Ticking noise on 3.0tdi

christopher barnes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a loud ticking noise from the pass side of the engine on idle, it did go away for a while but it has come back, there's no performance loss (as far as I know, new car and brand to me), no docs are present. The car has been remapped (No proof) and has no dpf or cats fitted, it's be nice to see if I can locate and fix this, it definitely isn't timing chain rattle.
I'm planning on keeping her for while as my daily so I'm biting the bullet and making her as mint as I can.
20181204 105303 3024x2268

I do have this noise on my c7 biturbo allrd a ticking noise at idle when in drive but silent in neutral doesn’t happen all the time but happens more when engine is warm stationary only

Fault fixed...the injesctors on the ns bank of cylinders were leaking, esp the one closest to the front of the car, i removed them, cleaned the seats of carbon, cleaned the injectors and fitted new injector seals. Noise gone!!

Reactions: Buxton2901 and Rhyso
It sounded like a rain... choo choo choo, from the passenger bank of cylinders..i then un plugged each injector when running to see which one was the cause, the noise reduces when the affected injector is unplugged.