Tim D's B9 S4 Avant Thread

TimD

Reaction score
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon to share my experiences with my new car which was delivered today.

The car was sourced through Select Car Leasing, who scoured Audi dealers to find someone who could match (or get close to) a good lease deal that had been available in the Autumn, but I'd not been ready for.

As I'd been able to get the order number and the dealership name from the lease broker, I was able to track the car on yourAudi. It had obviously originally been a dealer order, because the original order date was early Nov, yet I had ordered on the 3oth Nov.

As the car is on a two year lease I have deliberately held back on the options. Optional extras on a leased car tend to simply have their cost spread over the 24 months, so it can soon really drive the total lease cost up.

The car is S4 Avant, with the only options being the 20 spoke 19" wheels, Navarra Blue metallic paint and the Audi Virtual Cockpit.

There's no posh hand over experience with a leased car. A very pleasant chap just turned up with the car, which was nice and clean (it had just been through the car wash, which will make some of you wince!), got me to sign some paperwork and that was that - he went off to catch the bus.

Very interesting first spot was that the tyres were not the expected Hankooks, but are Continental Sport Contact 6. So far, I think that all 19" wheeled S4s had Hankooks...

I can't do a worthwhile review of the options that others have done, as it is all pretty simple:
Virtual Cockpit - relatively speaking a bargain and opens up a bunch of extra tech
19" million spoke wheels - I did not like the 18" wheels or the options that are multi coloured, plus the million spoke wheels were cheap - only £275
Metallic paint - I knew I wanted Navarra Blue as soon as I saw it.

The other options which I would have liked, but did not go for in order to keep the cost under control were:
Matrix Lights via the Light & Vision pack - extra £500 - I suspect that they are brilliant, but I think the std LEDs will do me fine.
Carbon Atlas inlays £425 - I love a bit of carbon. But the alloy looks pretty nice
Foldy mirrors £325 - primarily this would have been because I am used to looking at my old car (BMW) and telling whether I had remembered to lock it by looking at the folded mirrors. I'll live without it
Hill Hold assist £75 - probably should have gone for this, as I did use it in my old BMW.
Red painted callipers £300 - would have looked cool. If I really want them, I'll do it myself...
Privacy glass £450 - I really flip/flop whether I like this or not, so decided not to go for it. Sometimes it looks a bit garish, I think - or makes an estate car look like a van.
So, If I had chosen that lot, it would have made my total cost over the 2 years £14, 875 rather than the current £12,800 - so not worth a 16% cost increase.

Can't post much in the way of driving impressions yet, as I've only driven it for about 10 miles. But it is fair to say that they were excellent...

Attachments

• IMG_5155 copy.JPG
    IMG_5155 copy.JPG
    977.2 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_5156 copy.JPG
    IMG_5156 copy.JPG
    949.4 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_5157 copy.JPG
    IMG_5157 copy.JPG
    967.3 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_5159 copy.JPG
    IMG_5159 copy.JPG
    820.9 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_5160 copy.JPG
    IMG_5160 copy.JPG
    804.3 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_5162 copy.JPG
    IMG_5162 copy.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 748
Reactions: Bristle Hound, QTNC, ub7rm and 5 others
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon to share my experiences with my new car which was delivered today.

The car was sourced through Select Car Leasing, who scoured Audi dealers to find someone who could match (or get close to) a good lease deal that had been available in the Autumn, but I'd not been ready for.

As I'd been able to get the order number and the dealership name from the lease broker, I was able to track the car on yourAudi. It had obviously originally been a dealer order, because the original order date was early Nov, yet I had ordered on the 3oth Nov.

As the car is on a two year lease I have deliberately held back on the options. Optional extras on a leased car tend to simply have their cost spread over the 24 months, so it can soon really drive the total lease cost up.

The car is S4 Avant, with the only options being the 20 spoke 19" wheels, Navarra Blue metallic paint and the Audi Virtual Cockpit.

There's no posh hand over experience with a leased car. A very pleasant chap just turned up with the car, which was nice and clean (it had just been through the car wash, which will make some of you wince!), got me to sign some paperwork and that was that - he went off to catch the bus.

Very interesting first spot was that the tyres were not the expected Hankooks, but are Continental Sport Contact 6. So far, I think that all 19" wheeled S4s had Hankooks...

I can't do a worthwhile review of the options that others have done, as it is all pretty simple:
Virtual Cockpit - relatively speaking a bargain and opens up a bunch of extra tech
19" million spoke wheels - I did not like the 18" wheels or the options that are multi coloured, plus the million spoke wheels were cheap - only £275

The other options which I would have liked, but did not go for in order to keep the cost under control were:
Matrix Lights via the Light & Vision pack - extra £500 - I suspect that they are brilliant, but I think the std LEDs will do me fine.
Carbon Atlas inlays £425 - I love a bit of carbon. But the alloy looks pretty nice
Foldy mirrors £325 - primarily this would have been because I am used to looking at my old car (BMW) and telling whether I had remembered to lock it by looking at the folded mirrors. I'll live without it
Hill Hold assist £75 - probably should have gone for this, as I did use it in my old BMW.
Red painted callipers £300 - would have looked cool. If I really want them, I'll do it myself...
Privacy glass £450 - I really flip/flop whether I like this or not, so decided not to go for it. Sometimes it looks a bit garish, I think - or makes an estate car look like a van.
So, If I had chosen that lot, it would have made my total cost over the 2 years £14, 875 rather than the current £12,800 - so not worth a 16% cost increase.

Can't post much in the way of driving impressions yet, as I've only driven it for about 10 miles. But it is fair to say that they were excellent...

Great colour buddy.

Carwash? But damn you for getting those tyres! The Hankooks are pretty poor in the wet/grease. Be great to hear your feedback on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely. Those are the wheels I'd have gone for if I'd have had the option. Diamond cut is all well and good till you scratch them - then it's a sore one.

The standard spec on the b9 is a world away for the standard spec on the b8. Plenty to play with!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Great thread I'm gonna have a load of questions for you tho as I'm waiting for mine also from select car leasing. I ordered on Nov 11 and they are now saying that it's stuck at the docks while they get all the 66 plates delivered. Even tho I wasn't bothered about having a 17 plate.

I asked if they will send me info to track and was told they can't do that for anyone. I'm now thinking that they are fobbing me off because it's sat there but they want to have it on 17plate for there Benefit if that makes sense lol.

They told me today that it will be driven up rather than on a truck. Did it come in good condition etc?

How reliable where they with the date they quoted to getting it to you?

Looks like you got the same deal as me give or take as I'm paying about the same but have you seen how much they are on there site if you order now ?

You was saying about painting callipers. I've never leased before but can you do this? I want to get privacy glass by local company as it's only £80 (I won a offer on Facebook)

Great thread I'm gonna have a load of questions for you tho as I'm waiting for mine also from select car leasing. I ordered on Nov 11 and they are now saying that it's stuck at the docks while they get all the 66 plates delivered. Even tho I wasn't bothered about having a 17 plate.

I wondered whether the finance company might hold mine back because they wanted it registered after 1st March, but it did not happen. I have had this with company cars before.

I asked if they will send me info to track and was told they can't do that for anyone. I'm now thinking that they are fobbing me off because it's sat there but they want to have it on 17plate for there Benefit if that makes sense lol.

I did not specifically ask for the tracking info, but because I was a bit paranoid whether it was actually a firm order, they asked the dealer for an order number, who then replied direct to me. From a hunch I read either on this forum or another, I matched that order number with the dealer's postcode and was able to track in yourAudi.

They told me today that it will be driven up rather than on a truck. Did it come in good condition etc?

Yes it was driven here - delivered by a nice chap from BCA. I didn't ask, but I wonder whether it was actually delivered to BCA and driven from there (Bicester) rather than going to the dealer chain's prep centre. It had 131 miles on the clock and was nice and clean apart from a bit of road dirt on the wheels. Getting a leased car driven to you is pretty much the norm as far as I'm aware.

How reliable where they with the date they quoted to getting it to you?

The original target was March/April, which quickly became early March. The weekly email updates from Select just said "The dealership has informed us that it is build week 4, estimated to arrive early March" but this did not bother me as I was tracking myself. It was Build week 4. The updates from Select actually stopped when it got built... but once I knew it had left the factory and had a VIN, I subtly prompted the dealer to start prepping the finance paperwork. There was then direct dialogue with the dealer, but I was careful not to be a pain in the ****, in case they clammed up and just pushed me back to doing things via the broker.

Looks like you got the same deal as me give or take as I'm paying about the same but have you seen how much they are on there site if you order now ?

Wow, yes, mine would be over £20k over the 2 years now.

You was saying about painting callipers. I've never leased before but can you do this? I want to get privacy glass by local company as it's only £80 (I won a offer on Facebook)

I am sure that the official answer is no, you can't. I actually doubt I'll do it, but I am pretty sure that either I could do it, and they would not notice, or do it and then repaint them black a month before it goes back. Either way, the guy collecting it will not have a detailed enough description of what was standard, or what was not.

Reactions: Keef
Thanks for sharing you pics! Same colour and wheels as my order and it looks great! Eager not only for the car but also to see what tyres I end up with! :)

Very nice Tim!

Let's hope as our cars aren't here yet, Audi have ran out of 19" hankooks... That's assuming contis SC6 perform better than SC3s

Cheers Tim and apologies for the million questions I'm gonna email them today. I was the same build week :)

I think I will just get the privacy glass fitted and not say anything then if it's an Issue on return I'm pretty sure it just pulls off like a sticker.

Look forward to hearing what the tyres are like in a few miles time :)

Cheers

If you don't have the upgraded light package do you still have the cool looking sweeping indicators? I hope so cause I love the look of them

If you don't have the upgraded light package do you still have the cool looking sweeping indicators? I hope so cause I love the look of them

Rears are sweeping on all S4s. Fronts only sweep as part of the pack that has matrix lights.

Reactions: Nath.S4 and duckduck
Cheers guys that's ok then I was about to be disappointed :)

Reactions: duckduck

@TimD - Fab looking S4 Avant Tim. Congrats ! :thumbs up:

Another great owners thread. Keep 'em up folks

Just went for a quick look at mine which I will collect on Friday night. It has the Hancook tyres!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes. It's still got some of the wrap on but really pleased with the whole package. Gave it a quick once over to check all the required bits and bobs were present. The powered boot closure is a really cool feature that I did not realise was standard. Really excited about this car - definitely looking forwards to pick-up time when it's nice and clean!

Inside:
IMG 20170227 172533

Outside:
IMG 20170227 172514

Reactions: Rob_F, Bristle Hound, Thundercliffe81 and 2 others
@duckduck - Nice car :)

Quick update on my experiences so far

Good

Build quality - it's a lovely place to be, and all seems to be well screwed together (except * button, as below)

Lights - The standard LEDs are fantastic. As I'd previously mentioned, I am coming from a car that had fairly poor halogens, so frankly my MTB lights might have been better, but these are great. The auto high-beam assist works perfectly. I am sure that the Matrix lights are better, but I won't miss them until I try a car that has them, I guess.

Performance: Of course - this is good. Not following any particular running in regime, apart from steering clear (mostly) of the top 25% of the rev range. My mileage is mostly at 110 mile round trip for work, most of which is at about 70-75mph. This is not great for the early life of an engine, so I do tend to boot it a bit more once it's warmed up and before I hit the dual carriageways, at some junctions in the middle and towards the end of the drive. I haven't opened the taps properly and there's plenty of performance offered!

CarPlay - whilst it is a bit of a dumbed down interface, it's great to be able to control podcasts from the MMI. I have to admit that I did sometimes fiddle with my phone in my old BM to move from podcast to podcast and wind back and forth, but now it just stays in the centre console.

Not so good -

Seat comfort: I have not really got comfortable in the seats properly, and actually find myself with a bit of back pain after about 40 mins. Not entirely sure why, and the massage function doesn't really seem to help. I'll need to try a variety of different positions. Past experience is that sometimes changing something you don't think will be relevant is the bit that sorts it out.

Steering wheel: I find that where I rest my thumbs just over the wheel spokes is a bit hard because of the stitching. Perhaps the flat-bummed wheel might have been better as it looks like the spokes might be lower.

The "*" button. My * button (which I have got still set to control the Drive Select) is squeaky.

I found the Audi Sound System really harsh initially when playing music. Too much treble and too much bass, without an overall depth. That was only in early days and have mostly been listening to speech and podcasts since, so will have to give it another try and see if I can tweak the settings.

Other observations

I forgot to mention in my initial write up that there was also the iPhone charging cable in the car. Bearing in mind that my car is leased and they don't give away anything for free, I presume that it's actually part of the standard UK spec, otherwise it would not be there. As I understand it, my car never went to an Audi dealers - just straight from docks to BCA for PDI and then driven to me, so they will probably not have been able to consciously add it in.

Drive select - Given the spec of my car, there are not as many variables as there are for some others, and I think I would prefer to be able to skip some of the preset settings when scrolling through using the steering wheel button. Obviously I could do it quicker using the dash buttons. I'd prefer if I could just have it cycle between Efficiency, Auto and Dynamic, I think.

Economy - kind of as expected. On my easy commutes it is usually between 31 and 33 mpg. Driving around on short journeys in Dynamic leads to mid to upper teens.

I'm sure I will think of more in due course...

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Thundercliffe81 and duckduck
Nice update and review @TimD.

You've gone for the best S colour as well.

I hope the sound improves - I consciously didn't order the upgrade stereo. Hope I'm not disappointed....

She looks like a beaut and thanks for the detailed write up!

Just ordered mine in the same colour!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and duckduck
Have got through a couple of full tanks of fuel now. First tank 31.2mpg, @ ave speed 50mph, second 27.6mpg @ 42mph. So, just under 30mpg so far. My journeys are pretty easy going on relatively quiet dual carriageways, and I am not driving for economy - i.e. i put my foot down where it makes a difference. Efficiency programme must only make a marginal difference... I don't think it changes the fuelling at all, it just stops you using the accelerator, and is therefore annoying, and possibly a bit dangerous. I'm only ever using Auto and Dynamic now.

To compare, the S4 has replaced a BMW 520d M Sport Auto, which was 47.5mpg, but was half as much fun.

I think that 30mpg, or even low twenties will be fine for a car with the performance of the S4. There's no point having a performance car and then driving it like a Nun in order to try to get epic economy.

I looked back over some previous cars - X5 3.0d which averaged 25mpg, Cayenne that averaged 14, 911 that averaged 19.5, and most alarmingly a couple of 3.0 Jag X-types that averaged 23mpg. To be honest that lot make the S4 look like a Prius.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Daggerit, duckduck and 1 other person
Have got through a couple of full tanks of fuel now. First tank 31.2mpg, @ ave speed 50mph, second 27.6mpg @ 42mph. So, just under 30mpg so far. My journeys are pretty easy going on relatively quiet dual carriageways, and I am not driving for economy - i.e. i put my foot down where it makes a difference. Efficiency programme must only make a marginal difference... I don't think it changes the fuelling at all, it just stops you using the accelerator, and is therefore annoying, and possibly a bit dangerous. I'm only ever using Auto and Dynamic now.

To compare, the S4 has replaced a BMW 520d M Sport Auto, which was 47.5mpg, but was half as much fun.

I think that 30mpg, or even low twenties will be fine for a car with the performance of the S4. There's no point having a performance car and then driving it like a Nun in order to try to get epic economy.

I looked back over some previous cars - X5 3.0d which averaged 25mpg, Cayenne that averaged 14, 911 that averaged 19.5, and most alarmingly a couple of 3.0 Jag X-types that averaged 23mpg. To be honest that lot make the S4 look like a Prius.

It's hard to argue with the performance turbos now I must admit. The V10 NA R8 and Hurracan though are just marvels.

Can't remember if I got the recommendation from on this forum or just googled it, but here is the boot liner I've got. Got it front the awfully named bootsliners.co.uk and am pretty happy with it for £30.
IMG 5365

Reactions: scotty76, bleedsoff, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
Interesting one on the seat and having a sore back. I used to get the same thing in my b8.5 S4 with the supersports which was disappointing having paid a pretty penny for them and they were the most adjustable seats id ever had to boot so couldn't figure out why they weren't comfortable on long journeys. Then I started to use the pull out bit on the base of the seat and that made all the difference. If you're not extending the seat out id suggest giving it a go.

Interesting one on the seat and having a sore back. I used to get the same thing in my b8.5 S4 with the supersports which was disappointing having paid a pretty penny for them and they were the most adjustable seats id ever had to boot so couldn't figure out why they weren't comfortable on long journeys. Then I started to use the pull out bit on the base of the seat and that made all the difference. If you're not extending the seat out id suggest giving it a go.

Thanks - I will try that. After some fiddling it has got better, and I do sometimes suffer from a bit of a bad back anyway. I'll give the set extender a try.

Update - now on 2200 miles, average economy 29.8mpg with the trip computer proving to be about 2 to 3% optimistic.

Back-ache much better - I think I might just have been slouching.

Frustrated that the traffic updates via TMC Pro when the eSIM has no coverage seem not to come through (see separate thread) - will turn off the eSIM and try to route everything through my iPhone at some point.

Unfortunately had a puncture on Saturday - no idea what it was, but a big hole right through the thickest part of the tread on a rear tyre, so had to get a new Conti SportContact 6 245/35 ZR19 XL 93Y yaddayadda carlos fandango super monte carlo tyre. Fortunately managed to track one down on Saturday afternoon: £188 locally - which was cheaper than Blackcircles. Could have got a bit cheaper from Camskill but 4 working days to deliver. The tyre isn't the R02 designation. Tyre chap says that there is no difference on these tyres - although there are unlimited internet forum discussions stating that there is (a) no difference, or (b) a MASSIVE difference. Also interesting that the tyre finder on the Audi website is quite happy to recommend non A0 and lists no R01 or R02 tyres, which apparently are normally on RS models. Am I still the only person who got my S4 with Contis rather than Hankooks?

Hopefully I'll find out what rubber my s4 has this week!

Update - now on 2200 miles, average economy 29.8mpg with the trip computer proving to be about 2 to 3% optimistic.

Back-ache much better - I think I might just have been slouching.

Frustrated that the traffic updates via TMC Pro when the eSIM has no coverage seem not to come through (see separate thread) - will turn off the eSIM and try to route everything through my iPhone at some point.

Unfortunately had a puncture on Saturday - no idea what it was, but a big hole right through the thickest part of the tread on a rear tyre, so had to get a new Conti SportContact 6 245/35 ZR19 XL 93Y yaddayadda carlos fandango super monte carlo tyre. Fortunately managed to track one down on Saturday afternoon: £188 locally - which was cheaper than Blackcircles. Could have got a bit cheaper from Camskill but 4 working days to deliver. The tyre isn't the R02 designation. Tyre chap says that there is no difference on these tyres - although there are unlimited internet forum discussions stating that there is (a) no difference, or (b) a MASSIVE difference. Also interesting that the tyre finder on the Audi website is quite happy to recommend non A0 and lists no R01 or R02 tyres, which apparently are normally on RS models. Am I still the only person who got my S4 with Contis rather than Hankooks?

Sorry to hear about your puncture bro. Don't know anyone else without Hankooks.

I got Pirellis :) but I got the baby alloys haha
c10e33ad627591eb68155750e8dd4a96.jpg

Also got a puncher but was repaired and told that the repair will be as good as the tire was before so went for that

Reactions: DJBuk and Thundercliffe81
Sorry to hear about your puncture bro. Don't know anyone else without Hankooks.

I got Pirellis on my S4 last month...

Update at 4000 miles...

E-sim black-spots: This seemed to fix itself. I had the MMI restart itself a few minutes into the commute to work one day, and I think since then I have not had any times when the MMI has reported no coverage. Of course it could have just been that a key transmitter had been out of action for upgrade for a month, which does happen.

Seats: The backache has gone. I do now have the seat extender out a little bit, but I think it was also just a question of breaking the seats in a bit, and making sure I was sitting right back in the seat.

Fuel economy: Still sitting at 29.7mpg - no real complaints there. In my long commutes I have been wondering if the car might be more economical in Dynamic, when not in sport mode and when driving with the speed limiter on 80mph. My theory being that if the exhaust is slightly less restricted, it could be more economical? And it sounds better :) :)

Audi Sound system: It took a while of me fiddling with it, but I am now very happy with it. i think I had previously tried to adjust the balance and fader so that there appeared to be the same sound level coming from front and back and left and right. This tended to just make it sound poor, with both too much bass from the sub, and also too sharp treble. I think that the main thing was adjusting the fader further forward, and I have to say I am very happy with it

No other real issues to report. Everything seems to be working as it is supposed to. I had noticed that the lumbar support seems to come on a few mins into the journey - thought that this was a fault but it seems others are seeing it too.

The over-riding thing that continues to amuse me is the Virtual Cockpit. I can't imagine having a car without this now. My personal preference is Classic Layout, two big dials, with MPG in the left dial, Short term memory in the centre and the sat nav details in the centre of the rev counter. I can't really see how they could improve this!

Reactions: 5pot, Daggerit, Thundercliffe81 and 2 others
Nice to see more positive reviews of the S4. :)

I'm also quite impressed that the average economy is almost 30mpg, I'd be happy with that given the performance. Since my daily commute is quite short I imagine mine will be more like 22mpg though. Haha.

Reactions: 5pot and Keef
A bit of an update at 7,600 miles (after 4.5 months :-o)...

Most things settled down.
  • * button on dash does not squeak, or I have stopped noticing it
  • My back is fine on the 110 mile daily round trip
  • eSim doesn't ever lose connection any more
  • Fuel economy now at 29.97mpg - lowest is 27.22, highest 32.37. Average speed is circa 47mph
  • Biggest fill up 55.19L - so there is still clearly some left when it says range 0 miles :-o again
  • I've noticed that the side bolsters on the seat (which I have on max inflation) are starting to make a little noise when they inflate
  • No unusual tyre wear
  • Nothing has fallen off or started rattling
Only real issue (as mentioned on other threads) is the Nav getting stuck on the Google Earth loading page, but it seems that plenty of others are suffering this. A tad annoying - drove from M25 to Portsmouth yesterday and it never actually loaded the map...

Still loving it.

Reactions: Soot1e, Keef, Daggerit and 1 other person
Great review, I'm just approaching 2k miles so nice to read about cars that are ahead on mileage.

Great review, I'm just approaching 2k miles so nice to read about cars that are ahead on mileage.

I'm on 12k already Running grand. Gearbox is very very lazy in drive though. I remember that 'hesitation' thread a few months back. I can see his point.

I just leave my car set to individual, with everything set to dynamic except gearbox. Then I just pull back into sports at junctions.
Did this on my old S4 - works for me but I do get the point about hesitation, is very annoying.

I just leave my car set to individual, with everything set to dynamic except gearbox. Then I just pull back into sports at junctions.
Did this on my old S4 - works for me but I do get the point about hesitation, is very annoying.

Yeah that's the quick fix I use obviously. All about trade-offs isn't it.

Time for an end-of-term report for my S4 - which went back to the leasing company last week.

Total distance covered: 35,303 miles
Fuel used: 5427.49 L
Fuel cost: £6753.46
Fuel cost per mile: 19.1p
Worst economy over a tank: 21.5 mpg
Best economy over a tank: 32.87 mpg
Longest range: 394 miles
Biggest fill-up: 55.49L
Average economy: 29.62 mpg
The majority of my miles are at 70mph or a tiny bit more, officer on a 100 mile daily commute.

Tyres: 3.
One rear replaced after 1 month - 2000 miles - (pothole puncture) £186
One front replaced at 15000 miles (pothole puncture...) £226.74
Other front replaced at 18108 miles at service (near legal limit) £198.60
At hand back, fronts 75% worn, rears 90% worn
Note: in the 3000 miles when I had one front on 80% worn and the other new, there was what I thought to be a slight imbalance, but was probably the diff complaining - sorry car! After the other front was replaced, it was all smooth again.

Service: One at 18108 miles. £476.21 (plus the tyre mentioned above) Nothing else done.
Front pads were 50% worn at 18k miles (so probably 35% worn really) so would have been tired by the time I gave the car back.
Next service was due in 1200 miles when I handed the car back :)

Original lease cost £12,633.60 for 20,000 miles
I bought an extra 12000 miles when I had done about 26000 miles and negotiated a rate of 9.97pence per mile (£1196.36)
Excess mileage 3252 at contracted rate of 15.58ppm (£506.53)
Chargeable repairs: Refurb one alloy wheel - £36.

So total cost over term for lease, fuel, tyres and servicing: £22213.50, or 62.9p per mile

The asked if I wanted a purchase price at the end of lease, and they offered £30,350, which I actually think was pretty fair.

Faults: Rear washer nozzle packed up at about 30,000 miles - didn't bother getting it fixed.

What was good:
The performance
The noise
Nothing fell off
LED lights
Virtual Cockpit

What was not so good
#1 without a doubt is the gearbox - you can excuse it if you are a fanatic, but there were lots of occasions where it just didn't respond at all how I'd have liked in either Drive or Sport auto mode - sometimes a bit dangerous. Realistically I probably drove the majority of the time with the gearstick popped to the left and used the paddles. More predictable and a bit more engaging.
There were two Google Earth outages for a number of days
The wheels were a pain in the **** to clean. On the bright side I had my house refurbed last year and had an outside hot tap put in (ostensibly for dog washing) but I found that a hot water jet wash got them cleaned up pretty well :)

I'll add more as I remember it...

Reactions: scotty76, Bristle Hound and Keef
@TimD great info!
In stark comparison, my S4 is just shy of 2 years and I’m on 14k miles.

I’m on my 3rd, 3 year pcp deal, but contemplating leasing next!

So what car is next for you??

@Keef have changed direction a bit - Jag XF Sportbrake 2.0 (250hp) R-Sport. Sub £10k lease cost, and a change of scene for a couple of years. Audi did offer to quote me for a replacement S4, but lease cost was over £20k over 2 years - jokers!

If you want to pick up the gist of playing the bargain lease game, check out the lease deals thread (and FAQ) on Pistonheads. but there is not much about at the moment.