the head has reached Tim at Race Developments,and he's been able to start work on porting and rebuilding it,and the bottom end of the engine has been stripped and inspected back at Storm.

More good news....Andy says that the crank,rods,pistons etc all look good,and that I should stop worrying!
Great news mate hopefully be all together and running by the time the weather picks up

After the head failing I just had visions of new pistons and crank etc etc

So I can still say that AMDs Steve did a great job building the bottom end of that engine.

That's 40k miles and still looking good so also a thumbs up to PEC and Wossner.

Reactions: crazylegscrane and Smirky
Hey mate long time no speak, still playing with the S3 are you.

I'm back with another S3 so hopefully get to meet you and the rest of the guys at the next rolling Road day.

What new goodies you got now?

Hey mate long time no speak, still playing with the S3 are you.

I'm back with another S3 so hopefully get to meet you and the rest of the guys at the next rolling Road day.

What new goodies you got now?

Where to start.....

Aside from the Syvecs and the GTX3582,which you probably know about already....

DQ500 gearbox,plus all the bits for that,ready to interface with the Syvecs.
GTX3582 off having ceramic coated hotside and changing the compressor wheel and aspect ratio.
Head being ported and rebuilt by Race Developments.

Reactions: Smirky
Wow lol, So just a few LITTLE bits then haha.

Look forward to seeing the machine again, we will have to arrange a RR day when its all up and running

Wow lol, So just a few LITTLE bits then haha.

Look forward to seeing the machine again, we will have to arrange a RR day when its all up and running

It's taken a bit longer than expected as each little bit uncovered something else and the head was the icing on that cake.

Today's quiz.

Spot the head....amongst all the others....

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake 61 and S.
Nearly done....

Supertech valves and IE bits and pieces this time....Tim says he's run these to over 10 000 rpm in EVo drag engines,so that's good enough for me.

Reactions: HHS3, MICHAEL PARKER, leshkin and 1 other person
Nice. Top quality work as usual.
Soon your car will be back on the road, hopefuly mine too.

Nice. Top quality work as usual.
Soon your car will be back on the road, hopefuly mine too.

I think I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel now...LOL

It has been a looonngg journey this time around.
I'm very glad it got done this way,or we'd not have found the head problems until something failed big time....and also even though it cost more,having the bottom end stripped(!) and inspected made me feel a lot happier about Andy pushing the engine harder this time.

The head work wasn't cheap,but I know Tim has the best reputation for this sort of thing,and a race proven set of credentials.....for anyone looking for this type of work,he is the go to guy.
He is neck deep in work,if you look at his Facebook page,and deservedly so.

Hopefully we both get our cars running for the better weather approaching.

Reactions: leshkin and S.